Educational Lethargy

My Coffee Prince

I always get the worst seat in class. It never fails that I get the last seat in whatever row I’m put in. The sad part is that I never get the one closest to the door; so, I have to be on time for every subject because I can’t just sneak in, like that lucky slacker that’s sitting there now. Who never does any work and sleeps during class. The teacher never catches him and never calls on him to do anything. It’s so agitating to think that people who work twice as hard as him don’t ever catch a break. One of these days he’s going to get his just desserts; Mr. I-don’t-have-to-do-anything-because-of-my-seat. I don’t even know what the guy looks like he sleeps so much.

 I turn my attention back to the teacher and just in time too because he stopped and looked right at me. This is one teacher that I don’t want to piss off so sleeping in class is a definite ‘no’. In ten minutes class will end anyway and I’ll get to go home. No club activities, no clean up duties, and no after school job. Then I’ll have my sleep. That’s right, last seat closest to the door. I’ll sleep well tonight.

The bell dismissing class finally rang. This was the ultimate freedom. I grabbed my things and bolted for the door. When I got downstairs to my shoe locker I heard complaints coming from the door. Apparently it was starting to rain. I cursed under my breath and stuck my shoes back in my locker. I didn’t bring my umbrella with me so I was kind of stuck. So much for going home, I swear, this school has it cut out for me. I wonder what could happen next.

 I decided to go back to the classroom and see if I left a spare umbrella in my cubby. When I got there it was as empty as the cafeteria on leftovers day. I walked in the door and ran to the back of the classroom to my seat where I dropped my things. I went to my cubby only to see that the cubby next to mine was full. I looked back to the classroom where I saw Mr. good-for-nothing STILL sleeping. I rolled my eyes. As it turns out I actually did have an umbrella in my cubby. Sweet salvation! I took one more look at the back of sleeping beauty’s head and thought about waking him.

I debated with myself for a while. Should I just let him sleep here and get in trouble or wake him? Would he get mad at me if I woke him? Or would he rather just sit here. Wait a second how did he sleep through all that noise? Is he okay? I better wake him. I walked across the room and kneeled down by his desk. For some strange reason my heart started to pick up speed. While I was debating on whether to wake him he had actually stirred in his deep slumber to expose his face on the side. He didn’t look familiar at all. The only part of his head that I ever got to see was the back of it. He was cute though I’ll give him that. I stared at him for a while. He just kept sleeping. Then my conscious got the best of me and I realized what a stalker I was being. I shook him awake.

“Um, the bell rang a long time ago, dude. You’ve been sleeping a while,” I said once he got the sleep out of his eyes. Which was a beautiful hazel color. I got entranced in his amazingly good looks that I didn't notice that he was speaking. “Excuse me?”

“I said thanks for waking me. You don’t know how many times I’ve almost spent the night here,” he chuckled. And reached for his bag. He then glanced out the window and noticed it was raining. “Shoot, rain,”

“I came back up here to get my umbrella. We can share if you want,” I said immediately. I didn't want his perfectly tossed bed head to get messed up.  That’d just be a shame. He smiled and thanked me.

When we got downstairs to the shoe lockers it turned out that our lockers were next to each other. I wonder why I never noticed him much before. Oh yeah, that’s right. He’s a good for nothing sleeper. I sighed. When I looked at him he was looking at me anxiously. Did I forget to speak again?

“I guess you didn’t hear me? I said that my name is Jinki. What’s yours?” he smiled at me. I saw that one of his canines was a little crooked. Not wicked witch crooked but characteristically crooked, adorably crooked, attractively crooked, um…

 “Ah! My name’s Yongjae,” I said before the silence got too long. He showed me that lovely smile once more and intentionally looked away.

“Youngmi…. That’s a pretty name. May I call you Minnie?” my heart was working in double time now. Of course you can call me Minnie.

“Sure Jinki, but only if I can call you…. Onew, yeah Onew has a nice ring to it,” I swear my tongue almost fell out when I said his name. He giggled.

 “You’re pretty funny, Minnie. Okay deal,” he said taking a step closer. I don’t think such an attractive person has ever complimented me before. Something’s really off about this day.

“Thanks! You ready to go? Where do you live I’ll walk with you there,” I said preparing my umbrella.

“Now what kind of gentleman would I be if I let you do that? We can walk to the nearest convenience store and I’ll buy my own umbrella as well as treat you to a hot steamed bun,”

 “Steamed bun?” he looked at me with surprised eyes.

“You’ve never had a hot steamed bun?!” I shook my head not expecting what was next. He immediately grabbed the umbrella and then grabbed my arm. Dragging me—willingly—to the convenience store.

When we arrived he went straight to the back of the store and ordered the steamed buns. He then eagerly ran back to where I stood with the wet umbrella. He grabbed my hand and went to pick up his own wet weather utensil and on our way to pick up the steamed buns he grabbed two cans of soda. When he had paid for everything I followed him out the door and under the covered walkway to the back of the convenience store where there was a park a few feet away. We sat down and he broke open a bun for me.

“Okay it’s really hot so be careful. The filling is ground beef,” I bit into it right away. It was hot and delicious. It burned all the way down but it felt good. I liked it.

 “Wow! It’s really good!” I said happily smiling. He smiled back and gave me the other half.

We talked and drank our sodas while it rained. I learned a lot about Onew and wanted to know more. I found out that he had a disease called Lethargy and most the time he wasn't really sleeping. By the time we were finished talking the rain had stopped and the sun was setting I didn’t really want to say goodbye because it felt like I wouldn't talk to him again after this, but I had to. At least we had tomorrow in school.

The next day in school was extremely normal. I went to my seat paid attention in class and he sat him his sleeping. When it was time to go I stayed after and woke him like I did the day before.

 “Are you really sleeping or just resting your eyes?” I asked leaning on his desk. I saw a smile escape his lips. I laughed. “I knew it!” I said. He got up and grabbed his bag.

“No you didn’t,” he said jokingly.

We walked to that little store again and ordered steamed buns. This became a stable tradition for the rest of the semester. We would meet up after school and go get some steamed buns and talk until the sunset. It felt like we were becoming really close friends. The more and more we talked the more and more he became a part of my life, and the harder it became not to develop feelings for him. Onew was really the only friend I had at school and I guess I’m making this out to be something it’s not but these talks really do feel like dates, even if they aren’t. A few weeks before the beginning of Christmas break we started to hang out on the weekends, going to the mall and really just hanging out. It felt so good to let loose and genuinely have fun.

I should've known that this great feeling couldn't last for too long...

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

a/n: Like I said in the foreword this is my first Fanfic on AFF so please comment on if you like it and I will post more! Thanks!