You're Still Around

Painful Goodbye

 

Time passed by and they became a couple. Days were filled with love and romance. When they were together, it seems that time was fleeting. When they were apart, everything was in slow mo. They felt deeply in love with each other. They think that they cannot live without each other. And so, they have decided to live together. They rented a small apartment in the suburbs, waiting for the perfect time when they have invested enough money for their marriage. They promised that they will love and protect each other until the day they die. Junhyung worked hard for their living. He doesn’t want her to take any job. He doesn’t want her to be tired from any work. He just wished her to stay at his side, be a perfect and lovely wife he was dreaming of and so she followed.

 

Months passed and everything was roughly perfect. She always woke up early in the morning to prepare their breakfast and Junhyung’s clothes. He will go to his work, leaving her with a soft goodbye kiss. She will clean the house—do some household chores while patiently waiting for the night to come. She will then prepare for their dinner and wait again. He will go back home, kiss her and eat the food she prepared. They will sleep together, sometimes making love passionately. Those were their happy days but little by little those days are gone. Seems everything has changed gradually. Junhyung, being promoted, became very busy with his job. He slowly loses time for his girl. He always came home late, looking tired and upset. When she asks him to spend time with her—shop with her at the mall, eat at their favorite restaurant, or even watch a movie with her, he always reject her. When she cooks food for two, she’s just eating all of it alone. When they were together in bed, even though they were inches close to each other, it seems that they were million miles apart. The flame of their passionate relationship begins to fade away.

 

One night, she prepared his favorite food for their dinner but Junhyung got home late. He was drunk and there were lipstick stains on his shirt. He was tipsy when he entered their house. She helped him walk straight until they reached their bedroom.

“What happened to you? You’re drunk. And your smell…isn’t that like a girl’s? Do you have other woman than me? That’s why you’re acting cold at me these past few days. Tell me. Are you seeing other woman? Don’t you love me?”

Junhyung just scratched the back of his head.

“Whatever. I have to sleep now. I have work tomorrow.”

Junhyung took off his shirt and lay down to bed.

“Don’t you dare sleep without telling me the truth. Junhyung, please tell me the truth.”

He sluggishly sits up and looked at her.

“What truth? The truth here is I am really tired and I need to doze off. So shut up now. Let’s go to bed.”

“Tss. Tired? What the hell are you trying to say? You’re not the only one who’s exhausted here. ”

She poked Junhyung but he avoided her. She hit him with a pillow, once, twice until he talks to her.

“Ya! Stop doing that!”

Junhyung threw the pillows away from him and he stopped her from beating him. He hugged her but she still keeps on hitting his chest.

“I hate you. I hate you. I hate you. Why are you doing this to me Junhyung? I thought you love me and I thought you always will but why...”

He let her go and sit down on the bed.

“I’m just tired. Come on. Let’s just sleep it off.” “

For once, just tell me you still love me…”

He replied with silence.

“I will ask you again. And please, answer me! DO YOU STILL LOVE ME?”

He flicked his tongue and stood up. He took his clothes on, his cellular phone, some of his important things and packed it all up with his travelling bag.

“Junhyung…what are you doing?”

He’s too busy packing his things to answer her. He rushed off to the door to get rid of her. She followed him until the doorway.

“Where are you going?”

“I’m leaving now.”

“Why? Ok. Junhyung, I’m sorry. I won’t ask you again those nonsense questions. I won’t bother you again. Let’s sleep now, ok? Please put that bag back on the cabinet and let’s get back to bed, arasseo?”

He replied with silence and continued to walk out of the door. She kneeled down and embraced his leg, begging him to not leave her but it seems that he doesn’t even heard a single word from her. He soullessly left her and that’s how they end their once sweet relationship.

 

She still can’t forget him. Her thoughts were filled with him. She never eats normally. She was always drunk. She cried her eyes out until she has gone to sleep. In dreams, she can escape from the painful reality that the man she loved has left her. Sometimes, she wished that she will never wake up again so she cannot feel the pain anymore. She had attempts of killing herself but unfortunately, she’s still alive and breathing. She still wakes up; she still feels the pain, the longing of her lost love. She always punches his number on her phone hoping that he will answer her, yearning to hear his sweet voice but she always hear the dial tone. Every day, every night, she spends it with waiting for him to come back.

