Queen

Queen

Queen Regent

“You’re worried again.”

“Can you blame me?” A nearly sad smile crossed Sooyoung’s face as she stared at her reflection. “Why does the coronation have to be tomorrow?”

Key remained in his spot against the wall, folding his arms over his chest. “I wish you all the best, your majesty.”

She turned almost in an instant, glaring at the young man she became close to since they met in a royal party nearly two years ago. “Not you too! What happened to noona? Don’t address me like that!”

“Relax, noona.” The son of a Korean-American billionaire tycoon raised his hands in defense. “Aren’t you happy that you’re queen now? It was proven that you’re the legitimate heir to the throne.”

Sooyoung sighed, heading over to the sofa to sit down. “I never asked for this… the pressure… the responsibility…”

“You have the power to make a difference in the lives of the people now, noona.” The dark haired man pushed off from the wall. “You can help them.”

He was right. As queen – heir to the throne – she was set to have the same power as that of a king. “Good point, Kim Ki Bum.”

                A smile made its way to her face but it was no longer a sad one. Sooyoung remained silent as she gazed at Key, who was busy suggesting projects she could do as queen. But even as he suggested, he always made it a point that the decision was entirely up to her. She suddenly found herself very, very lucky.

Queen Victoria had Prince Albert

Sooyoung had Key.

 


Queen Consort

                Sooyoung’s head snapped up as she heard the door opening and closing. Throwing the hook off her lap, she gathered the skirt of her gown in her hands and ran as fast as she could to the man waiting room of the master’s bedroom. A look of concern crossed her face as her eyes fell on her husband.

“Your highness…”

“North Korea just doesn’t know how to give up!” Yunho exclaimed in fury, slamming his hands on the desk. “They won’t change their demands.”

Her eyes widened as she slowly approached the furious king. “They’re risking a war…”

“I don’t want to put our men’s lives on the line for something that can be avoided!” He ran a hand through his hair in frustration. “The people are dissatisfied with what’s happening already. I don’t know what to do.”

Sooyoung placed a hand on his arm. “Your majesty…”

The dark haired man took a deep breath. “I think we have no choice but to go to war, your highness. The opponents are not willing to have a compromise. We don’t have a choice. The odds–”

“Oppa.”

                Yunho fell silent; his heart relishing one of the rare moments that she called him the way she used to back then. Ever since he became king and she became his queen, they’d been so consumed by their royal duties and had gotten used to addressing each other formally. That one simple word reminded Yunho of how life used to be so simple… and it made him crumble inside.

“Oh, oppa.” Sooyoung caught him in her arms as he sobbed. “Oppa…”

“I don’t know what to do.” The dark haired king took a deep breath. “Soo… what do I do?”

                She could only sigh, hugging her husband tighter. There were times she wished that she had more power as queen so that she could help him. But she knew it was pointless on dwelling on something that she could never have… so she swore to herself to do the one thing only she could do best.

Be the best wife for her king.