Lost Kitten- Part 2

The Sky of Love - HIATUS

 

“Jiyoeng ah, do you want a cute little kitten?... yes... what? A dog?... omo, really?… I see… no, it’s ok… sorry for disturbing. I’ll see you tomorrow.” IU ended her phone conversation. She let out a heavy sighed.

“Aish… I know Jiyoeng is not the type that takes care of pets, but I can’t believe her father just bought her a dog. Moreover, a dog that bites everything it can find. No wonder her shoes was in a mess this morning” IU was half taking to herself and she tapped on her cellphone again, to call another contact. It was the 25th call that she had made to her friends. IU had decided to find a home for the little kitten that Ren picked up. So, she’s trying to ask her friends if there’s anyone who would be willing to take in the kitten. But so far, still no luck

 

Ren was the kitten’s back gently as he watched IU who was still concentrating on her cellphone. The kitten was pretty (… to Ren all kitten are pretty). It has a pair of wide blue eyes, pale pink nose and it has white based but has a few big black and brown spots on its body and a brown spot covered its left eye.  It’s a girl, IU told Ren. It’s still young, it’s only as big as both of IU’s palms all together. The kitten was awake now, but it closed its eyes in delight as it felt Ren’s gentle touch. Ren didn’t realized when IU has come near him, he only realized when IU’s hand reached the kitten on his lap. it gently and somehow touched Ren’s hand a bit. He quickly withdraws his hands away but IU didn’t seem to notice that.

“I wish I can take in this pretty kitten.” IU said after the long silence. “But my big brother is allergic to cats. We never had a cat because of him.” IU pouted.

 

Ren was running back home after the school when he heard a cat’s meow and he found the kitten under a box near a trash can. The cat was hungry and cold because of the chilly strong winds that indicate rain about to come. Ren pity the kitten, so he fed it some curry bread that he got from Baekho before. He knew he can’t bring the kitten home because he’s grandma is serious asthmatic patient that doctor advised her not to be near any furry animals as it can make her condition worse or can even threaten her life because she’s already old. So, it’s impossible for Ren to keep a kitten at his home but as he watched the kitten, he felt attached to it. Moreover, it was going to rain. This kitten will die out of cold, Ren thought. So, he decided to stay with the kitten… but he didn’t plan to stay how long.

 

“Do you any friends that might want to keep a cat?” IU suddenly asked Ren a question that made Ren flustered.

Friends? Ren doesn’t have friends. He only has a friend; Baekho and Baekho hates cats the most. It was because Baekho had a bad memory with cat. Bad enough that he swore he won’t go near cats ever again.

“Baekho hates cats” Ren answered softly.

“Others?”

Ren shakes his head. IU wondered whether Ren means he doesn’t have any other friends or his other friends also don’t like cats.

“I don’t have other friends” Ren admit, not looking at IU. He’s afraid to see what kind of expression IU has right now. Yep, I’m a lonely weirdo, Ren told himself silently.

“So, I’m your first girlfriend?”

Surprised by the question, Ren turned to IU. IU was looking at him with a big smile on her face and Ren felt his heart rates get higher and he feel his face has gotten a bit warmer. Did she just say girlfriend?

“Because your only friend, Baekho is a boy. So, that makes me your first girl-friend, right?”

Ah… it’s girl-friend. Ren feel a bit down but he didn’t want to be obvious to IU, so he forced a smile and nodded.

“That’s great” IU grinned. “Give me your phone”

“Why?”

“We are friends, of course we need to exchange number.”

 *

*

“Ah… ” Ren suddenly stopped walking.

“Why, Ren?” IU asked as she saw Ren stopped walking. The rain has stopped. They decided to go to friends’ house to ask them directly whether they would like to take in this kitten. IU said, people will be more willing to help if they actually facing them directly. Following IU’s strategy, they departed to friends house and as they walked pass a Ramen shop, Ren remember that he does have someone that he know lives around here.

“I think I know someone who lives around here.” Ren told IU. IU looked a bit surprise, because Ren told her he only has a friend just now. Ren noticed that look. “He’s not really my friend. We only talked sometimes” Ren explained awkwardly but IU just grinned.

“Alright, let’s hurry then. Where’s his house? Our kitten already seems tired and wants to sleep in a comfortable bed quickly.” IU pointed out to the kitten that Ren was carrying under his blazer. It wasn’t sleeping as Ren could feel its small paws pressed on his chest occasionally and the tail was always wagging but it seemed very comfortable to be wrapped in Ren’s warmth.

 

“Is this the house?”

“I think so.” Ren actually was very sure that it was the right house. The boy who lives in the house had regularly made Ren to deliver his homework or notes or things that he always forgot to take back home with him from school even though he has best friend that could do all of that to him. But since his best friend is a repeat student, Ren doesn’t expect much.

“Is anyone home?” IU called. No one answered. IU called again, a few times. Then, there was some grumpy voice from the inside. A few moments later, the door was opened harshly.

