The Table

Parallel Hearts

Chapter 1 – The Table

 

“Shoot. I’m late..” A boy on his eighteen said, while taking the bread out from the toaster. “See you later Jack.” He said to his dog as he made his way to the door. “Oh my breakfast.” He turned around to take the freshly toasted bread that he left on the table.

 

“Late again huh?” One of the neighbors said as he made his way to school, running at a really fast speed.

 

“See you later auntie! Don’t forget to cook delicious food okay!” He yelled to reply his neighbor. He’s a well known kid in that area, he’s outgoing, and always slacking around.

 

He kept on running without even decreasing his speed, greeting every single person he passed by. The only thing which made him decrease his speed was a big house, as big as a mansion not far from his college. “One day, I’ll live in a house like that for sure.” That’s what he had always said when he passed that house.

 

“The gate!!” He cursed himself for being too distracted because of the house. The security guard was closing the gate. “Wait wait wait!!” He yelled from afar, running until his heart content.

 

“I’ll tell your mom for sure..” The security guard said to the boy.

 

“Go then.. She’s not even in Korea.. Off to visit my gramps..” He walked in casually. “Oh.. And thanks for keeping the gate opened for me.” He gave him a wide smile then he finally went in the building.

 

He walked in casually like he always did. Like he’s not late, or maybe because he’s late so he’s thinking it’d be better to slack off then he could attend the next class without any problem, but just when he passed his classroom. The teacher inside spotted him.

 

“What are you doing there? Don’t you think you can get off because you’re late!” The teacher scolded him after she opened the door for him.

 

“I’m having a hard time nowadays miss.. Now I live alone, so I have to make my own breakfast, iron my own uniforms, feed my dog, wash the dishes, clothes, taking out the trashes by myself and else. And moreover the school assignments these days are not joking.” He blabbed.

 

“This would be the last time you got away Hyunjoong-ssi.. Next time.. There won’t be a mercy.” She said, with her face which had wrinkles here and there, her hair tied up in a bun, and her old style spectacles covering her scary eyes. “Now go to your seat.” She finished her sentence.

 

Then the boy named Hyunjoong made his way to his seat beside a silent-looking boy, he kept covering his mouth while Hyunjoong got scolded.

 

“Yah yah yah.. What’s so funny? You’re having fun here when I got scolded?” Hyunjoong said to his friend beside him which was chuckling even more.

 

“I just wondered how did you get away with all those new lies you made every time you’re late.” The guy beside him said, showing his dimples that any girl would melt for.

 

“It’s not me if I couldn’t get away. And I didn't lie.. Just now.” Hyunjoong said, smirking.

 

“Alright alright.. Praise the almighty Hyunjoong..” His friend said and chuckled, but stopped right away after he heard the sound of clearing-throat that came from the teacher.

 

“What are you doing Youngsaeng-ssi? You’re supposed to focused on the board, not on your friend.” She scolded him.

 

“But I was only asking about that one which I don’t understand. Did I do wrong?” He said. Then the teacher just heaved a sigh and let him go. Just like Hyunjoong, he’s good at lying.

 

“Oh come on.. What’s up with that green old lady?” Hyunjoong exclaimed with a low voice. “She always wears green. Don’t you realize?” He continued.

 

“I don’t know. Maybe it’s her menstrual period.” Youngsaeng said, which made a deep laugh came from Hyunjoong. “Oh wait.. She’s on her menopause days now..” Just then, Hyunjoong laughed even louder, it’s still loud even he had already covered his mouth.

 

“You two!! OUT!!”

 

-----

 

“I wonder when will she turn into a HULK..” Hyunjoong said when they were in the cafeteria.

 

“When she’s angry of course..” Youngsaeng said and took a bite of his club sandwich which just came out from the microwave.

