How It All Started

Summer, Autumn, Winter, and Spring

He smiled for the nth times to the guest. He wasn’t faking it. He was happy. He married his high school friend, a smart and friendly one, one of the few ones that can understand him and his dreams. And judging by how gorgeous she was when she was walking down the aisle, he knew he had gotten himself a pretty decent wife—an outstanding one actually. And if he was going to admit it, she had always been a gorgeous girl, not the usual pretty girl type, but she always had that personal charm on her. A charm he was once enchanted by.

But he sealed it the moment he felt it. He had never wanted her more than a friend, nothing more. He always thought that she would just be an old friend of his, the one he would happily introduced to his future wife as a normal friend, and gladly ask her and her future husband to have a dinner together, while reminiscing and laughing at the old memories and share their thoughts like they had before. Yet, fate seemed to speak different for him. Seven years after they graduated from high school, he married her.

He always liked to . Her obliviousness and patience never failed to amazed him. No one could stand on his teasing or snarky comments. But somehow, she could. Sometimes, she would answer his teasings with another teasings, but Hyukjae was usually the one who made her speechless at the end. She would smile and just laughed it off then proceeded to other topics, which made him almost always paid attention on what she said and thought, unlike other conversations he involved with.

They attend the same college. Few months after, he got himself a girlfriend—a very girly, childish, fashionista, and immature girl. But she’s nice and sweet. His friends can’t just lay a finger how the hell he could hook up with his current girlfriend when he had a best friend that suited his type—ShinAe. He always told them that he and ShinAe had been that way since high school, they’re best friends. He also remembered how their college friends tell him that he looked compatible with her. After all, she was always immune to his antics—when most people just can’t stand it—and they seemed to always talked comfortably. And he seemed to depend little things on her. He usually just shrugged it off, again and again telling them that they’re just best friends since high school days.

Then he noticed how she became further and further away from him. Series of replies on SMSes was then became just one short messages. They even barely chatted with each other, just a slight nod or smile when they met, not that he used to greet her enthusiasthicly before, but he usually threw snarky comments whenever she was near him to make her acknowledge him. Then the usual snarky comments which will became funny talks never seemed to occur anymore.

He must admit he missed their conversation, though. He missed listening her voicing her thoughts. But he never tried to do much talking with her since he caughed his girlfriend’s change of mood whenever he teased ShinAe in front of her. As insensitive as he looked to other people, he understood and unconsciously drew a line between him and his so-called friend, ShinAe, so that his girlfriend wouldn’t feel left out.

He loved her girlfriend. In fact, he was captivated by her. Their relationship was good to the point where he drowned himself in his college and dreams. He was not her first boyfriend, but she was his first. Madly in love, not knowing the signs of boredness came from her, they broke up after two years. Then she got her a new boyfriend just two weeks after that, not even bother to conceal the fact that she was interested in other man when she was still in a relationship with him.

It hurt him but he never showed it. He drowned himself more on his dreams. And he did achieve his dreams. Being an heir to a large company, and able to prove that he himself could achieve one of the high position in his father’s company,he couldn’t feel any better than that... That was until his parents decided that he still couldn’t be the only heir because of his lack of interaction and management skills, and urge him to marry a smart and decent woman who could help him run his family business. He tried to oppose his parents’ idea too many times then it came to the point where he just couldn’t see his mother hurt again by his words. He also acknowledged that he always get his way too many times without caring for his parents’ saying.

“For just this once, Hyukjae, be a good son and listen to us.” His father pleaded.

“We didn’t even force you to marry some random girl, we just want you to marry a girl who is decent enough inheriting our company with you. You have your own choice here. We just forbid you to take your role as the heir of the company before you find and marry her.” his mother added.

The problem is, Hyukjae’s current girlfriend never wanted to work in the company with him. He asked her about it—without mentioning that it was her prerequisite for being his wife—and she just rejected it. She said that she don’t like to be overworked and that being a wife of a such rich guy, why does she had to work? They broke up the day after. He never liked a lazy that would just whine about her monthly money, shopping, and jewelries when she wasn’t even working a tiny bit.

So he was out of options. And no, he would never want a stranger to just walk on his life to be his wife, to be his parents’ daughter in law. Heck, after the incident he didn’t even want his ex-girlfriend to be his parents’ daughter in law.

Maybe someone whom he knows very well and decent to his parents’ criteria is enough?

And he couldn't think of anybody else than his old friend that suited that criteria, no other than Choi ShinAe.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

First chapter from my first fic!!! Hope this is not crappy or confusing or too-much-gramatical-error! >.<