I Meet Him Under The Rain...

My Knight in Shining UMBRELLA!
“Umma! The breakfast was delicious!” I praise my mother.

“I know right! You can’t live well if I’m not by your side.” She pinches my arms. “You are so dependent when it comes to cooking!”

“Umma! I’m not child anymore!” I said with my mouth full.

“Aigoo… my baby…” she leans forward to me and grin. “Don’t talk when your mouth is full!”

I get a glass of water and drink with all my breath, pushing the food in my mouth.

“Umma, I will go to work now!” I gave my Umma a kiss in the cheek. “Goodbye!”

“Take care…” my Umma said as a response.

I was out of our house and when I look at the skies, it was dark again but this time I really intended to leave my umbrella at home. I don’t know why, maybe because of the desperation to meet that man again.

Someone shouts my name. It is Umma. She is running towards me with an umbrella on her right hand.

“Are you planning to commit suicide? Ha??” she said it a little louder than the normal voice.

“Umma, with this beautiful face and proper mind?? Why would I attempt to commit suicide??” I answer her calmly to avoid more discussion. “And when did you hear that someone died because of just a simple rain?”

My mother just rolled her eyes as a response.

“The sun is shining brightly up in the sky and Mom, that umbrella is so big…” trying to reason out “My poise will be ruined if people see me holding that big umbrella.”

“Poise… poise...” my mother hold her waist “If you got sick because of being always under the rain? Will that poise of yours provide your medicine? Huh??”

“I will be late for office Umma.” trying to change the topic. “Goodbye!”

“HeeKyung-ah!” my mother called.

But I didn’t listen to her. I waited for the bus and went to my office.

The thought of that man keeps haunting me even in the office. I don’t know why I can’t get him off my mind.

“Why does this friend of mine looks busy even if there’s really nothing to do?” my officemate and friend at the same time, Soohyun, push me a little to get me back of my mind.

I told her all the happenings last night. About my prayer for help and that man being the one to help me under the rain.

Soohyun, who listen, seems to be giggling all the time since I speak of that part where the man appears.

“Wow! Your night looks so romantic! It looks like a love story entitled My Knight In Shining Armor… oh.. I mean My Knight in Shining Umbrella and your introduction is… I met him under the rain…” she said half-teasingly.

“Whatever! Eh… I even failed to ask his name.” I said, feeling sorry for myself. “I seem to have a little chance to meet him again.”

“Hmmm… I’m sure he will come back and meet you again. This time, he will not bring only umbrella but also a raincoat.” She laughs—but for me it sounds irritable.

I didn’t mind her. I just continue my dreams.

“I wish it will rain later. The one that is so hard.” I whisper to myself.

When our work is over, I started to fix my things when I hear some sounds from the roof.
I was right! I was right! It really rained!

I jumped a little because of the happiness. I quickly finished fixing my things. For now, all I want is to get out of the office and wait under the rain--AGAIN.

I ran to the tree where I met that mysterious man and there I stand and wait for him.

3 minutes…

No man appeared…

8 minutes…

Still hoping for him…

13 minutes…

A taxi passed by and stopped right in front of me…

“I think I can’t see him anymore.” I sighed.

The backdoor of the taxi opened and there he is… yes, the umbrella-man… he gestured, telling me to get in and sit down beside him.
Of course, without any second thought, I hurriedly get in and close the door. I was glad that I meet him again.

“Ma’am, where to?” the taxi driver asked.

“Uhmm… to 521 Apgujeong, 2dong, Kangnam-gu.” I answered feeling uncomfortable with the umbrella-man beside me.
I don’t know what to say or what to do.

“Uhmm… how about you?” I asked him, pulling all my courage to speak.

“I will just deliver you first!” he answered gently and manly.

That is why I was so hypnotized by him… He was so gentle and kind, handsome too.

So that was it?? I collected all my courage just to speak even just a word to him and that is what all the answers?? Ugh… why he is so silent?? Seems like every word is important to him. Oh… whatever… He said nothing until we reach our house.

“Uh… how much? Oh… I mean, how will I pay?” I asked, completely stuttered.

“My treat!” he smiled. Oh my! Even it is a cold evening, his smile nearly melt me down into liquid. “Okay! Take care!” he waved goodbye.

I just watch the taxi until it disappeared from my sight… and also the chance of seeing him again, for the second time, seems to be disappearing completely.