The Meeting

Painful Goodbye

 

 

It was too painful for him to accept the truth that she’s finally leaving him. Every memory of them together was too precious for him to forget. Every time spent with her is his treasure. But he can’t believe it’s easy for her to leave him without saying a word. He was wishing he could turn back the time. He’s still wishing she’s still there at his side but it’s too late. She’s far away. She’s never coming back. She’s gone.

***

 

Junhyung remembered the first day they met each other. It was a bright sunny day when he decided to take a short walk. He was listening to his iPod when he noticed that his shoelace was untied. He fixed it up and he bowed a little. When he straightened up, he saw a beautiful young woman walking down the street. Cheesy as it may sounds but there was music in his ears and he feels like time has stopped for a moment. He thinks… no, he already knew he found the girl he was waiting for all of his life… and he will never forgive himself if he doesn’t make her to be his girl.

Dugeun…dugeun…

He was point-blanked staring at the girl and he unconsciously started walking towards her. She was startled why on earth he was heading into her. She can’t help herself but to shy away from him but she remained from looking at this weird Junhyung.

Crash!

Pathetically, he tripped himself from weird vines crawling on the street that he didn’t really notice.  Immediately, the girl rushed towards him to make sure that he’s okay. She looked at his face, worried for she believed she’s the reason why he was knocked down. When Junhyung has finally regained his consciousness, he grabbed the girl’s hand and looked at her. Shocked, the girl took away her hands and walked away from him. She dropped her handkerchief and has forgotten about it but Junhyung will never ever forget her. He was holding the handkerchief as tight as he is holding his hope that they will meet again someday.

 

Junhyung is always bringing the handkerchief with him everywhere he goes just in case that they will meet again, he was ready to back himself up and make a reason for them to talk or whatsoever. One day, he was walking at the department store, checking up some newly designed hats for his gift to his friend Hyunseung when he saw the girl at the ladies’ section. She’s far from his sight but he knew it was her. She was alone and so he gathered all his courage to come near her. But much to his dismay, a guy approached her. He suddenly stopped from walking, crinkled his forehead and flicked his tongue.

Does he lose his chance? Does she have a boyfriend?

But he doesn’t want to end his hope. He wanted her to be his girl. So like a fool, he walked pass through them and bumped the guy who was with his dream girl which cause the guy to lose his balance. Handsomely, Junhyung say sorry to the girl but not to the guy he bumped.

“Sorry but I don’t know you have a cheap taste.”

He walked away clenching his fist tight. The girl was shocked but she has managed to help the guy while still looking at Junhyung.

“Yah! Micheosseo??? Aisshh! Such a crazy guy. He doesn’t even know how to say sorry”.

Kwanghee annoyingly brushed off his shoulders.

“Yah! Do you know him? He even told you that you have a cheap taste. Huh! Does he think I’m your boyfriend? He’s really nuts.”

She just smiled.

“I don’t know him but maybe I should find out who he is. Kwanghee, you go home first… I have something important to do.”

The girl gave him her paper bags and run without ever looking back.

“Hey sis! Come back here! Don’t leave me. Aigoo~ these things are damn so heavy. My muscles will appear!”

 

She searched the mall, everywhere, searching for the man she thought she knew. She doesn’t know but deep in her heart she had wanted them to meet again. She was running frantically, looking at every side of the mall, asking the wrong people if they had seen the guy, but she still can’t find him. She came at the balcony at the 3rd floor and he saw a guy wearing black fitting shirt, harem pants and supra shoes standing at the corner, drinking coke. Without hesitations, she came towards him and asked him to turn his back.

“Excuse me… ”

Junhyung turned his back and was startled. Nervously, he spilled his coke. He anxiously wiped his shirt with his hands and his lips.

“I…I’m sorry… I’m sorry about what happened there. I didn’t mean to… Please don’t get mad at me…”

She just smiled but Junhyung still can’t stop himself from saying sorry.

“You should stop saying sorry now. I have something to ask you.”  

“Anything.”

“It seems awkward but I think I know you. I remember you. By any chance, are you the guy…uhm, who…tripped?”

He can’t believe that she has remembered him and now she was talking to him. He has heard her soft, angelic voice. He was looking to her bright brown eyes and he’s seeing his future with her. He’s standing like a total idiot daydreaming.

 “Oh. I think I’ve got the wrong guy. Sorry to disturb you mister. And I forgive you for bumping my friend there at the department store.”

She was about to turn away when Junhyung grabbed her hands.

“I’m sorry for being like this but I just can’t believe that you are here sanding right in front of me. You know, I’ve been waiting for you for so long. But I think it’s wrong for me to be crazy about you because I know you have a boyfriend and so I’m sorry that I did that to him.”

The girl was about to laugh at him.

“Boyfriend?”

“Yes. The guy you were with. He’s your boyfriend right?”

The girl covered his mouth and laughed.

“You think he’s my boyfriend? Oh. You’re getting us wrong. He doesn’t want me as his girlfriend because he likes guys…like you.”

“What do you mean by that? He’s…”

“You’re right! He’s a gay.”

Junhyung bit his lips because of embarrassment but he pretended to be cool.

“Oh I see. He’s your gay friend.”

The girl nodded and smiled at him which made him blush. He took the handkerchief from his pocket and wiped his sweated face. She recognized the handkerchief he’s holding and he noticed that she was looking at him.

“Oh no. I am going to give this back to you but…here.”

He shamelessly gives the handkerchief back but she refused to.

“You can take that. Besides, I have plenty of it. You can keep that or you can throw it away. Do whatever to that handkerchief.”

“No. No. I will keep this.”

The girl smiled at him.

“Are you busy? What do you think of having a lunch at the new Japanese restaurant over there? I should repay you for giving me this handkerchief.”

“You’re unbelievably funny. Sure, I’m fine with it.”