Chain Reaction

Pair of Aces

Pairing: Doojoon/Hyunseung

 

chain reaction

noun
 
1. a series of events in which each event is the result of the one preceding and the cause of the one following.
 
--
 

Hyunseung woke up to the sounds of birds chirping and wind blowing outside. He yawned and rubbed his eyes before sitting up. He swung his feet over the edge of the bed and pushed himself up. He was halfway off the mattress when a hand grasped his wrist and yanked him back down. The man wrapped his arms and legs around Hyunseung, and nuzzled his face against the side of Hyunseung's neck.

"Mmm...stay in bed, baby." Hyunseung giggled as the man kissed a sensitive spot on his neck. 

"I would, Doojoon-ah, but I want to make breakfast for us," he said, patting Doojoon's head. 

"Why would you need to make breakfast when I have mine right here," he whispered in Hyunseung's ear, making the latter shiver. Hyunseung let out a small yelp when Doojoon suddenly rolled on top of him, his knees on either side of Hyunseung's hips and his hands running up the younger man's chest.

"Doo~! It's too early. I'm hungry for some pancakes," he whined, pouting. Doojoon chuckled and kissed his lips. 

"Fine, but I get to have my way with you tonight." Hyunseung rolled his eyes as Doojoon got off him and plopped down on the bed on his stomach.

"Yeah, yeah. You always say that, but you end up falling asleep before we can even do anything," he teased, earning a glare from Doojoon. Hyunseung grinned and kissed Doojoon's bare shoulder. "Just kidding."

"Just for that, I'm taking you on our kitchen counter, our dining table, our couch, our floor and our bed, so you better get your ready. There will be no breaks."

--

"I can't wait for our date tonight, Doo. We haven't had one in a while" Hyunseung exclaimed. They were in the dining room, eating breakfast, Hyunseung curled up on Doojoon's lap.

"Me too, Seungie." He smiled and fed Hyunseung another piece of bacon.

"I'm so glad my new boss allowed me to start tomorrow. I was supposed to start tonight, but I told him that we've been planning this for weeks."

"Where is this new job of yours anyway?" Doojoon asked.

"Just at a restaurant down the street," Hyunseung replied, holding out a piece of pancake in front of Doojoon's mouth. He happily opened his mouth and ate it.

"That's good. Now it won't take you an hour to get to work." Hyunseung hummed in reply. He was about to say something when Doojoon's cell phone rang. Hyunseung got off his lap to allow the older man to answer it. When Doojoon checked the screen, he turned to Hyunseung and said, "It's work. Finish the rest of the pancakes and I'll take this in the bedroom."

Hyunseung nodded and returned to his plate. He could hear Doojoon's muffled, "Hello? Yeah. Yeah, I'm at home," and then he was silent. Suddenly, a loud, "What?!" had Hyunseung snapping his head towards the bedroom door. Intrigued by Doojoon's sudden outburst, he tiptoed to their room and leaned his head on the door to listen.

"It's today? I thought it was next month! No, no, I haven't been out of it. I've just been busy lately, okay? I'm just stressed, I'm sorry." Doojoon sighed deeply. "No, it's fine. I'll be there, don't worry. Yeah, you too. Bye."

Hyunseung frowned. Based on what he heard, he knew that there will be no date night for them two and that upset him. He's been waiting for this date for three weeks and he even begged his boss - well, not really his boss yet because he hasn't even started - to let him start on a different day. He stepped back when the door opened. Doojoon froze when he saw Hyunseung.

"I guess no date tonight?" he asked with a sad tone. 

"Seungie, I-"

"No, it's fine. Work comes first, right?" Hyunseung tried to smile, but the disappointment was evident. 

"Y-Yeah, work. Hyunseung, I'm really sorry. I'll make it up to you." Doojoon slipped his arms around Hyunseung's waist and pulled him closer. The latter just stayed limp in his arms, sadness all over his face. 

"I guess it's fine." Doojoon could hear the frustration in his voice and he felt bad. He tried kissing Hyunseung's cheeks, the tip of his nose and his lips in an attempt to cheer him up, but the blonde haired boy's expression remained blank. Doojoon lifted his chin to stare into his eyes.

"You're mad," Doojoon stated, frowning. Hyunseung drew out a long breath and hugged him.

"I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at your work." he mumbled against Doojoon's shoulder.

