Without You: Part 2 [END]

Little Bits Here and There ✍

"Hahahahahahahaha," Yoon Ji laughed, repeatedly slamming her right hand down on the table. "This. Is. Gold."

 

She fell into a roar of laughs again, her stomach squeezing up from the exercise. Small tears found its way to the edges of her eyes and she had to wipe them away with a finger.

 

"Can you stop?" a deep voice asked, annoyed.

 

Yoon Ji looked up at Young Jae from the computer screen. Upon seeing his face, she broke out into laughter again, barely able to breathe.

 

"Lee Yoon Ji."

 

"But... but..." she turned to the computer screen again, the picture worth every penny in the world blown up to full screen, and couldn't help but snicker once more. There was Young Jae, performing on stage with his friends for the local festival; his arms were raised in mid-dance, his eyes staring at the audience with charisma. The picture was taken at the precise moment his shirt had lifted up, revealing a not-exactly-small curve of fat at his torso. Yoon Ji was a genius for bringing her good camera.

 

"Seriously, why did you take a picture like that?" Young Jae complained, taking a closer look at the screen.

 

"Looks like we have to ease up on the sweets," Yoon Ji teased, giving him a pat on his stomach. Young Jae backed away immediately, glaring at her.

 

 

Yoon Ji plopped down on the couch with an ice cream tub in one hand and a spoon in the other. She the television to a variety show, watching but not really paying attention.

 

Was it her fault that she had managed to take a picture like that?

 

Yoon Ji pouted, scooping a spoonful of ice cream and melting it in . It was boring without Young Jae around, and he hadn't been around for a few days already. She tried going over to his house, but he would only kick her back out. Young Jae didn't even talk to her anymore, an extreme rarity for that chatter box.

 

She let out a grunt of frustration as she futilely kicked the air. Out of all the times he would get annoyed at her, she hated it most when he resorted to the silent treatment. She couldn't stand it. Why was he being so sensitive? He should be able to tolerate being made fun of at least once.

 

...Okay, so maybe it wasn't only once she ...

 

 

"It isn't really that bad," Young Jae explained as they walked to the theatres.

 

Yoon Ji only chuckled.

 

"It's not that I don't have stomach fat," he continued, "I do have a little..."

 

Young Jae stopped talking for a moment to pull Yoon Ji to the side by the arm.

 

"Can you watch where you're going? How did you possibly not see the streetlamp?"

 

She only looked at him sheepishly, scratching the back of her head. She wasn't really the one to pay attention to what was in front of her.

 

"What would you do without me?" Young Jae sighed; that was his favourite verse to say to her since they first became friends. Yoon Ji was more on the clumsy side than not. "How many times do I have to tell you? One of these days, you could seriously get hurt and who would you have to blame but yourself? Hm?"

 

She rolled her eyes at his nagging; the boy loved to talk, especially when it came to chastise her.

 

"Anyways, as I was saying, I do have a little fat... Just not to that extent of your god awful picture."

 

To take revenge for his nagging, she pinched the side of his stomach, pulling a little at the skin trapped in her fingers. She looked up at Young Jae devishly. "Not to that extent, right?"

 

Young Jae raised on eyebrow in disbelief at her actions, his mouth dropped slightly from shock.

 

"Lee Yoon Ji!!!!"

 

 

But still, it was unreasonable of him to just stop talking to her. He should have thought about all the years they were friends together and just let it go, like he usually did. And then she would have stopped... Eventually.

 

 

"Chubby Young Jae," she sang as she read manga on his bed. She could see Young Jae twitch in annoyance in his seat at the desk. So she repeated it, "Chubby Young Jae. Baby Fat Young Jae? Pudgy Young Jae~"

 

Young Jae finally turned to face her. "Yah!!" 

 

Yoon Ji gave him a casually smug smile. "Yes?"

 

"Go read somewhere else if you're going to be like that," he complained, throwing a paper ball at her. Yoon Ji attempted to catch it but failed.

 

"I can't leave you though."

 

He tilted his head to the side, confused by Yoon Ji's words.

 

"I have to keep an eye on you to make sure you don't devour the whole fridge," Yoon Ji snickered, slapping the bed with her right hand at her own joke.