 “What if I die, will he come to see me again?”

 

She finally decided to make a deal. She will send a final voice message to Junhyung and if he replied, she won’t put herself to death. She dialled his number and after hearing the beep, she started to give her message.

“Junhyung~ah. Hello, it’s me again. I know you don’t want to hear my voice or even see me but I want to hear your voice. I really want to. I want to hear you say that you will come back to me…and that you still love me. God, this sounds so impossible now, but I’m still waiting for you to say those words again. You know, I miss you so much. I will wait for your call. I love you so much. I won’t bear to say the word ‘Goodbye’ and so I won’t say it. I love you. I will love you forever.”

Hours passed but she doesn’t even have a phone call from Junhyung and she’s still holding her phone close to her heart, still waiting for it to ring but it doesn’t. Moments later, the door bell rang and so she excitedly opened the door but it wasn’t the way she expected.

 

Days passed and it seems that Junhyung has finally get his head right again. He decided to call her back, asking for forgiveness…asking for her to love him again. He knew he was wrong from letting her go, from taking her for granted. He was wrong from giving her so much pain while she loves him faithfully. He knew he was stupid but he wants to make things right between the two of them and he hopes that he wasn’t late. He called her on the phone but nobody answers him. He never stopped from calling her until he could hear her voice. At last, he finally heard someone on the line. He knew this voice. This sweet soft voice he really missed so much. Now that she’s answered him back, it’s time for her to know that he was sorry about the things he has done to her.

“Hello.”

“Oh thank goodness. You finally picked up your phone. Baby, I knew I was stupid to hurt you but I regret all those things. I’m sorry. I love you so much. I love you. I’m sorry. Please forgive me.”

“I know you would call me back. I was right. I was waiting for your call and I’m glad that I am hearing your voice right now.”

“I want to see you.”

“You don’t need to. I’ll be gone in any moment. I just wanted you to know that I will always love you. Even if I will no longer exist, I still love you. Be happy.”

“What are you talking about? Aren’t you still in the apartment? I will go there. Promise me that you’ll wait for me, ok? I’ll be hanging up. I love you so much.”

 

He dashed to the apartment only to know that nobody’s home. The whole place was as quiet as he keeps on calling her name, no one answered him.

“Maybe she wasn’t here. I better call her again.”

He was about to dial to his phone when the wind blew hard. The wind chimes started to produce magical sounds and the cold breeze made him shiver. He rubbed his hands to warm himself when he suddenly pointed his eyes at the picture on the table.

“I already miss you.”

And he kissed the picture.

 

He heard the door opened.

“You’re back.”

Surprisingly, it was the girl’s gay friend who entered the house.

“Where is she? Do you know where she is?”

The gay crossed his arms and came near him.

“So, how dare you go back here again? After you left her waiting for you? How dare you. And you haven’t heard anything about my friend?”

Shocked and startled, he shook his shoulders off.

“Why? What happened to her? Where the hell is she? Answer me. I need to see her.”

“She’s gone.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“She’s dead…”

Shocked, Junhyung’s mouth was wide opened as he knelt down the floor. He grabbed the picture and held it close to his heart. Tears flow down to his face.

“Why did she die? How did this happen? How did I let that happened to her? I’m such a fool.”

 

“Yes, you really are! It’s your fault. You killed her from giving her too much pain. Maybe if you don’t leave her, maybe she was still alive. She was calling you on your phone but you didn’t answer. She needed you but you took her for granted.”

Junhyung was still in the state of shock and he has lost his words.

“Someone has entered the apartment that night and she thought it was you but it wasn’t. That shameless animal her and killed her when she tried to scream and called for help.  She was holding tightly her cellular phone when her body was found. Her body was too stiff enough so the doctors let her just hold the phone until her body was buried. ”

 

“But she has answered my call…”

 

Junhyung felt like his world is crushing bit by bit. He can’t believe that she’s dead, that she’s left him and it was his entire fault. He cried and screamed like a mad man. He will definitely live his life full of regret but still he was very grateful that he has met someone like her who loved him as much as he love her – someone who could love him even if she finally crossed paths with death. He will be forever grateful that he had experience love and promised that he will love no other girl than her. Even if she was gone, he knew that her love was still around him.