The Date

Ring and Misunderstanding

Dear Diary,

 

            I was into my first date with Kim Bum feeling cautiously optimistic. I’ve been so focused on work lately, I haven’t been thinking about dating – yes, work is my excuse for everything. Kim Bum and I had emailed a bit, completed one solid phone call, and finally committed to a date. Since he’s new to the city, I took the veins in planning everything.

 

            PARK!

 

            I normally don’t go to the park, but I figured it was a must-see for everyone new to the city, and t would give Kim Bum and me a low-key way to get to know each other. Unfortunately, I forgot that I am not a low-key person. So we met at the par and started walking. And walking. It was (relatively) quiet, birds were chirping, people were playing Frisbee, we had nowhere to be and…. He took the date in a new direction.

 

            He said, “I have an idea,” with this mischievous expression. So I plastered this weird nervous smile on my face and said, “Okayyyy,” hoping his idea wouldn’t reveal some terrible side of his personality that has heretofore been hidden under his relaxed, cute, normal exterior. I always tell myself I need to loosen up and be open to new experiences so I figured this was my chance. “So what’s the plan?” I asked him.

 

            Hire a horse and a carriage! Eh?

 

            I was thinking. “NO. I can’t do it. I’m from here! We don’t do the touristy stuff.” But he took my hand and said, “Come on. Why not?” So, I ended up in a carriage, with bells jingling and hooves clopping. Kim Bum told me that in the 40’s his grandfather spent a weekend in here, and still talks about riding the carriage around this place. “I can’t wait to tell him I did this,” he said. I sat back and looked around, and I realized that I don’t want to be a Jaded City girl. It’s much more fun to get excited about the city…. and about dating, for that matter.