“What do you want?” JR was wearing his worn out jeans and white singlet which showed his trained biceps was standing in front of the door. He looked a bit annoyed. IU bowed as greeting and JR who has his eyes fixed on IU didn’t realized Ren who was standing behind IU. He still glared at IU and Ren didn’t like it.

“Sunbaenim”  Ren called. JR saw Ren and his face automatically changed. If just now he was having that I’m-the –thug-who-want –to-beat –annoying- bastard-regardless –their- expression, now he’s expression more like a kid whom just got a birthday surprised.

“ Ren… “ His word hardly come out of his throat. He was too surprised to see Ren come to his house without him bullying Ren to do chores for him. And it has been awhile since Ren last come to his house because recently, Ren has found out that JR never meant all of his threatening to Ren. Thanks to his super idiot best friend; Aron who spilled everything to Ren… No… almost everything.

“Sunbaenim?” IU called but JR ignored her.

“Ren, why  you come here?” he realized he sounded surprised too much, so he tried to regain his composure, he added; “Do you miss me?” he laughed awkwardly to his own joke while the other two only looked at each other and then back to JR.

 “Sunbaenim..” Ren took out the kitten under his blazer, holding it out with both hands, and showed to JR.

“ARGHhh!!!!..” JR jumped into his house hiding himself behind the door. “What… why… what is that thing doing here?”

“We picked up a cat…”

“I… I hate cats!” JR shouted from the inside, only showing a part of his face. He looked terrified.

“But…” Ren was still trying to explain but he was cut off as IU tugged his arm. IU shook her head as she giggle a bit.  IU took the kitten from Ren’s hands and put it over her shoulder, while one hand was put over the kitten to secure the position.

“ Then, we’ll be going. Sorry for disturbing” IU bowed and Ren followed her as well even though he didn’t understand what happened.

“Wait…” JR tried to call, but his voice came out softly and IU and Ren were already leaving. From the doorway, JR saw IU and Ren walked away while talking to each other. IU had that big smile or her face, she didn’t scared of JR or felt down that they have just got rejected. She’s one positive chick, JR thought. But JR was a bit surprised as he watched Ren. Ren still has that blank expression on his face but JR thought he saw a light blush of pink color on his face. Ren was blushing. He never did… or at least JR never saw he did. JR felt something is stabbing his heart, he was hurt.

*

*

“ I don’t know sunbaenim is scared of cats. What kind of delinquent that scared of little kitten? ” Ren pouted (IU had explained to her) while he patted the kitten which is now sleeping in IU’s arms.

“I bet it’s his biggest secret ever” Both of them laughed.  

As they walked along the road to IU’s friends’ house, they saw two figures walking towards them; a boy and a girl. They were wearing their school uniforms and Ren thought those two figures were quite familiar to him. The two didn’t seem to notice Ren and IU. As they come closer, both Ren and IU recognized them (IU know almost everyone in the school).

“Suzy ah!” IU waved her hand towards Suzy who was walking with Aron. Ren thought he saw Suzy and Aron were holding hands but they quickly pulled their hands off when IU called Suzy.

IU was half running towards Suzy and Aron and Ren followed her behind. Aron greet IU and Ren with a simple hand gesture but Suzy didn’t seem to be comfortable with their presence. She kept on looking away, trying to hide her face even though she knew it wouldn’t work.

“Sunbaenim..” IU bowed to Aron. “ Why are you walking together?” IU asked the question to Suzy and it made Suzy agitated.

“No, we are not together!” her voice was a bit higher than the usual. “we… we are… we just…” she stammered.

“We just bump into each other along the way” Aron cut Suzy and Suzy looked at Aron for a moment before she quickly looked down, having that sad expression on her face.

“I see… “ IU the kitten in her arms gently and the kitten has woken up that it purred when IU did so. The kitten’s voice caught Suzy’s attention.  Her eyes become big as she stared at the kitten.

“Omo! So cute!” She suddenly shrieked and slapped her hands together. Her usual cold expression is gone. She was happy, clearly and excited. IU gave the kitten to Suzy as she saw her reaction. Suzy received it happily and hold the kitten close to her face. Ren was a bit shocked. It’s rare to see Suzy smiles.

“Is this your cat?” she scratched the behind the kitten’s ears and on the tummy which made it purred again. IU raised her eyebrows to Ren and grinned before she turned back to Suzy.

“Do you want it?”

*

*

“Beep… beep… beep…”

Ren just got out of the shower and heard his cellphone beeped, telling him he just received a message. What does Baekho want now?, Ren thought as he went over to check his cellphone.

 

Sleep well, you must be tired but today is so much fun X3
See you at school tomorrow (^__^)/

-IU-

 

Ren felt his face become warmer and his heart skipped a bit. It was a sort message, but he just can’t took off his eyes from the cellphone’s screen. He just got a message… from IU. And he smiled to himself for the whole night (before he fell asleep which is not long after that).

The kitten has been taken home safely by Suzy. Ren discovered many unexpected thing today. JR scared of cats, IU is a girl with high determination, Suzy totally adore cats and Suzy and Aron seem close…?   

