Bloodlust, Role-play and Masters of Puppets

A Paranormal Guide To High School Popularity

I slept rather comfortably – considering that the house I was sleeping in looked like some haunted Halloween attraction. But all the bedrooms were actually . . . pimped out and freaking sweet. I had a large king sized bed with satin sheets and a gold frame. The closet was filled with all sorts of expensive clothes which, with Nichkhun’s help, were all my size. The hugest LED TV I’d ever seen was hanging in front of my bed and I had all of the gaming consoles, ever.

   But the coolest thing about the room . . . the mini-fridge.

   I didn’t even need to get out of bed to have breakfast, I just sat in bed – , cause ya’ know, satin feels so good on the skin – and stuffed my face with junk food as I button mashed the hell out of my xbox controller to defeat this evil giant boss dude.

   KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

   The sound made me jump. “Yeah?”

   When the door cracked open a little, Nichkhun stepped inside and immediately raised an eyebrow at me. “Do you always eat while playing Skyrim?” He asked with an amused tone, leaning against the wall as he crossed his arms and his eyes burned holes through me.

   “Y-Yah!!” I covered my man s with my hands, thankful that I had the sheets wrapped around my waist. “GET OUT YOU ERT!” I yelled. “What are you doing here?!”

   Nichkhun only grinned and took a step closer to the bed. “Why, I came to inform you that we’re moving today~” He shrugged and then left.

   “Wait!” I actually stopped him. “Wait, come back here~” He smiled as he turned around, it was kinda creepy the way he stared at my chest. Is this what girls went through all the time? I ignored his weirdness. “Where are we going?”

   “We’re leaving Busan . . . and we’re gonna fly to Seoul~” Nichkhun said as if he was doing one of those cheesy commercials like all the pop bands do. “Anyway, we leave in an hour, so get dressed . . . or stay , I wouldn’t mind one bit~”

   This guy, he actually had me blushing like a . In that moment, I’d never felt more angry in my life . . . but it all seemed to disappear when his previous words finally set in. “Wait, what?!” I blinked, dumbfounded. “How do you expect us to pack up the entire house in an hour?”

   “Don’t you worry your pretty little head, alright?” Nichkhun winked.

   I wasn’t sure whether Nichkhun was more cheesy . . . or charming. Maybe that was all part of his annoying scheme to make people’s hearts go all crazy-like and explode through their chest. And maybe I was giving in to the way he gently bit his lips and stared me down as if I was something to eat. Maybe I was the weak one, and denying this gorgeous prince my cooperation was inevitably going to fail, inevitably.

   Maybe . . . What the am I talking about? I ING HATE HIM, there’s NO confusion! I rolled my eyes at the Thai and all his y pretty faced ness that I hated. “Get out of my room, before I . . .” Mouth you. I shivered at the thought that my own mind put there and then shook my head. “J-Just . . . get out.”

   Surprisingly, Nichkhun left without another sound and I immediately felt so much better. He must have been playing with my emotions again. That sneaky Harry Potter wannabe. Next time he tries to put a spell on me, I’ll . . . bite him. Or something.

 

I walked into the kitchen to see Taec sitting at the table like a zombie, his face was crushed against the tablecloth and his arms hung loosely at his sides. He really looked dead. The small pool of drool indicated that he was sleeping, or half sleeping because his eyes were open. I inched my way closer to him, staring at the expression on his face and then started to worry. , he’s really dead . . . OMG HE’S DEAD!! The musty smell of him confirmed it.

   I jumped back and screamed, about to run to find Nichkhun or Chansung o-or anyone before suddenly, Taecyeon sat up and wiped at his mouth, glaring at me. “Yahhh~ Why are you so loud? I’m trying to sleep.”

   “Oh my god, I thought you were dead!” I stuttered in shock, shivering a little at how creepy it looked. “It was so weird.”

   “He has a habit of doing that,” Jeonggam jumped on the table. “It’s an insufferable dog thing . . .” If he wasn’t a cat, I would have sworn he was scowling at Taec.

   “You’re lucky I don’t eat you.” Taecyeon grumbled to the cat and received a hiss of a reply. Taec then swatted the cat off the table and the dark grey fur ball ran out the room with an angry meow. “ing hairy piece of–” As is he suddenly noticed my presence again, he looked at me. “Are you ready to go yet? Khunnie made me wait here for you – which isn’t fair by the way!”

   I raised an eyebrow. “What are you talking about? Where’d he go, I thought we were moving.”

