the arrival

When You Least Expect It

 

When you finally arrive in front of SM's main building, your heart feels as if it's going to burst right out of your chest so everyone around can see just how nervous you are. You bite your lower lip as your eyes wander over the high but solid center of your attention, but when you notice that people are waiting for you to enter before them, you hurry to push the door open and step inside quickly, although you're afraid your feet might decide to give in and let you trip at some point.

 

Before you can even orientate yourself a woman is heading towards you and the people randomly standing behind you. Her steps are clear and accentuated by her heels as if she wanted to leave no doubt about her being important. She scans over the faces in front of her. 'How can I help you?', she asks. 'I'm here to audition', some girl answers promptly and you almost shrug in surprise. Another girl joins the first one, her ambition already showing off in her voice, and one of the boys takes the lead by asking the woman to tell them where the waiting rooms are to be found. You keep silent for the moment being because after all, you're not here to join them in waiting for your moment to shine. You're here to make someone else win over them, but when they leave, guided by the woman, you still wish them luck under your breath.

 

You, for your share, make your way over to the reception that you spotted just moments ago. While you have to wait for your turn, you glance at who's entering and moving around the building repeatedly. Now that you're just standing here, not really able to move since you know you can't find Baekhyun on your own in this scads of people your age, you know that he could come around to find out about you being here every moment. He told you that he has to skip school because he's sick so you're sure that he'd come here in the morning, and so that's what you did as well. You gulp as someone walks past you, looking like Baekhyun from behind, and your nervous fear of being discovered distracts you so much that you forget to pay attention at the woman behind the front desk.


'Hey! Don't fall asleep, it's a busy morning', she scolds you with that mother-like undertone that lets you know that your expression is enough to make her see clearly how you feel. You blink and then take a step closer to the desk while some of the people standing in line behind you murmur to themselves. 'Sorry', you choke, 'I, uh – I'm looking for someone. I'm here to accompany Byun Baekhyun.' The receptionist nods, then she turns her head towards her computer and checks the lists of people who signed in for the audition for the name you gave her. You don't even notice how your finger tips are fumbling with the hemline of your thin, summer cardigan until the woman behind the front desk says 'Ah!' before she turns to you again. 'His audition is set for 9:15 AM, room 34.' And before you can even take a look at your watch to see how much time you have left, she avers: 'You better hurry.'

 

You bow to her, your knees already shaking from the sudden tension, and then almost run over to the nearest hallway. A sign next to the staircase tells you that room 34 is located on the third floor and you don't even think about using the elevator. Instead you instantly take to your heels, running up the stairs, keeping an eye on your watch in the meantime. It's already about 9:13 PM and all that's left for you to do is breathe in and out as steadily as you can – and hope that he hasn't already started to audition without any accompaniement. The faces bordering the sides of the staircase and the hallway blur out of your sight even though you slow down your steps a little once you reached the third floor. Some of the other contestants are already whispering, but you can't focus on them with your chest heaving and your soles burning like they are right now. You secretly curse the day you found out about Baekhyun's audition.

 

'Someone's already in there!', a boy tries to hold you back from entering room 34 as you walk past him strongly. You rest for a moment and glance down at your watch again. It's 9:15 PM. 'They must have given you the wrong time', he continues, but you shake your head, laughing a little. No, this was the exact right time for you to be here. 'I don't think so', you briefly respond, 'good luck!' And then you leave him with his confused expression, entering the room in one swift movement.