 

Young Jae looked thoroughly offended as he got up to wrap Yoon Ji in the blanket she was lying on, pulling her down from the bed and out the door of his room. She was still laughing in the pool of fabric as she knocked on Young Jae's closed door to let her back in.

 

 

Perhaps she did milk the whole situation a bit, since it was the only chance she had. Young Jae excelled at everything: studying, sports, games, dancing, singing, and all else that he attempted at doing. That one little flaw Yoon Ji found only made her like him more; she thought he was absolutely adorable and it fueled her to more.

 

 

"Look, look look!" she said excitedly, pointing at her phone. She saw Young Jae freeze at what he saw, which was his most hated picture in the world. He grabbed the phone out of her hands, peering into it intensely.

 

"What is this doing on your phone?" he demanded, glaring at her. He seemed to be doing that a lot these days.

 

Yoon Ji only chuckled, giving him a bright smile.

 

"I thought it'd be nice to take it out and see it whenever I wanted."

 

Young Jae let out an exasperated groan, dragging his hands down his face. "Yoon Ji-yah, this performance was supposed to be cool, charismatic, and powerful. Did you hear me sing live? Did you watch the dance? This ridiculous picture should be the last thing you remember about the festival."

 

Yoon Ji barely listened to him as she grinned, looking down at the picture of Young Jae's baby fat. 

 

"Really? Because it's actually the first thing I recall. Young Jae and baby fat. What song did you guys sing again?" she asked nonchalantly, although she remembered every detail of his performance. How could she not? Young Jae was flawless that night and her heart had been beating out of her chest for the entire time she was watching him.

 

Young Jae kept silent.

 

"Hey, did you ever consider going on a diet? I told you to stop eating baked goods, didn't I? I could help you, you know."

 

"...Whatever..."

 

 

It was after that conversation that Young Jae decided to give her the silent treatment. Something Yoon Ji had said then ticked him off... But which part was it?

 

Yoon Ji sat still, thinking back on the conversation again. She had showed him the picture, and then they talked about his performance at the festival. After that, the last thing she had told him was to... go on a diet. Was that what offended him so much? It did seem the most logical; Young Jae was starting to become pretty self conscious about his weight, ever since Yoon Ji had taken that photo. And then suggesting a diet might have stressed him out even further.

 

If that was so, what could she could she do to make it up to him? She didn't really mean any of what she said, after all.

 

Then the idea came to her. Yoon Ji's lips curved up into a bright smile as she realized the perfect solution. He wouldn't be able to keep from talking to her when she was done.

 

Excited to follow through on her plan, she bolted up from the sofa. As she stood up, the ice cream tub in her lap fell off, landing on the hardwood floor and spilling the half-melted ice cream all over the hardwood floor. Her spoon clattered underneath the sofa. Cursing, Yoon Ji groaned at her stupidity as she went to clean it up, missing Young Jae's nagging even more.

 

 

 

 

 

Yoon Ji carefully punched in the numbers, internally letting out a shout of glee as the door chimed to tell her the password was correct. She panicked for a moment when she realized he changed his password after their fight, but it was predictable of Young Jae to use Yoon Ji's lowest test score to spite her. Well, she had read him like a book.

 

She carefully opened the door, checking to make sure Young Jae wasn't home. Yoon Ji had asked Dae Hyun to take Young Jae out to an internet cafe and keep him busy, but it didn't hurt to double check. It looked like Dae Hyun had done his job; the house was empty. She lifted the plastic bags of groceries inside and walked to the kitchen.

 

"Hey Jello," Yoon Ji greeted Young Jae's cat. Jello walked over to her and rubbed against her leg, purring. She smiled as she watched the light orange cat walked away after to mind its own business. 

 

"Time to get to work," Yoon Ji puffed, folding up her sleeves.

 

For the next few hours, she was preoccupied with baking. Yoon Ji wasn't much of a cook, but for one reason or another, baking was her forte. Young Jae loved it when she baked, finishing up to the very last crumb. Her plan used that to her advantage; she would melt him down first with food, and then apologize to him.

 

By the time she was done, the small dining table was filled up to the edge with plates of cookies, pastries and sweets. At the center was a large chocolate cake, with "I'm Sorry" written in blue icing. She grinned in satisfaction, looking at the full table. Young Jae wouldn't be able to say no upon seeing this. 

