Valentine's Day

Rose

 

           It was Valentine’s Day and everyone is dating and going out as a couple on the said day. As for you, you are just staying at home doing chores. You don’t have someone to go out with, even your friends because they are also with others. You just let out a sigh as you sit on the bench in the front garden of your house. You let out a sigh as you look at the road and the houses in front of you.

          “It’s Valentine’s Day, sheesh its so boring. I envy my friends they have dates... Aish! I would date myself if I have to.” You said to yourself.

            And then there was this neighbour of yours. A young lad named Zhang Yixing, but he would rather be called Lay. He is a mysterious guy and he grows a garden of roses at the back of his house. He looked at you.

           “Why is she sad? Its Valentine’s Day, should she be happy? Or is she lonely because no one is with her?” He thought. Ever since he saw you in the neighbourhood, he cared about you. Somehow he liked you so he always checks on you if you were ok or not. You and Lay are close friends. You get along well as neighbours. So he entered his house and ate the cake that was on the table. You made the cake and gave it to your close neighbours, which includes him.

            “Delicious.” He said. He is still worried about you. He looked at you again as you water the plants in the garden.

            He thought of an idea.

            “What if I give her roses?” He thought. So he cut a stem of rose from the garden and got some ribbon from the house and tied it on the rose. Then he asked the dog whom his friend asked to take care of to give it to you.

            “Monggoo-ya!” Lay called the dog. “Give this to the girl next door ok?” He said as he put the flower on his mouth and made him run outside.

             As you walk yourself to go inside the house, the dog approached you with a rose. It had a short note that has your name and a greeting for the day.

           “For me?” You said in shock. You took the rose from the dog’s mouth and smelled it.

           “It smelled so good.” You blurted out from your mouth. Then you played with the dog’s fur. “I wonder who gave this to me.” You carried the dog as well and brought it inside. You fed it some of the dog treats that your dog haven’t eaten yet until he got lost.

           “You remind me of my dog, now I miss him.” You said as you remember your lost dog. And then you realized that his owner must also be looking for him so you let the dog out and it ran quickly to where Lay lives, but you didn’t notice that it ran to his house. You just went up and put the rose in a vase and on the table near your window. You were so happy.

~*~

            Lay approached the dog from the door. When he found out that she received it, he was happy. He smiled. He was successful in what he did.

           “Success!” He said as he pets the dog. He felt some crumbs on his fur too.

           “Dog biscuits. She must’ve missed her dog.” He thought. He then went upstairs and went to his room. As he was reading a book. You called him from the window.

            “Lay!” You called. He looked at you.

            “Hey ______! Happy Valentines!” He greeted you cheerfully.

            “So, how are you? Any date?” You asked.

            “Nah, I’m just reading books. What about you?” He said as he shows the book he is reading.

            “I don’t think I need a date anymore for today.” You answered with a laugh.

            “Why? You sounded so gloomy a while ago, was it because of no date?”

            “Well I was a while ago, but I don’t think I need one!”

            “Why the change of mind?” Lay was still weirded out by your change of mood.

            “Because someone made my day! He gave me a rose!” You said as you showed the rose, still with the note and the ribbon he tied on it.

            “Wow! Who gave it to you?” He asked, pretending it didn’t come from him.

            “I don’t know! Some dog just walked into my house and gave me this. It has my name in it. I am so happy!” You squealed in happiness. Lay was happy for you. He didn’t know that the rose he gave will make your day.

           “Well that’s good for you! The guy who gave it must’ve loved you.”

           “Oh come on Lay. Me? I don’t think a person like me would be loved that way.”

           “Well, I don’t think so. You also deserve some love. Someone will come by soon”

           “I hope he will come.” You look up at the sky as your friend smiles at you.

           “He will.” He replied. The two of you talked a bit before parting ways. You smelled at the rose and did your homework. You can’t help but look at it. It was a meaningful Valentine’s Day for you.

~*~

           Night came and you looked at the window to see if Lay is around. He isn’t. So you looked everywhere, even his yard that’s filled with many roses.

          “Such lovely roses he grew.” You thought. It reminded you of the rose you received. You looked at it again and smelled it. You wondered if the garden smells as good as the rose that lets out a fragrant smell at the window area of the room. You got fascinated by the beauty of the garden as you look at it and you thought that that friend of yours is sure a mysterious one. He is good at gardening.

          And then you wondered. What if its from him?

         You kind of joked yourself. Why would your friend even give you that? Could it be that he likes you? Those thoughts lingered your mind until you fell asleep.