"I know, baby. I promise we'll get to have our date night soon. How about I stop by the bakery on my way home and buy you a box of cannolis?" Upon hearing his favorite pastry dessert, Hyunseung immediately became excited and jumped up and down. Doojoon laughed and bounced with him.

"Make sure to buy the large ones, okay?" he chirped.

"Anything for you. As long as you forgive me."

"Forgiven. But there's something else that I want." Hyunseung put his arm around Doojoon's neck.

"What?"

"I want dessert right now."

"Well, we still have some chocolate cake and cinnamon rolls in the fridge." Hyunseung shook his head.

"I don't want those."

"Then, what do you-" Doojoon's words were cut off when Hyunseung captured his lips. Doojoon smirked into the kiss, knowing exactly what he wanted. He stepped backwards into the bedroom, pulling the doe eyed boy with him. Doojoon kicked the door closed and pushed Hyunseung up against it, pinning his hands above his heads. 

--

"Are you sure you have to go?" Hyunseung asked as Doojoon put on his shoes. 

"Unfortunately, yes. But I'll try to get home early, okay?" Doojoon said, reaching out a hand to grasp Hyunseung's. The blonde boy pouted, but nodded.

"Alright. I'll see you later. I love you, Joonie." Hyunseung smiled lovingly and caressed his cheek.

"I love you too, Seungie. See you tonight." They exchanged a few kisses before Doojoon reluctantly left.

--

Hyunseung decided that since their date night was canceled, he might as well call his boss and ask if he could start already.

"Hello?"

"Good afternoon, Mr. Lim. It's Hyunseung."

"Ah, Mr. Jang. What can I do for you? You're still coming in tomorrow, right?"

"Actually, about that. If you would like, I could start today. My boyfriend suddenly had to go to work, so I'm not doing anything anymore for the rest of the day." 

"Oh, that would be great! Someone booked the whole place for an engagement party and we need as much employees as possible."

"Okay, I'll be there."

"Excellent. When you get there, look for me and I'll run you through how things go around the restaurant."

"Sounds good. Thank you, Mr. Lim."

"No, thank you, Hyunseung."

--

When Hyunseung arrived at the restaurant, he was greeted with warm smiles and happy introductions. All his nervousness disappeared as he was offered guidance by his co-workers because they were all new waiters at one point. So far, he's met Yoseob, Jiyong, Kikwang and Yongguk. Along with Mr. Lim, they showed him around while other staff were setting up for the engagement party. They showed him which tables he would be serving, taught him what to do and where to go during the party. Hyunseung kept on nodding his head, taking notes in his head and memorized what tasks he had to do. 

"Do you know who the couple is?" Hyunseung asked Yongguk while they were changing into their uniforms. 

"I don't know who the guy is, but the girl is Choi Sooyun." Hyunseung gasped.

"The Choi Sooyun?!" Yongguk nodded and Hyunseung couldn't believe it. "Whoa, I can't believe I get to meet Choi Sooyun today. Whoever the guy is, he's lucky. He's marrying into a family who owns pretty much half of Seoul."

"If I wasn't gay and didn't have a boyfriend, I would've totally tried to date her. She's gorgeous." Hyunseung nodded in agreement.

"Hey, I heard that!" they heard Yoseob yell from the bathroom. Hyunseung and Yongguk snickered.

"Just kidding, babe. You're the only one for me." Hyunseung laughed even more when they heard Yoseob coo, "Aww, baby."

--

The couple's guest started coming in and Hyunseung led them to their tables. After thirty minutes, most of the guests have already arrived, but the couple was still on their way. Mr. Lim called Hyunseung over and told him to go to the kitchen to see if they needed any help while they waited since he has culinary experience. Hyunseung got to help with chopping vegetables and making salad. 

Another thirty minutes later, Jiyong came in the kitchen and called Hyunseung. The couple has arrived and they're needed in the dining room to take orders. Jiyong briefed him on the different choices of soup, salad, entree, dessert and wine. Hyunseung wrote down all of these in his notepad. Before they exited the kitchen, Jiyong stopped.

"Good luck on your first day. If you're having trouble with anything, don't hesitate to ask any of us, okay?" Jiyong said, patting him on the shoulder. 

"I will. Thank you." Hyunseung took a deep breath and smiled widely before going into the dining area. He spotted Mr. Lim gesturing for him to come over and so he did.

