One. The Preparation

Birthday Wish

To say Yesung was slaving over the kitchen would be the biggest understatement of the century.  Perhaps even the millennium.  He was practically living on top of the stove with the amount of time he had been spending over it for the past few weeks.  But why wouldn’t he?  His dongsaengs were all cooing knowingly so they obviously knew.

He blushed, terribly, when he remembered the object of his affections.  The reason behind all his sweaty hard work, the reason he’d declined offers for dinner, the reason he was taking time off singing practice, the very man that made his heart beat uncontrollably fast.  Perhaps it was a little crazy.  What kind of sane male would fall completely in love with a completely straight man?

But Yesung wasn’t gay, he was just… Siwon-ual.  He didn’t think of males as particularly attractive and it wasn’t like he reacted to a handsome man as he did a pretty girl.  But something about the Christian boy got his head twirling, heart pounding and face flushing.  Words would suddenly be his worst enemy and his eyes would suddenly find the floor to be particularly endearing.  It was ridiculous.  But that was love.  Completely and utterly ridiculous.  It fooled and blinded the cleverest, and it most certainly worked its spell on an unsuspecting vocalist of Super Junior.

With the meat defrosting, dessert baking in the oven, vegetables washed, soup boiling on the stove, Yesung tried his best not to screw up.  His basic preparations were going perfectly.  Nothing was burnt, nothing was breaking and most importantly, no electrical appliance had exploded.  He just needed to follow Ryeowook and Kyuhyun’s every instruction – he had even written them down!  It was just that important – and all would be well.  They were always just one speed dial away if disaster should occur.  And knowing Yesung’s luck in the kitchen, it should be rather inevitable.

“Hyung’s so cute.” Ryeowook cooed, gushing over how the older boy was curiously scrutinising the recipe book the eternal maknae had lent him, a look of absolute confusion written across his features.  He kind of wished the horse boy would be there to witness the sight.  He’d surely be delighted.

“When did you figure that out, Wookie?  I’m pretty sure Siwon-hyung figured that out on day one.” Kyuhyun snickered, his chin resting in his palm, also taking in the particularly adorable sight of the fourth eldest member.

“You weren’t even there on day one.” Ryeowook reminded nonchalantly, raising a well shaped eyebrow at the real maknae. 

“Yeah but on my day one, Siwon-hyung wouldn’t stop ogling at Sungie-hyung as if he was the cutest thing on this planet.” Kyuhyun chuckled under his breath, distinctly remembering how jealousy had hung in the air so heavily as Yesung had excitedly greeted Kyuhyun, trying to make him feel as comfortable as possible.  And the evil maknae definitely used his Hyung’s boundless innocence to build up this envy, getting closer and closer to the lead baritone as each day passed.  He could never resist a good tease.

“That’s because Hyung is the cutest thing on this planet.” Ryeowook coughed discreetly, smiling as Kyuhyun couldn’t help but agree with a slight nod.  The KRY boys were always infinitely close, the two younger males cooing endlessly over their Hyung’s very obvious crush.  “Think we should help him out now?”

“What would he do without us?” Kyuhyun said as both he and the slightly older male got out of their seats, ready to help guide Yesung for his extravagant plan.  He could only mentally laugh at the elder, mostly because it was so darn cute and partially because the lead baritone acted like a teenager.  He was twenty-seven and yet fretted over little things like a high school girl.  This point was only proven more when an exasperated sigh escaped Yesung’s lips, his baby fingers tousling his styled hair in frustration.  If Yesung messed up his hair, it meant he was at wit’s end.  “Clearly, not very much.” Shaking his head at the elder boy he made his way to him, slinging a casual arm around his waist, “Come on, Hyung, you can do it.  Me and Wookie can help you.”

“What do you mean help!? You’re worse in the kitchen than I am!” Yesung exclaimed, his pride hurt a little.  He didn’t have much self-confidence but he felt thoroughly insulted that the maknae thought he could actually assist anyone when it came to cooking.  He playfully shoved the youngest just for effect.