 

Exhausted, Yoon Ji took a seat in the dining chair, admiring her work. A part of her was hoping Young Jae would share his gift with her, since there was no way he could finish all this. Baking really created an appetite. While she was resting, Yoon Ji noticed something in the corner of her eye, an envelope peaking out from her bag. 

 

Curious, she took it out and opened it; as she read the words on the letter, she blushed. It was a love letter she had written a while back, when she first realized that she had a crush on her best friend. It was astonishingly corny and cheesy, the flowery words so unlike her; she had forgotten she wrote it, being too embarrassed to admit it and knowing she would never send it to its recipient.

 

Yoon Ji wondered how Young Jae would react if he read this. Would he laugh in her face, asking if she was joking? Would he send her an awkward smile, the one that showed up whenever he was uncomfortable, and politely reject her? She had seen it happen to a few other girls. Would they still be good friends like now?

 

She let out a deep exhale, placing the envelope on the table and staring at it. What a terrible thing it was, being stuck in the friend-zone.

 

Suddenly, her phone chimed to notify her of a text message. It was from Dae Hyun.

 

"I think Young Jae's getting bored. He'll probably head back soon."

 

Yoon Ji shot up from her seat, muttering curses under her breath. She looked around the kitchen, jaw dropping when she saw what she had created. There were dirty dishes scattered everywhere, utensils with dough caked on them, cracked eggshells, remainders of white flour and sugar, and empty containers that originally held newly bought ingredients; it was a downright mess.  Young Jae's going to throw a hissy fit when he sees this, she thought in panic, hurrying to clean everything up. I hope Dae Hyun can keep him for a little longer...

 

She was busy gathering the dirty dishes to the sink when she saw an orange shadow trot its way into the kitchen. She stared blankly at Jello as he lingered at the bottom of the table. He walked back and forth a few times, before leaning its weight on its hind legs. Yoon Ji's eyes widened as she realized what he was going to do.

 

"Jello, NO!" she shouted, running to the cat to stop him.

 

But it was already too late.

 

To Yoon Ji, it happened in slow motion. Jello leaped up onto a plate; unable to stay balanced on the table with the cat's added weight, the plate tipped over and the cookies on it went flying. Jello leaped straight into the cake, ruining Yoon Ji's beautiful cake art and adding lovely blue icing to compliment his orange fur. Yoon Ji threw herself at Jello in a lame attempt to stop him, only she tripped on her way over. She waved at the empty air for something to hold onto as she fell forward. If only she hadn't gripped anything at all. The one thing Yoon Ji had managed to grab was the table cloth, pulling it down as she fell. Jello safely jumped onto off the table and watched the pastries and plates fly through the air before landing flat on the ground with a loud echo of clatters. 

 

When the house had gone still and silent, Yoon Ji looked around.

 

"Aha... Ha. Haha... Ahahaha..." Yoon Ji could only let out a nervous laughter at what she saw. 

 

The kitchen remained as a mess, distracted by Jello before she had a chance to properly clean. Only now, a disaster had unfolded in the dining area. Baked goods and dishes were scattered all across the floor; thankfully, the plates remained intact. The ruined cake landed on its side and sharing its remaining icing with the floor. The other sweets Yoon Ji had taken the effort to make were thoroughly destroyed, big chunks here and there with crumbs everywhere. And through all this, Jello had managed to knock over a bag of flour, sending a layer of white all over the house. It was as if a hurricane had passed through.

 

Well, .

 

Suddenly, Yoon Ji heard the sound of someone punching in the password at the door. There was a chime, and the sound of the door opening and closing. 

 

Young Jae.

 

Double .

 

The universe seemed to pit against her as she watched he appear before her. He looked as handsome as ever, in a plain white t-shirt, black hoodie and dark jeans with headphones around his neck. Yoon Ji watched his eyes wander around the kitchen, taking in the mess before landing on her. She was still in her apron, with food bits all over her and flour in her hair. The table cloth she accidentally pulled was still her grip.

 

"Y-Young Jae..." Yoon Ji managed out quietly. She was mentally preparing herself to hear him shout at her for intruding his place and creating a mess.

 

"Lee Yoon Ji... What are you..."

 

Yoon Ji shook her hands in front of her desperately, in denial of his coming accusations.