"Today, you'll be serving the couple and their family's table." Hyunseung nodded.

"Which is their table?" Mr. Lim pointed at a long table and the moment Hyunseung set his eyes on it, he wished he hadn't asked. 

"Where is the couple?" Hyunseung couldn't stop the questions from coming out. Mr. Lim pointed at them and Hyunseung felt like his heart had been ripped out of his chest. He gritted his teeth and closed his eyes, in hopes of holding the tears back. Hyunseung's boss noticed his change in mood.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"I-I...I'm sorry. I d-don't feel well," he stuttered out. His breathing picked up and his eyes were starting to water.

"Go home, Hyunseung. You can come back to work tomorrow. I'd rather have you resting right now." He helped Hyunseung back into the change room and gathered his things. Mr. Lim offered to call a taxi for him, but Hyunseung declined, saying that he only lived a few minutes away. When he was done, he rushed out of the door to avoid anyone from seeing him. 

Hyunseung walked down the street, his mind a mess and his vision a blur from all the crying. He doesn't know what to do or where to go because the last thing that he wants to do is go home. 

"Hyunseung." That voice. The voice he loved so much, but is starting to hate. He continued to walk as if his name being called out was just a pigment of his imagination. 

"Hyunseung." The voice called out again, and this time, the owner grabbed his wrist. Hyunseung let his body move on it's own and turned around to slap the man's face.

"You. Are. Getting. Married. You are ing getting married, Yoon Doojoon," he hissed.

"I-I'm sorry, Seung." Another slap. Doojoon took it because he knows that he deserves it.

"I don't want your sorry. I want you to get out of my face and get out of my ing life. I don't want to be your dirty little secret. All those times that you told me you love me and whispered in my ear that I'm the only one for you are complete bull. If you really loved me, you wouldn't be engaged to another person. You wouldn't be lying to me, saying that you were suddenly called in for work, when in truth, you had a fiancee to attend to. Do you know how ing bad I feel? All that I believed in in this relationship were all lies. You never loved me. I was just the person you ed when your girlfriend couldn't fulfill your needs."

"That is not true! I loved you. I still love you." Doojoon tried to come closer, but was pushed back. 

"Stop it, Doojoon. Go back inside and be with your fiancee and guests," Hyunseung spat, turning on his heel.

"I don't want to go inside. I want to talk to you. I need to explain," he pleaded, hugging Hyunseung from behind. Doojoon could feel the doe eyed boy's shoulders shaking as he struggled out of the older man's grip.

"Doojoon, p-please. I want to be alone. I c-can't talk to you right now." Doojoon let go of him and they just stood there. He tried to find the right words to say, but he knew that nothing that comes out of his mouth will get Hyunseung to forgive him.

"Are you...are you going home?" Hyunseung let out a choked sob.

"I don't know where home is right now," he whispered, keeping his eyes on the ground.

"Seung-"

"Please, just...just go." With that, Hyunseung picked up his bag from the ground and walked away without looking back. Doojoon could feel his own eyes glisten and he could do nothing but turn and walk the opposite way.

--

Hyunseung didn't get far before a man wearing ripped up jeans and a hoodie that covered his face stopped him. 

"Give me your bag." Hyunseung's eyes widened.

"W-What?" he stuttered, darting his eyes from side to side, trying to figure out which way he was going to run if time comes. The street was empty, so he couldn't call out for help.

"I said, give me your bag," the man repeated, this time, with a hint of anger in his voice.

"B-But-"

"ing hand it over if you don't want to get hurt." Hyunseung gulped and he slowly slid his bag off his shoulder. The man reached over to take it.

"Okay but-" Hyunseung suddenly jerked his bag away from the man and shoved him as hard as he could. The man stumbled backwards, but managed to grab the end of Hyunseung's bag, and pulled him back harshly before he could even run away. Hyunseung tried to hit the guy, but he was too fast. Pain exploded in his face as the man punched him, but regardless of the dizziness he was feeling, he didn't let go of his bag. His cell phone, wallet, iPad and mp3 player were in there, and he wasn't going to give it up without a fight. He kicked the guy's crotch as hard as he could and he fell to the ground, groaning. He took this opportunity and ran past him. 

He didn't even get to the stop light before he felt something cold and sharp enter his back. His eyes widened and his breath became ragged. He felt a shiver run down his spine, when he felt hot breath against the back of his neck.