   “Duh, that’s what I’m talking about. Nichkhun, Chan and the brother’s already went to Seoul ‘cause you were taking too long, now let’s go.” The taller boy got up from the table. “Jeonggammmm~ We’re leaving now!”

   I stared as Taec walked out of the kitchen. How the hell could they be in Seoul already? It’s on the other side of the country . . . I shook my head and followed Taecyeon out the front door, gasping when I almost stepped into a wall of blue and purple translucent wavy ripples. I don’t know if that makes any sense, but it’s what it looked like to me~

   Staring at the weird glowing wall in front of me that cut off the entire hallway of the house, I suddenly realized it was a portal – I think. Like, the ones you see on weird sci-fi TV shows and fantasy movies.

   To go through the portal, or not go through the portal . . . It didn’t take long for me to decide that I was perfectly happy living here in Busan. Just as I started to turn around to go back to my room, a hand reached through the blue wavy screen of the portal and gripped my shirt collar. “!” Was the last thing I said before suddenly being yanked through to the other side of wherever it was taking me.

   I fell to the ground and my face scraped against what felt like concrete as I was caught off guard. Quickly getting my bearings, I jumped up and got into a crouching position on the balls of my feet, baring my teeth all around me at whoever it was that grabbed me. When I realized what I was doing, I looked down at myself – my hands were curled into claws and I was hissing – I jumped back, standing up straight and regaining my composure.

   Taecyeon and Nichkhun were both looking at me with exceptionally raised eyebrows, while Chansung came up to me with an expression that looked like absolute glee. “Aiiiish, you make such a cute angry vampire!!” The taller vampire said as he wrapped his arms around me from behind. The embrace was cold, weird, but I liked it.

   Wait, did he just call me cute?! I pushed him away and hid my blush, glaring at Nichkhun to change the subject. “Yah! HOW DARE YOU LEAVE ME THERE!! I came down stairs and you were gone and then Taec left and then suddenly there was this wall and, and, and . . . Ya’ know!”

   Nichkhun only grinned. “I didn’t know you cared so much for my company, Wooyoung-ah.”

   “I don’t!” Jesus Christ, what did I do this for?! I tried to come up with something to say that wouldn’t be digging my own grave even more but then a sharp pressure shrieked through my head and I gripped my face in pain, dropping back to my knees.

   Khun came to kneel beside me, even though I tried to push him away, but he simply placed his hand over my head and murmured something. As soon as the pain started to fade I looked up to meet his warm smile. “Does that feel better?” His smile grew when I nodded and then he stood up, pulling me along with him.

   I realized then that Chansung and Taecyeon had disappeared, where; I don’t know . . . which reminded me. “Where are we?!” I complained to Nichkhun, looking around and realizing that we were in a house somewhere. It was new and the walls were mostly white with expensive looking hardwood floors.

   “We’re in Seoul, I moved everything in your room to your new bedroom, it’s the second one on the left upstairs.” Nichkhun pointed towards the grand staircase. “We start school in the morning . . . I’ll leave you alone now.” He flashed one of his smiles and I’ll actually admit, this time, it kinda made my heart swoon. But all too soon, he turned around and ran up the staircase, leaving me alone in the empty hallway and feeling slightly warm and fuzzy.

   I quickly shook off the feeling, going to find the kitchen. “I still hate him.” I chewed on my lip, refusing to think about his strangely attractive smile and heartthrob like charms. Just not as much . . .

 

Something woke me up in the middle of the night, I turned to roll over, attempting to ignore it but where was a presence that I couldn’t shake off. Like something looming over the foot of my bed.

   I shot up and looked around the dark room, seeing a faint twitching in the corner. Before I could make out what it was, the thing lunged at me. The only thing I could recognize were the sharp teeth and the smell of blood. I screamed and clawed at the thing, biting when I could, but no damage could be done. A hand wrapped around my throat and I started screaming more, maybe even cried a little but I’d never admit it.

   Suddenly to my left, the flash of a camera went off and then I heard snickering as the thing backed away from me, laughing. “Oh my god, you scare so easily!!” A soft voice giggled and then the lights switched on.

   I glared at Junho, who was standing by the bed with a camera in his hands, eye smiling at me.

   Junsu was standing on the foot of my bed, looking down at me – also laughing – as he wiped fake blood off of his face that was covered in black make up. “Yeah, you need to lighten up . . . You only live once . . . well, then you become a ghost~” The two ghosts shared a laugh and I glared at them.

   “Do you mind saving the pranks for when I don’t have to wake up for school in the morning.”

