Chapter One

What's the Point of Living?

 "WAKE UP, CHLOE," my baby sister, Eva, shouted outside of my door. My eyes were still unable to open and it feels like someone glued it shut. I slowly got out of bed, but left my eyes sealed. I strolled to the bathroom that was connected to my bedroom and used my hands to feel my way there. Along the way, I tripped over my backpack and left me sprawling on the bathroom tiles. I lifted myself up and washed my face. The contact of icy cold water jolted me awake and I continued along to brush my teeth. Still groggy, I squinted to look at the alarm clock. It's 7:20 and I have 40 minutes until school starts. I raced to my closet that was lacking of any fashionable clothes and threw on a sweater and sweat pants since I have gym today.

"CHLOE. MAKE ME BREAKFAST ALREADY!" Eva shrieked. I opened the door and and saw my sister seated at my doorstep pouting and playing with Mikey's chew toy.

"It's about time you woke up," she sassed.

"Eva, you're six years old. You can get your own bowl and make cereal yourself and stop acting such a diva in the morning," I yelled.  Eva mimicked me and stuck out her tongue. She sashayed downstairs and ate her favorite cereal on the kitchen counter. I went across the hall and lightly knocked on my mother's bedroom door. I slowly turned the doorknob and peered through the crack. There she was, sitting on my father's rocking chair and staring at the window.

"Good Morning, Mom." She didn't answer back and continued to look far ahead outside the window. 

"You want breakfast? I can make you some toast," I offered. She shook her head ever so slightly and continued to look beyond.

"Alright, but you have to feed yourself. You can't just sit here all the time," I said and my mom sensed the frustration in my tone. She turned to me and I immediately could tell that she was about to cry. I ran over to my mother and embraced her in my arms as if she was the child in the family.

"I know Dad is not here anymore, but you have to stay strong. I don't think he wants to see you looking like this." I patted her back and I left. As I closed the door behind me, I bawled and couldn't stand seeing my mom like this. I wiped my eyes with the sleeves of my sweater and walked downstairs where my sister was bothering our dog.

"What's the matter? Why are your eyes puffy and red? Were you crying?" she asked.

"It's nothing. Probably just allergies," I lied to my little sister. She looked at me some more, but directed her attention back to Mikey. I saw the milk spills Eva made on the counter and I let out a sigh. I ripped a sheet of paper towel and wiped the mess up.

"C'mon, Eva. If we don't get a move on, we going to be late for school," I urged. She crawled toward the table and got her book bag.

"Aren't you gonna eat breakfast?" she questioned after realizing that I didn't get anything down my stomach.

"I'm not hungry. Let's go." In fact, I was actually starving. But, I had no mood in making breakfast nor eating anyway. 

"Ok. Bye Mikey. See you later." She ruffled the dog's head and waved goodbye. As a farewell, Mikey barks back every time we leave the house. I held my sister's hand and we trudged down the blocks to school.