"If you had just given me the ing bag," he whispered and Hyunseung could smell the alcohol in his breath. Hyunseung gasped loudly when the man pushed in the blade deeper inside him, "you wouldn't have gotten hurt."

The man roughly pulled the knife out and pushed Hyunseung to the ground. All Hyunseung could do was lay on the ground and watch as the man picked up his bag and ran away. He shakily tried to get up, but the pain was too much. He could feel warm liquid seeping through his shirt and onto the cement. He coughed, spurting blood out from his mouth and he could feel his breaths become shorter. His vision was starting to become blurry and he prayed to God that someone will see him and call for help. 

--

Doojoon stared at the sky. He's been standing outside the restaurant for more than 15 minutes and he was sure that everyone inside is looking for him, but he didn't care. He couldn't stop thinking about Hyunseung and how he could make things right. He didn't want anyone else but Hyunseung. He needed him. He can't live without him. He ruffled his hair in frustration as he paced back and forth. A man suddenly ran past him, bumping him in the process.

"Hey! Watch where you're going," he yelled, then something caught his attention. The man was carrying the same exact bag that Hyunseung had with him. He started to panic when he spotted the keychain the he had given Hyunseung dangling from the zipper. He looked to the direction the man came from and spotted a form on the ground at the end of the street.

"Oh God, no, no, no." He sprinted as fast as he could to the person on the ground and fell on his knees upon seeing who it was.

", Seung!" Hyunseung lay limp, his breathing unstable and his lips moving, but no sound was coming out. Doojoon quickly took out his phone and called 911. He slowly pulled Hyunseung into his arms, the blond boy wincing in pain as his upper body was lifted up. 

"Hyunseung, what h-happened to you? Oh God, baby, hang in there. Help is on the way and th-they'll make you better, okay? P-Please stay with me. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," Doojoon sobbed, Hyunseung's hair. The latter smiled weakly, slowly reaching his hand up to caress Doojoon's cheek.

"I l-love you, D-Doo," he said, voice barely audible. Doojoon let out a strangled sob and kissed his love's forehead.

"I love y-you too, Seungie, so, so much. You'll get better and we'll work this out, okay? I-I'll find a way to fix things." Hyunseung gave him a small nod, his eyes half lidded. Doojoon sobbed and held him close, not caring if his clothes were stained with blood. He lifted Hyunseung's chin slightly and pressed a soft kiss on his lips.

--

The next hours were a blur for Doojoon. He remembered hearing the sirens and the paramedics taking Hyunseung from his arms. He insisted on coming with them when they rush Hyunseung to the hospital and left his engagement party without saying a word. Doojoon held his lover's hand and kept telling him that everything was going to be okay and that he will never leave his side. When they arrived at the hospital, they brought Hyunseung into the emergency room and Doojoon was forced to stay in the waiting room while doctors tried to save his life. 

His phone kept on ringing, but Doojoon kept on ignoring it. He realized that answering that damn phone earlier that morning was what had caused all of this mess.

If he hadn't answered, his fiancee wouldn't have reminded him of the engagement party and made him go.

If he hadn't agreed to going, he and Hyunseung wouldn't have had to cancel their date.

If they hadn't canceled their date, Hyunseung wouldn't have asked to start his new job a day earlier. 

If Hyunseung hadn't asked to start earlier, he wouldn't have been there at the restaurant.

If he hadn't been in the restaurant, he wouldn't have found out about Doojoon's engagement.

If he hadn't found out about Doojoon's engagement, Hyunseung wouldn't have left the restaurant early.

If Hyunseung hadn't left the restaurant early, Doojoon wouldn't have spotted him and ran after him to explain.

If Doojoon hadn't spotted him and ran after him to explain, Hyunseung wouldn't have stopped to talk to him.

If Hyunseung hadn't stopped to talk him, he wouldn't have ran into the man who stabbed him. 

Doojoon couldn't believe that all of this happened because of one phone call. But in fact, this chain reaction didn't start from one phone call. This chain reaction started when Doojoon agreed to marry Sooyun and kept it as a secret from Hyunseung. 

If Doojoon hadn't lied, Hyunseung on an operating table, fighting for his life, could've been avoided.

 

It's important to think wisely about the actions we make because they may cause a series of events that can lead to negative outcomes.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't even know. OTL