   They snorted in unison. “No way~” Junsu said as Junho whined a “that’s no fun~”

   “Get the hell out of my room.” I growled.

   “What cha gonna do, kill me?” Junsu teased and I lost my temper, punching at him. As quickly as I raised my hand and swung at him, he disappeared and Junho yelled.

   “Yah, don’t you hit my boyfriend!” The smaller started barking, like a dog. It was effective at one thing . . . annoying the hell out of me.

   With a groan, I fell back on the bed and pulled the pillow over my head to try and drown out the annoying dog barks. “C’mere puppy, I got a treat for ya!” I glared when I heard Junsu’s voice, pulling the pillow away to see him on the other side of the room, halfway sticking out of the wall with a cookie in his hand. “Come to daddy, pretty puppy~” He beckoned Junho over to him like a dog.

   Junho’s face lit up and he eye smiled at the older ghost. “Do I get y times?!”

   Junsu smirked. “If you bring your cute little over here, you’ll find out~” He said before disappearing through the wall, Junho following him shortly after with an excited squeal.

   I don’t know what I’d just witnessed, but I was pretty sure it had to do with things that I truly didn’t want to know about. But, we don’t always get what we want, now do we?

   The rest of my night consisted of me trying – and I mean trying – to sleep through the sounds of the horrifying ghostly role-play that was going on in the attic. If you could imagine the worst o you’ve ever seen and then times the horror by one hundred, then you’d start to understand what it was like sleeping in the room underneath those two.

   “Bark for me, puppy!” Junsu said at one point, and then the barking started, making it truly impossible for me to sleep. By then it was almost sunrise, so I just sighed pulled myself out of bed and went to go make breakfast.

   I was surprised to see Chansung sitting at the table. He looked up at me and smiled. “Good morning~”

   I rolled my eyes and grabbed a bowl to get some cereal, blinking at the giant mixing bowl he had in front of him that was filled to the brim with captain crunch. He was eating out of a serving spoon. “Why are you eating so much, you’ll get fat~”

   Chansung just chuckled, wiping his mouth. “Vampires have higher metabolisms . . . we need more energy to survive, and we burn off sugars and crabs way faster than humans.”

   “You mean . . . I can eat whatever I want and not get fat?”

   He nodded at me, shoving the giant spoon into his mouth again.

   Oh. My. God.

Twenty-eight donuts later . . .

   I patted my stomach with a contented sigh as I sprawled out on the floor because sitting up was just not an option for me. Though I was feeling at ease with the two and a half boxes of donuts I had just consumed. Nichkhun and Taecyeon walked into the kitchen and stared at me.

   “Are you ready to go yet?” Taec stepped over me and grabbed a bowl for cereal.

   I shook my head, remembering about school and just decided that it would be a good idea to just ditch today. “Leave me alone~ I’m too deep in donut heaven to move.”

   Nichkhun snorted and simply moved his hand, as if he was a puppeteer, and then my body was moving. It was freaky weird. I stood up – against my own will – and walked to the kitchen door. “Yah, I swear once you let go of me, I’m attacking you! I’ll bite your neck! I’ll all your pretty boy blood and we’ll see how you like to play tricks then!!” I yelled and tried to resist the hold Nichkhun had on me but he simply forced me down the hallway and up the stairs.

   By the time I ‘walked’ to my bedroom, I just sighed and gave up, decided to get dressed for school anyway. 

 

   The new school in Seoul was almost as bad as the one in Busan. There was the basketball team and the cheerleaders, taking up all the good seats in the cafeteria with all their popular friends. There were the freaks and the geeks and the emo kids and the normal guys and the weird guys and the people that didn’t even have names (well I’m sure they had names, but not even the teachers knew them).

   The one thing that was different, was that from the second I jumped out of Taecyeon’s huge as Jeep with Nichkhun, the moment the three of us walked into the school looking like a scene from a movie, the moment we found our lockers that were all next to each other’s this time . . . everyone was absolutely fascinated by us.

   I’m sure it was another one of Khun’s spells, but I actually kinda liked it.

   Taec just shrugged as if it was nothing, and then went to chase after some chicks, while Nichkhun looked over at me, he didn’t seem to notice the people staring at us. “You’re not in any classes with me and Taec, since you’re still a junior,” he actually seemed a little sad about this. “But I’ll meet you at lunch~” All the sadness faded and he winked, disappearing to his first class before the bell rang.