 

"I didn't mean for this to happen! I really didn't. I just wanted to apologize to you so I made all this and it was all on the table before but then Jello suddenly wanted to go up and I tried to stop him but I tripped and I accidentally pulled at the cloth..." Yoon Ji stopped her rambling, feeling incredibly guilty under Young Jae's stare. "I'm really sorry..."

 

Yoon Ji looked down at her hands, not knowing what else to say.

 

Then she heard a click of a camera.

 

At the sound, she looked up to see Young Jae taking a picture of her with his phone with a smirk on his face. When noticed her looking at him, his smirk got wider until he was snickering at her. He wagged his phone in front of her. "Now we're even."

 

"What? But! I did all this for you," she exclaimed, giving half an attempt at taking the phone from him. He pulled it away from her quickly, tucking it away in his jeans.

 

"So what are going to do about my place?" Young Jae asked, raising one eyebrow at her. 

 

Yoon Ji quieted down instantly. "Sorry..."

 

Young Jae chuckled, walking to her through the mess and crouching down to her eye level. He let out a sigh before giving her a soft smile. "Apology accepted."

 

"Really? You're speaking to me again?"

 

"Yup," Young Jae nodded.  "But you are cleaning this up. Every inch of this floor and the kitchen. Then you're going to give Jello a bath. How did he get covered in cake? I leave you alone for a few days and you manage to make a wreck of my house. Really, what would you do without... What's this?"

 

His hands reached over to slip out an envelope from underneath a place. Yoon Ji's relief fell as quickly as it came as she saw the piece of paper in Young Jae's hands. Absolute dread took over her.

 

"Nothing!" she answered quickly, lunging her upper body to snatch it away from Young Jae. He moved before she could, looking all the more curious by her reaction.

 

"Nothing, right..." he mumbled, starting to open the letter. 

 

Yoon Ji made several more desperate attempts to grab the letter from him, but Young Jae managed to escape her efforts with ease. She was turning redder by the second as she realized Young Jae would soon know how she truly felt about him. Young Jae carefully read down the lines, an unreadable expression on his face.

 

"A confession letter..." he whispered, and Yoon Ji was near explosion from her embarrassment. She could feel him staring at her but she couldn't meet his eyes. "And I'm the one that found it too."

 

Young Jae moved closer to her, wrapping his hand around her cheek and tilting her head up. Yoon Ji had no choice but to look at him.

 

His bleached blonde hair, straight and smooth, caught Yoon Ji's attention first. Then her eyes followed the way his straight, long bangs got into his eyes, the lashes pushing against his hair. She saw his soft brown eyes turn into half circles as he smiled at her. She followed the line of his button nose and the curve his plump cheeks until she saw his pout rosy lips pulled back in a grin.

 

"All you had to do was this."

 

Young Jae leaned in, his face drawing closer and closer to Yoon Ji's. Before she knew it, he was planting a soft kiss on her lips. 

 

Feeling his soft lips, fireworks light up in the back of her mind. Her stomach was doing flips as her heart started racing. Her body was reacting to his touch, although Yoon Ji herself could barely comprehend what was happening.

 

Youn Jae pulled away, looking into her eyes before giving her a bright grin. He was adorable. When he saw how confused Yoon Ji looked, he gave her another quick peck, chuckling. He ran a hand through her hair and tousled it.

 

"Can't even confess probably... What would you do without me?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Hey, Yoo Young Jae," Yoon Ji started, wrapping her arms around his waist. 

 

"Yes?" he asked, embracing her in return.

 

"Did you really get angry at me for telling you to go on a diet?" she asked, ready to for being sensitive as soon as he said yes.

 

Young Jae looked at her with an expression of disbelief.

 

"No! You really think I'll be so petty?"

 

Yoon Ji hesitated for a moment before answering, receiving a glare from her boyfriend. She gave him an innocent shrug.

 

"I was mad because you didn't pay attention to my performance. I was supposed to look really cool in front of you and you were supposed to fall right for me. Instead, you went on and on about that stupid picture..." he grumbled, turning pink.

 

Yoon Ji broke out in giggles, hugging him tighter.

 

"In all fairness, you didn't really need me to fall for you. All you had to do was this."

 

Yoon Ji leaned up on her toes, kissing Young Jae on the lips.