“I never said I could help with the cooking.  That’s for Ryeowookie.  I can help you with the whole seducing Siwon-hyung thing though.” Kyuhyun smirked as Yesung’s ears went painfully red.  The elder squirmed in his hold but Kyuhyun wasn’t about to end his game now, it had only just begun.  “I’m sure if you wore tiny little skirt he’d be all over you in a second.  You don’t even have to cross dress.  Just wear a pair of those black skinny jeans Heechul-hyung bought you and that grey shirt I got you for your birthday and he’ll pounce on you before dinner can even start.”

“Kyuhyun!” Yesung exclaimed, scolding him lightly with a quick painless swat.  “I’m not trying to seduce him!  I’m just making his birthday present.”

“They do say a way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.” Kyuhyun cooed, watching as the elder’s face went bright crimson.  He could never get enough of teasing his Yesung-hyung.  He always had the best reactions.  And he could never fight back.  His comebacks were weak and stuttered and he never failed to blush deeply.  It was like he was begging to be teased.  “I know if you made medinner I wouldn’t have the self control not to take a bite out of you.”

“Don’t listen to Kyuhyunnie, Hyung.” Ryeowook said calmly, placing a comforting hand on the elder’s shoulder.  The last thing the vocalist needed was a heart attack.  He was already so jittery and the main event was three weeks away.  He couldn’t die of embarrassment just yet.  When he found out what Siwon had installed, then maybe some passing out would be in order.  “We love you, Hyung and we want to help you.  And no matter what happens, just remember we’ll always love you.”

And to top off the sickeningly sweet friendship, both maknaes planted a short brief kiss on the elder’s flushing cheeks.  It was a silent promise that Yesung would never even begin to comprehend.

“Wookie!  I stuffed up… badly.” Yesung whimpered to his phone, tears gathering in his eyes.  Of course, he had gotten too over confident.  It was an hour before Siwon would be over and he’d totally screwed up.  The main dish was burnt.  Well, the meat of the main dish was burnt.  It was practically charcoal.  He didn’t even know what happened.  It had just practically exploded into flames and Yesung officially had less meat than ash.

“Calm down, Hyung.  Don’t panic.  Just breathe.” Ryeowook even went into a few breathing exercises to help him a little.  The fact that Yesung was almost ready to run into a wall from anxiousness was not changing though.  “Look, I’ll be there in fifteen minutes and I promise, promise, it’ll all be fine.  Just salvage everything that you can and try not to kill yourself.  I know that this is important to you so I’m going to make this work for you, okay?”

Yesung sniffled, “It’s ruined though, Wookie!  It’s totally ruined!”

“Please Hyung, I have some last minute things to do but I’ll be there as soon as I can.  It’ll work out and Siwon-hyung will be touched and it’ll be a nice evening for you two together and hopefully you won’t still be a by next week.” Ryeowook listed off, not really paying attention to the fact that he was rambling.  He wasn’t even paying attention to what he was rambling.  He didn’t really care that he’d taken a jab at the elder’s ity but Yesung had to be totally blind to not see what everyone in the whole of Super junior (and like half their fan base) had realised long ago.

There was a severe blush, some incoherent mumblings and denials but Yesung mostly calmed down and nodded, not really realising that Ryeowook couldn’t see him.  There was an awkward pause and some rustling on the eternal maknae’s side as he hurriedly rushed to get everything he needed.

“I suppose your nodding.  Just calm down and don’t bash your head into a wall.  Set the table!  And you better put the cake in the fridge now because I’m pretty sure you forgot that icing melts.” Ryeowook reminded quickly before promptly hanging up.  And what does Yesung see as he turns around, his freshly made cake, covered in glorious icing, starting to melt.  Ryeowook knew all too well, but that was the furthest thing from Yesung’s mind as he quickly shoved the sweet delicacy into the fridge.