   I made it almost until lunch without having one of those irritating headaches. The worst part is that it was in the middle of chemistry class and because I was the ‘cool new guy’, the popular girl n the class demanded that I be partnered with her. I glanced at the clock when I felt the first wave of spasming pain rush through my head. There was only fifteen minutes left of this class . . . I could make it fifteen minutes . . . I totally could . . . I would wait and then I’d find Nichkhun and have him do that ache-be-gone move on my head again . . . I suddenly felt a scratch on the inside of my brain and couldn’t contain my wince this time.

   My partner – I forgot her name – looked at me with some generic concern in her eyes. “Oppa, are you okay?” She placed her hand on my arm. She was soooo barking up the wrong tree.

   “I’m fine.” I inhaled, catching a whiff of her scent. A shiver ran through my body as the headache seemed to ease up a bit. The girl pressed closer to me, rubbing my back comfortingly . . . well, she thought it was comforting, but the only thing I could think of was the feel of her pulse meeting up against the fleshy wall of my back. She leaned in closer just as I turned to look at her and I was met with the warm, pink skin of her neck and soft jaw.

   “Are you sure? You’ve been staring at the table for five minutes now . . .” A soft smirk curved her lips and she leaned in closer, resting her warm and slender arm on my shoulder. “Am I making you nervous?” she chuckled, completely full of herself. “You’re so cute Wooyoung oppa~”

   I found her aegyo atrocious, and even more the fact that I knew she was a since there were several other male scents lingering on her body and in her clothes. But the smell of her was unbearable, it just smelled so ing delicious. I mean, the other human’s smelled good too, but she was . . . different.

   She stared at me and I stared back, my lips as I found myself leaning a little closer. The teacher was reading from a book and not noticing us, so it was fine. She caught on to what I was doing, or so she thought, and leaned in as well. Her lips puckered just the slightest bit and she closed her eyes.

   And just like that, I hadn’t realized what I had done until I heard a few gasps from some of the other students.

   “Mr. Jang, unhand that girl at once!” The teacher yelled and my eyes flew open, in that second I realized that I had attached my mouth to the girl’s neck and was drinking her blood. None of the students dared to move but the teacher was furious when I didn’t comply, but I couldn’t. I continued to her blood and let the warmth fill my stomach with the sweet rich nectar until the headache was completely gone. “Mr. Jang, I don’t have time for your little make out session, do you want to get suspended on your first day?!” The teacher roared.

   I loosened my grip on the girl and let her go.

   The screaming started when her lifeless body fell to the floor and everyone could see the blood that trickled down my chin, staining my lips. The teacher soon realized that I wasn’t her neck in a very different way. My eyes roamed the entire class and everyone cowered away from me the second my gaze passed them, someone fled for the door and I blinked.

   “No!” I ran to stop him, reaching the door a good two seconds before he even got there. I held up my hands, shushing everyone – or trying to but I was now faced with a class full of scared students, some of them crying, and most looking at me disgusted and fearful.

   One brave student, a jock or course, growled and lunged at me angrily. I caught him in the air and sank my teeth into his neck and everyone started screaming again. I rolled my eyes and dropped the second body to the floor, screaming at everyone. “SHUT UP! Okay, just SHUT. UP. I’m not going to HURT you!” I realized that my words contradicted my previous actions but hey, that guy was trying to attack me . . . for killing our classmate. “Nobody make a sound . . . or you’re dead.”

   Everyone looked at me in fear, but no one dared to make a sound.

 

I heard the sound of the classroom doorknob opening and I snapped my head towards it, narrowing my eyes with a growl. I could have sworn I locked that. But when the door opened, I felt only a slight relief that it was Nichkhun.

   But the second he saw the entire class lined up against the wall on the floor, most of the girls crying, and the guys simply refusing to look at me, he raised an eyebrow. Before the words came out of his mouth, he caught sight of the two bodies and then understanding masked his surprised expression.

   Almost with a sigh of disappointment, he facepalmed. “Wooyoung-ah . . .”

   “I didn’t mean it!” I defended myself.

   Nichkhun sighed and gave all the students an apologetic glance before looking back at me. “Go to the cafeteria and tell Taecyeon to wait for me in the car . . . I’ll be there in five minutes.”

   I nodded and made my way to the door but Khun stopped me. He looked at the blood stains on my shirt and waved his hand over them, making them disappear. He looked at me again and then let go, turning to the classroom of scared humans. I ran out of there as fast as I could, confident that Nichkhun was going to erase their memories or something. I had a feeling that we wouldn’t be coming back to this school, and that was alright with me.

   , I ed up. I thought to myself as I went in search of Taec. 

 

to be cont.