End

Rainbow Promise

 

The cotton candy like clouds filled the darkening sky. It’s substance of watery fluid had already washed over the city for an hour and was just starting to wear off when a young boy stepped up to her, “noona, don’t worry. The rainbow will make you happy again.” she found herself slightly taken aback by the sentence and wondered what’d given her away. Though, the girl shook those thoughts away when taking notice of the soaked clothes she was wearing. The rain though, wasn’t the cause of her saddened expression.

In fact, rain was probably her favorite weather. It erased the dirt and filled the world with new, growing life. However, there was one thing it couldn’t get rid off. The memories. They were too deeply rooted for the liquid to wash away. Not that she would’ve had it any other way. The thought of not being able to remember him was, if possible, even more painful.

“Noona here, take this.” on instinct did she extend her hands. It was one of those simple movements that were imprinted in the bone marrow. In other terms, the result of years training, as it was a sign of respect.

She was slightly hesitant as she carefully grasped onto the umbrella and let her fingers wrap around the handle. The plastic felt warm pressing against her cold skin, and she could almost sense the smile that was about to spread on her lips. “Than -.” the sound of pattering rain interrupted and the girl raised her head, but the boy was already gone. Confused she let her eyes wander.

“The rainbow will make you happy again.”

It hadn’t been louder than a mere whisper and she spun around in haste, believing that the boy was simply fooling around. The only thing that greeted her though, was a huge tree with dangling leaves that threatened to break off and follow with the wind to a new settling. “The umbrella, you forgo -.” she cut herself short as the sentence he’d used sparked old memories to life.

“Yixing?” his name hadn’t slipped from her lips in so, so many years. Not after he’d move to China and left her behind. Unconsciously did her eyes fall upon the clouds above, they were slowly retreating and welcoming the aftermath of the pouring rainfall. “Wait and I’ll come when the rainbow guides me to you.” she had, despite the foolish promise, kept it. The girl hadn’t let any other boy enter her life in hope that he, one day, would return to her side.

The sight of a colorful rainbow dancing between the clouds and illuminating the gray evening in a dazzling manner lit some hope within the said girl, especially when she noticed that the end was slowly descending before her very own eyes. “I’ll come when the rainbow guides me to you.” the boy’s voice echoed as the end inched closer and landed just at her feets.

The day that she’d dreamed of had finally arrived.

“Eun Yi.” the umbrella slid out of her hand and she glanced in the direction of the voice, only to feel her eyes widen upon the sight.