The Rule

Class Rule No. 3
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Her digital wristwatch beeped, alerting her to move faster against the stream of students pouring out of the Social Sciences building. It was just her second day in the university and the distances between her classes were torture. She had to figure out a way to make her schedule work else she wouldn’t survive her Tuesdays and Thursdays.

 

The lecture room was already buzzing with students when she arrived. Her classmates were chatting amongst themselves while others where focused on their gadgets to even notice her. A huge wave of relief washed over her seeing that their professor is not in the room. She didn’t want the attention given to late students. 

 

She quickly made her way up the last row and occupied the aisle seat. That spot allowed her to have some peace and quiet and a clear view of the front from the back. No one would sit beside her and interrupt her during the lecture while she observed her professor and classmates.

 

The bell sounded and soon after, a middle-aged guy with receding hairline strode towards the front carrying a heavy black bag. He looked sharp in his crisp blue-checkered polo and pants, paired with black shoes. His expression is closely guarded and she could tell that this is one strict professor.

 

“Good afternoon.”

 

Her heart raced to hear such a deep voice, the tone strict and very formal. He didn’t wait for them to respond and turned towards the whiteboard. She could see how calculated his actions were. The way he held himself just screamed elitist.

 

She read the elegant on the board and cringed: William Jensen, PhD. He was the one the other students were talking about - the terror teacher in the social sciences department who was famous for his rules and unreasonable requirements. World History would surely be tough, considering that this wasn’t in her curriculum. She enrolled for the course because she had to complete 12 units of Social Science subjects.

 

After the intimidating introduction, Dr. Jensen laid out all his class rules in addition to the university rules. He was in middle of his announcement when a male student came in late.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter