DongMir: Part 1

Strong Heart: The Untold Stories

 

“A full ride, of course,” Sungmin grinned, raising his hand up in a high-five.

Mir slapped his friend’s palm, smiling softly at the praise. “Dongwoon got accepted too,” he stated, knowing that that wasn’t incredibly important. Or well, it wasn’t supposed to be that important. Mir should’ve been wholly focused on his own aspirations rather than whether or not he would be able to attend the same college as his lover.

But, he sighed, taking a sip of his juice, there was no way he could imagine going off to a place without Dongwoon. It may have been a childish affair, but then again, how could any of them qualify as children? With the things they had seen before the age of twelve, weren’t they all perfectly capable of being considered adults?

“Ah, that’s why you’re so happy,” the black haired beauty chuckled, twirling his straw and smiling wider, “Man...,” he shook his head, eyes filling with sad warmth, “I can’t believe we’re graduating tomorrow afternoon. It doesn’t feel like we’ve been here long enough, huh?”

“Maybe we haven’t,” Mir murmured, “…maybe it’s too early.” He wanted to say that his words were ridiculous, but bit his tongue. Ryeowook was already out there living his dream – hell, he even ditched Kyuhyun for that dream. Yet, here Mir was, moping around with Sungmin and secretly jumping for joy whenever he thought about Dongwoon continuing in the same school as him.

Was he being stupid? Should he follow Ryeowook’s example? They had all been receiving emails of performances and status updates from their favorite early-graduate StudGov President. In the half year that Ryeowook had been away, all of them had seen his progress in composing, singing, playing and just the overall glow about his form. What did it take to become that grandiose?

Did Mir really have to give up everything he loved? Yes, he would admit it. He loved Dongwoon. Had he told him yet? No. How was someone supposed to suddenly drop that sort of bomb? They had been officially dating for maybe two seasons.

How could anyone know they were in love with their significant other after only six or so months? Mir surely didn’t think it was possible, but then he would remember that he had silently said he loved Dongwoon at least a hundred times over at that point.

“How are you and Taemin doing?” Sungmin prompted suddenly.

Mir’s head shot up, eyes focusing. “Taemin? Oh, we’re fine,” he said. In all honesty, they had been doing well. Actually, for ex-lovers, they were being very cool about everything. Taemin also wasn’t around much so that probably had something to do with the lack of awkward tension. Furthermore, if Mir wasn’t going crazy, he was rather sure that there was something different about Taemin those days.

He seemed…happier?

No, calmer?

Well, he was something and that something was a good thing as far as Mir could tell.

“It’s getting pretty late,” the darker haired third year yawned, looking outside the window one last time before standing up and stretching, “We should head back to the dorms.”

Mir shook his head, standing up as well, “I think I’m gonna walk around for a little while. Really…I guess I’m gonna miss this,” he mumbled, feeling oddly uncomfortable with the thought of leaving this safe haven.

“Hmm, well don’t stay out too late. You’re giving a speech tomorrow right?” Sungmin chuckled, patting his friend’s shoulder.

A speech? Mir? He gulped, not even wanting to think about it. That was the one thing he hadn’t thought about while studying his little off during school. The valedictorian was required to give a graduation speech right after the StudGov President.

“See you later,” Mir called as he parted ways with Sungmin, not turning back.

The familiar campus was dark except for the lights surrounding the main square. Mir laughed to himself, hands tucked safely inside his pockets as he watched long since past snow’s fall. Turning in the dancing flakes, he saw the warmly lit crossroads and then a short, first year boy shuffling along gloomily.

His brown head of hair was lowered, a dark gleam in his eyes. A handsome third year called out to him and the boy looked up suddenly, face brightening in recognition. It was quickly hidden behind a mask of apprehension as a 17-year-old Lee Joon hugged him and led him around the main square as they spoke.

Mir followed them slowly, spinning in a careful circle as he mouthed every uttered word. There were parts he couldn’t remember anymore, but what he could remember was that tight hug and those soft laughs. Then his hyung was leaving him, returning to the dorms to keep partying with Teukie-hyung, and Kangin, and Yesung and surely so many more.

Continuing, he strode passed the square, stopping abruptly and taking a back alley towards the perimeter of the campus. Mir smiled widely, playing tag with old shadows and familiar whispers. He started jogging, turning sharp corner after sharp corner, seeing Taemin and Minho when they were still mischievous first years leading Ryeowook, Sungmin and Mir off campus for the first time.