 

“Anyways. Is he a new guy? Never saw him before.” Hyunjoong said, referring to a guy who was sitting at the corner of the room and surrounded by girls. His face really caught everyone’s attention. A sweet-looking boy, wearing a stylish glasses which made him looked even better. His hair was dyed with dark-brown, his bangs were longer on one side, covering a little bit of his right eye. He looked like a boy from a rich fella.

 

He’s replying everyone with a sweet smile. Everything he did is just full of sweetness. But then he realized that the two naughty outgoing boys were looking at him, he looked away for a moment, preventing their eyes to meet.

 

“Did I just do something wrong?” Hyunjoong asked absent-mindedly to Youngsaeng which had no clues either.

 

“Maybe he’s just shy.. Should we say hi?” Youngsaeng replied.

 

“Shall we?” Hyunjoong said, but just when he just got up from his seat, the bell rang. “Or maybe next time.” He said to Youngsaeng which only gave him a smile and off to their next class.

 

The new boy walked on the same direction as they did. “Damn.. I dropped the book..” Youngsaeng mumbled, and he realized a big hole on his bag.

 

“I told you to change your bag didn’t I? I didn’t find anything sacred from that bag.” Hyunjoong exclaimed.

 

“Shut up..” Youngsaeng said to Hyunjoong which earned a smirk. Then new boy came onto him, holding a book which must be Youngsaeng’s. “Oh.. Thanks..” he mumbled again.

 

“Oh, you’re the new guy right?” Hyunjoong asked him, offering his hand.

 

“Hyunjoong-ssi.. I believe..” The new boy said with a sweet smile and took Hyunjoong’s hand.

 

“Uh yeah.. How.. Did you know? It’s creepy.. you know..” Hyunjoong said.

 

“Oh you two are popular.. Don’t you know?” He replied. “So.. Youngsaeng-ssi? Right?” He turned to Youngsaeng which was still busy settling his book and his bag.

 

“Oh.. yeah.. You’re on the same class? With us?” Youngsaeng asked him, and got a nod from him. “Uh.. you haven’t introduce yourself..”

 

“Sorry, I’m Kyujong.. Kim Kyu Jong..”

 

“It’s okay, it’s not something to be sorry about.. Should we get going?” Hyunjoong said, because the class has just started.

 

“You’re late again Hyunjoong-ssi..” The teacher scolded him right after Hyunjoong stepped his feet on the room’s floor. “Now go to your seat before I changed my mind.”

 

“Why is it always me? ‘Hyunjoong-ssi, you’re late again. Hyunjoong-ssi your answer is wrong. Hyunjoong-ssi, you don’t want me to chase you out from this room right?’ He kept saying Hyunjoong-ssi this and that!” He protested to himself. Mimicking the teacher like when the teacher scolded him.

 

“May.. I sit here? Everywhere else is full.” Kyujong asked them, pointing to the only empty chair left in that room.

 

“Yeah.. Go on..” Youngsaeng replied him.

 

“I’m getting a hypertension soon..” Hyunjoong said, he almost slammed the table. But in the end, he only placed his palm there. “I always hate history..”

 

“According to the ancient Egypt, king Tut was one of the greatest kings that ruled Egypt.” The teacher started the lesson with a small introduction to Ancient Egypt Culture.

 

“Do you smell something’s burning?” Kyujong asked out of the blue.

 

“Now that you mentioned it..” Youngsaeng said, sniffing the air around him. “Something is sure burn—“ His eyes widened when he saw a little smoke came from the space between Hyunjoong’s palm and the table. “Oh shoot. Get off your hand from there.”

 

“What the hell? You’re giving me a heart attack..” Hyunjoong yelled in a very low voice to Youngsaeng.

 

“And you almost gave us heart attack too.” Kyujong said, referring to something. Actually, his finger was pointing at something. Hyunjoong’s eyes followed the direction where his finger was pointing at. And it led him to a small burn on the table which he placed his palm before. The burn formed a shape, that looked totally like Hyunjoong’s hand.

 

“You gotta be kidding me.. What the..?” Youngsaeng asked him.