Chapter 3

In My Place

 

Days have passed since our anniversary and I noticed how different Kiseop was. Mysteriously silent as he always is, I somehow get a feeling that he is not telling me something. And I do hope it’s a something, and not a someone.

“This seems rare,” I suddenly blurted while repositioning my glasses. I was busily typing a paper in my red laptop, while Kiseop is flipping through a magazine. I was leaning against the arm rest of our couch with my legs resting on his lap.

“What is?” He asked without taking his eyes off the magazine.

“This. You and I together on a Saturday afternoon,” I said while eyeing him carefully.

He placed the magazine on my legs. “Well, it is rare. Don’t you like it?”

I stopped typing and pushed my monitor down. His head was leaning against the couch. He was staring at the ceiling and his black-rimmed glasses sitting atop of his sharp nose bridge. “Of course, I like it. It’s just I became used to you always being away for work.”

Kiseop shifted and met my eyes. I felt his hand caressing my legs. “Then, let’s make the most out of this. Where do you want to go?”

I placed my laptop on the table and gave him a playful thinking expression. “Hmmm... I don’t really know. Whatever you’re thinking will be fine.”

Kiseop leaned forward to capture my lips in a sweet kiss. “I think I know where.”


 

Kiseop was smiling throughout the whole trip. I tried to think that it was because we could finally spend time together, but something still bugs me.

“We’re here.” He said as he killed the engine and unbuckled his seatbelt. I was slightly startled that we have already arrived. I must have been thinking too deeply.

“This is... the city’s park,” I said as I’ve stepped out of the car and looked around at the familiar surroundings.

“Don’t you like it here?” Kiseop asked worriedly as he clasped his hand into mine.

“No. I mean, it’s fine. It’s just...” I trailed off. “It wasn’t what I was expecting.”

Kiseop kissed the top of my head and pulled me into a hug. “Sorry if I didn’t tell you earlier. The truth is I just want to walk around and relax with you. I’ve been way too busy for the past weeks that I couldn’t what rest is like.”

I looked up and smiled at his confession. “Walking around with you would be nice.” I placed a chaste kiss on his lips and started walking.


 

The weather was cooperative that Saturday afternoon. The sun was up, but there were quite some clouds to block its rays. It was quite windy though, and there were a number of times I had to pull my skirt down. Kiseop was so sweet pushing the strands away from my face whenever the wind blows.

The park wasn’t that filled as well. There were children running around, families having picnics and couples dating. We walked most of the time, occasionally stopping to admire the flowers and buying knick-knacks. We talked, we laughed, we smiled, we kissed – we felt like we were the only ones in the park.

The sun was beginning to set when we passed by the middle of the park. It was an empty space, especially reserved for community-held activities or gatherings. Today, it wasn’t empty though. It was filled with old couples dancing with all that’s left with their might.

Kiseop and I were busily looking at all the couples, until an old lady in a yellow dress approached us. “You two seem like a very beautiful couple. Would you want to join us?”

“May we know what this is for?” Kiseop asked politely.

The old lady chuckled. “Oh, it’s just a monthly gathering of our association. As you can see, we are all in our sixties and beyond. This time, we want it to be a couples’ evening, filled with merriment.”

“What are you talking about, honey?” A bald man chimed in. He smiled and kissed the old lady on her cheek.

“Look, honey. They are a young couple. They are just asking about the dance we have here,” she answered with a smile.

“What a beautiful couple. Since my wife is so fond of you two, why don’t you join us in our table? I’m sure our other elderlies wouldn’t mind.”

“Is it okay for you, Ha Neul?” Kiseop whispered. I only looked at him as a reply.

He squeezed my hand and smiled. “I think it’s fine having a little company.”


 

Being the only young couple at the event, I can’t help feel uncomfortable. I wasn’t really used to all the attention. Good thing, Kiseop and I were together. Because of his job, he has learned to talk to people of different ages and backgrounds. I remember him stuttering a lot during the first few months of our relationship. Now, he is able to handle anything.

“How long have you been married?” Kiseop asked Mr. and Mrs. Woo, the couple that were fond of us earlier.

“We actually just celebrated our 50th year last month,” Mrs. Woo happily replied.

“Wow! That is amazing!” I exclaimed. Mrs. Woo laughed my expression.

“Well, it really is... especially when you have been through so much together,” she said as she looked at her husband and gave him a peck on the cheek.

Kiseop and I listened attentively to Mr. and Mrs. Woo’s love story. They were like Romeo and Juliet with a love so strong that no one could separate them. As I took in every detail of their forbidden love, I noticed the twinkle in Mrs. Woo’s eyes. Mr. Woo said it was that twinkle in her eyes that made him love her.

“That twinkle in her eyes...” Mr. Woo said dreamily, “Whenever I look into her eyes, they remind me why I married her 50 years ago.”   

I wanna make you smile whenever you're sad 
Carry you around when your arthritis is bad 
 

“Now,” Mr. Woo said as he stood up, “Excuse me while I take my lovely wife away for a dance.”

Oh all I wanna do is grow old with you

Kiseop and I watched the couple as they made their way to the dance floor. There were only a few couples in the event as the night continued to pass.

I'll get your medicine when your tummy aches 
Build you a fire if the furnace breaks  

“May I have this dance?” Kiseop said as he held out his right hand.

Oh it could be so nice, growing old with you

I slightly chuckled at his gentlemanly gesture and placed my hand on top his. When we reached the middle of the dance floor, we held each other in a waltz position and swayed our bodies to the music.

I'll miss you 
Kiss you 
Give you my coat when you are cold 

He sang to the lines of the song, which made me chuckle at the traces of his Korean accent. “I mean every word, Ha Neul,” he whispered sweetly in my ear.

Need you 

Feed you 

Even let ya hold the remote control

“Kiseop, would you really like to grow old with me?” I asked. “Would you love me the way Mr. Woo loves his wife, even when I’m old and wrinkly?”

He stopped and held my face in between his hands. “Do you really have to ask that now?”

“Why? Is that how you say ‘no’?” I asked in disbelief. I removed his hands from my face and avoided his eyes. “Ever since our anniversary, there’s something different about you. Is there something you’re not telling me?”

So let me do the dishes in our kitchen sink 

“Ha Neul... let’s not talk about this here,” Kiseop said in a low voice.

“Talk what Kiseop?!” My voice was rising. “What are you not telling me?”

“Ha Neul... please.”

Put you to bed when you've had too much to drink

“I’ll go ahead. You can stay here if you want.” I stormed off the dance floor and grabbed my bag from the table. I quickly apologized to Mr. and Mrs. Woo and made a mad dash away from everyone.

I could be the man who grows old with you

“I’m sorry, Ha Neul,” Kiseop whispered while holding a small black box in his hand.

I wanna grow old with you


Wow... so it's been more than a month since I last updated. Mianhae~ I've been really busy working on my thesis and at the same time, looking for a part-time job. I'm really sorry. *bows*

I hope you're not losing interest of the story. To make you even more excited, Jaeseop (AJ) will be appearing really really soon! :)
 

Will Kiseop and Ha Neul ever make up? What is Kiseop hiding? And what is that small black box in his hand?

 
You'll find out when you subscribe, comment and spread the love