Breathlessly, he burst out into the open, lit air again, tilting his head up to the sky and laughing like he hadn’t ever laughed during high school. Looking back on it, he couldn’t believe how much fun he had had. There were so many bittersweet memories, but as he reconsidered them, Mir realized, perhaps, they weren’t as bitter as they were sweet.

In the distance, he heard the bell tower chime and his heart started racing. Mir shifted on his feet, squinting towards the looming building far off. Although unmentionable things happened there, he couldn’t help but see what good there was. If it weren’t for that day, would he have ever been convinced of Dongwoon’s feelings? It was horrible, no doubt, but from that ugly event came something beautiful and perfect and…real.

Mir found himself in front of a familiar black door and could only smile as he pushed it open, taking the narrow hall that led into the heart of the Tech Shop. Looking around, he memorized every tear in the couch, every dirty appliance and then the random, quirky notes pinned to the large black doors separating the Shop from the stage. Walking through the opening, he came out to the large, dimly lit floor, head tilting softly as tenderness softened the dark color of his eyes.

It had been raining. He caught a fever and the next thing he knew he was waking up in a blanket, wrapped in Dongwoon’s strong arms. There was no one around as they came out onto the stage, his entire body supported by the handsome boy. Mir was too tired back then to fight and when they kissed there, the spotlight glowing so effectually, he had given in to the tears, confusion and denial overrunning him.

Closing his eyes, Mir turned away, opening the stage door to head down to the audience area. Whenever he remembered that night, he wondered if that marked when he fell for Dongwoon. On a good day, he would say most definitely. On a less than perfect day, he would say the world could go screw themselves because he didn’t give a damn.

Down the hall, up a staircase, and then to the left…that was where Mir’s favorite room in the entire building was. He twisted the knob, pushing in to find the Sound Booth as he had left it. There was a headset resting on the sound board and a clipboard placed on the lights control.

Mir slowly walked over to it, flicked off the main stage lights and easily playing with the controls until a heart was shining down on the floor and the words spelled out before him spoke of last Valentine’s Day.

He exhaled shakily, dropping his head as he leaned against the table. “I can’t do this…”

“I knew you’d be here.” A wry smile worked its way onto Mir’s lips as he felt arms wrap around his waist from behind. Dongwoon’s kiss was faint and warm against his jaw, a low chuckle slipping from his mouth.

“I don’t know what I’m doing,” Mir murmured, “I…don’t want to leave high school.”

“When did this come about?” his lover asked curiously, sliding his arms around so Mir was forced to turn and face him. Dongwoon pulled their bodies closer in the now accessible embrace. Leaning down, he rested his head against Mir’s waiting patiently.

The latter flushed, tilting and squirming, “There are a lot of things I’ll miss,” he admitted, “and I’m just starting to realize that now.”

“Well, why don’t you think about some good things?” Dongwoon stated, grinning cheekily. “Think of things to look forward to. For one, we’ll be living in an apartment together. Two, we’re going to the same school and we’re both majoring in theatre production and set design. Three, we’re in love. Four—”

“—W-We’re what?” Mir blurted, eyes widening in a mixture of emotions.

Dongwoon shut his mouth, horror rippling across his features at the slip up. Scrambling for something to cover that slip up with, he opened his clamped lips only to have Mir slam over it with the palm of his hand.

“N-No, it’s not a bad thing,” he assured, blushing bright red in the semi-lit room, “I…I-I really feel the same way so…don’t take it back.” Mir cleared his throat, suddenly trying very hard to get out of Dongwoon’s embrace.

The latter wouldn’t have any of that though. He was beaming like there was no tomorrow and his large eyes were gleaming with approval. “Does that mean I can say it freely? I can tell you how much I love you?” Dongwoon asked intensely, laughing in pure adrenaline.

“I-I love you a lot too,” Mir whispered, not wanting to make the announcement any bigger. His head was already getting light from the trip down memory lane – literally and figuratively.

“You really love me? Not high school love me?” he pressed.

Shaking his head, Mir said it again, this time draping his arms around Dongwoon’s shoulders, pulling him into a tentative kiss. The taller male didn’t take a moment to catch himself, melding into the moment with perfect ease. After all, moments like those never lasted. That was why you have to cherish them as they came.

Mir, surely, wouldn’t let another one slip by without him noticing ever again. If high school taught him anything, it was that. Don’t see it from a long distance perspective. Just let things happen, enjoy it, and then wait a few years.

After that, you’ll definitely laugh or smile or sigh affectionately.