#2

When in Rome, do as Romans do...

            You were walking down the halls looking for your room, with tears blurring your vision. That school looked just like a prison if not for the lockers.

            As always, you started analyzing every bit of the school. Every student’s face was imprinted on the back of your mind the second they passed you by. You weren’t good at remembering data but visual memory was one of your best qualities. You reached your room and looked around again: twenty guys on the way to your room and only three girls.

“Are you kidding me?” You said closing your eyes, shaking your head and escaping a laugh. “What kind of sick joke is this?” You asked yourself opening the room’s door. The room wasn’t as bad as you had expected; except for technology, it had pretty much all you could wanted… a bed and a bathroom.

            A set of clean sheets were on the bed and five books, paper, notebooks and pencils. You looked through them and saw your name written on them. The school was in the same building but a few hundred of meters away from your room. The bell rang but you didn’t feel like going so you just did your bed and unpacked your stuff.

            You didn’t get to unpack one of your suitcases when you heard a loud banging on the door. Before you opened it, the door swung open and a scary lady appeared in front of you. You failed to restrain a terrified scream since you had seen dead bodies looking livelier than her.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” She yelled, her voice freaking you out even more.

“Unpacking my stuff?” You said on a questioning tone, pointing to your suitcase.

“Didn’t you hear the bell?!” She yelled again, causing your internal ear to “bleed”.

“I said I was unpacking my stuff.” You said on kind of a harsh tone.

“The bell means that classes are starting.” She yelled getting in your room.

“I’m sorry; I did not give you the permission of invading my private space.” You said walking closer to her. The education your parents have given you also included an attitude and they had always told you to protect what’s yours, mostly if they had paid for it.

“Are you giving me an attitude, young lady?” She asked making a shocked expression.

“No madam, I am defending my rights. Since my parents are paying for this room, it is my property and you need permission to get in.” You said crossing your hands. Little did you know how much your attitude was going to cost you.

“I am glad you know your rights, young lady but THIS KIND OF ATTITUDE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED HERE! We’ll meet today at 3 pm in detention.” She continued waving some kind of a whip around.

“Excuse me? Are you threatening me with that?” You asked outraged by her lack of diplomacy.

“Yes, young lady, I am and I sincerely hope you won’t force me to use it.” She said arrogantly but her face showed that she definitely meant the contrary. You decided to comply since that whip looked kind of painful and left your room. She waited in front of your room until you were at a considerable distance and then went right back in.

            You did not have problems controlling your anger but that place was definitely going to bring you some. You walked along the empty hallway until you reached a classroom. The door had a small window so you peeked in to see if someone was there. The classroom was full so you figured that was where you should have been too.

            You entered, after knocking and a death glare coming from the teacher made your feet freeze.

“CAN’T YOU KNOCK?!” He yelled violently placing the chalk on his desk. Your body twitched at the loud noise and your eyes closed involuntarily.

“I-I…” You stuttered and you could hear giggles and laughing throughout the classroom; thing that didn’t seem to bother the teacher at all. “I did knock, sir.” You said trying to restrain the shaking of your body. You heard a loud snicker and looked towards the source of the sound, to the back of the class to see a tall guy   with - an awesome haircut to be honest and a great smile but… of course, - a horrible personality; how could he laugh at your pain?!

“Get out.” The teacher said grabbing the piece of chalk and almost throwing it at you if not for a loud thud. You both looked at the back of the class to see a brown-haired, skinny guy on the floor.

            Your first instinct was to run up to him and help him stand but the second you moved your feet the teacher yelled again and your fear prevented you from moving so you just walked out giving the boy a sorrowful look.

            A horrible feeling was now residing your chest, making it hard for you to breathe freely. The face of the boy was stuck in the back of your mind, his hurt expression and sad eyes wouldn’t leave your mind and kept appearing every time you closed your eyes.

            You had been raised into a civilized environment your whole life and a place like this was beyond your power of understanding. You had no idea how to handle a situation like this; you were being shoved from a place to another, powerless, just because you had some common sense.

            You walked back to your room, taking your time, hoping that the Corpse bride would be gone by the time you got back because you didn’t feel like you could take another confrontation.

            She was gone by the time you got back but all your clothes were on the floor. A routine check, you figured. You started folding your clothes and carefully placing them into the closet. You wanted to miss home but if you said you did, it would have been a lie. The only thing you missed was the calm and security your home provided but you were a big girl. Being thrown in the real world all of a sudden was harsh but you had no other way but to adapt and survive. You finished unpacking and organizing your room at around 2pm and decided to take a shower before detention since classes were already over.