 

 

***********************

 It was raining heavily outside and lighting struck regularly. Small Ren was alone at home and he was reading his new story book; bought by his mother for his birthday. Ren wasn’t afraid of the ligthning. Ren’s mum and father were still at work and Ren didn’t have any babysitter. His parents only hire a part time house maid who will do laundry and clean the house in the morning, prepare lunch for Ren in the afternoon and left dinner for Ren before she went home in the late afternoon. The little boy had used to stay at home alone until his parents home, usually around 8 o’clock at night. His mum told him as long as he kept away from sharp objects, stove, fire and didn’t open the door for anyone, he will be alright. That was what his mum thought.

Ren was busy comparing one picture in a page to another when someone opened his room’s door. Ren turned around and saw his father at the doorway.

“Papa, you are early today” Ren ran off the bed and hugged his father. His father stiffed a bit before he the little boy hair gently and lifted him.

“what were you doing, Ren?” he asked with a smile as he landed him on the bed.

“Reading book. The one that mama bought me” the boy cheerfully lifted up the book and showed it to his father. “Am I good boy, papa?” he grinned happily but his father didn’t answer him right away. Instead, he stared at the boy with strange look but the boy was busy showing the book that he didn’t notice anything.

“Ren, do you love papa?” his father grabbed Ren’s book from his hand slowly, making the boy looked at his father. The man dropped the book onto the floor and one of his hands reached for Ren’s face; holding the boy’s cheeks. He brought his face closer to the boy’s and the boy started to hear his father’s weird breathing’s sound.

“Papa?” the boy called, scared as he tried to draw himself away from his father but the man grabbed both of his shoulders.

 A lightning suddenly struck, and Ren was surprised not by the lightning but by his father who suddenly kissed Ren on the lips. It wasn’t a simple peck, it was a dirty vulgar kiss. The man inserted his tongue inside Ren’s small mouth and started twirling, tasting and exploring every inch of the boy’s mouth. The boy was very scared and tears rolling down his cheeks. He tried to push away, but his father squeezed the boy’s shoulder hard, hurting the boy and he cried in pain between the kiss. When the man satisfied with the boy’s lips, he moved straight away for the boy’s other body parts; ears, neck, arms, shoulders, s and tummy, , , nibbling… or rather biting them. The boy whimpered in the uncomfortable sensation and pain, begging the man he called ‘papa’ to stop his doing. But the man just won’t stop.  He has become like a different person. His usual gentle smile and his soothing touch were replaced by lustful expression and ruthless grips. The small boy can only let his tears flows and pray that it would stop soon.

It stopped but it was not that ‘soon’. When the man finally stopped, the rain was finally stated to cease and the boy was lying on the bed, exhausted from crying, struggling and pain. His face was soaked with tears, in fact he was still crying and his body covered in bruises and bite marks. The man watched the abused small figured on the kid’s bed for a moment silently. The boy was so scared that he didn’t dare to look at his father’s face to see what kind of expression he had at that time. But soon enough, the man moved closer to the boy. The boy tried to move away but his weak body won’t let him. The man’s hands reached the boy’s waist, grabbing the boy’s pants and took them off swiftly, leaving the boy on the bed. Then, the boy saw his father’s hands were on his own belt, taking them off and after that his slacks’ fly.      

 

Ren’s eyes were opened widely. It was dark. It was drizzles outside. He was breathing heavily and beads of sweats covered his forehead. Ren then found out that he was in his bedroom at his grandma’s house. He gets up into sitting position, trying to calm down himself and wipe his seats with his blanket.

It was a just a nightmare... If only it was ‘just a nightmare’. It was a piece of Ren’s childhood memory; a memory that he’s been trying to hide and forget all of this time. Ren brought his knees near to his chest, clutched them and rest his face between his knees.

 

Right after his father tried to took off his pants, Ren’s mother came home, saw everything that happened and saved Ren from getting abused furthermore by his father. But it was the start of Ren’s painful days. His family started to broke. Ren’s father and mother started to fight almost every day. They started to shout at each other and look at each other with hatred, eventually also give Ren the same look. His father started to be violent, he always hit Ren and his mother. Then, the father came home less compared to before; that he came home every day. As days go on, he stopped coming home at all. Ren’s mother was depressed and frustrated that she started to hurt small Ren. The painful days last for two year when both of Ren’s parents finally decided to divorce but none of them want to take in Ren. So, Ren was sent to his father’s mother to be taken care off. The day Ren was dropped off at his grandma’s house, it was the last time he saw or heard about both of his parents.

 

Ren, he was left like a kitten that was left in the rain. He was left without a word of goodbye, a smile, or even any regret. Leaving him like he’s not their child, not a person; like he’s only a kitten that they regret picking up. If they don’t love me, won’t they at least pity me? Even normal person would pity a lost kitten… like IU… like IU. Ren’s thought went to what happened during the evening. IU said she can’t take in the kitten because her brother is allergic to cats even though she really wants to take in that poor kitten. Ren felt his chest tighten and tears fell down his cheeks.  

  IU, if it was me, would you take me in?

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm really am a slow writer =(

Next chapter