The New Friend

Stupid Oppa, I Love You

 

Seohyun: 14 years old

Kyuhyun: 15 years old

 

Dear Journal,

 

Hi, my name is Seo Joohyun but I am also known as Seohyun, the name that was given to me by the same person who gave you to me. Do you know him? He is Kyuhyun-oppa. I am really happy that his parents did not anymore send oppa abroad. I am really glad that he is still here to attend my birthday party. You are really a pretty gift, don’t you know it?

 

Cuddles,

Your new owner, Seohyun.

 

This was what she was written four years ago in the journal that was given to her by Kyuhyun. Who knows that in a matter of two years, this journal was soon filled with Seohyun’s complaints of him. Almost all of Seohyun’s entries contained these phrases: “He is late again.” “He is with him again.” “He forgot again because of him.”

 

The “him” that Seohyun was consistently referring to was no other than the new friend that Kyuhyun met in their neighborhood two years ago. Ever since then, he was always hanging around him. He always prepare early for their meeting. On the other hand, when it comes to her, he always arrived late. Instead of apologizing, he goes on explaining his excuse and started talking about how exciting the latest video game that they played or how his review is for this game and so on. Then, he would rant about how this character is this and that, how the game should have a better interface, how he wanted to have a weapon like this and that, and how he would search for the cheats of the game the next time he played it and it all sounded gibberish to her.

 

How could he exchange her for a game with him?

 

And he was not even contented that he spent majority of his time with him. Everytime they meet he was always talking about him. Him. Him. It was his name that always came out whenever he opened his mouth. If she did not know him better, she would definitely conclude that they had mutual understanding for each other. She was just thankful that he did not go to the same school as theirs or else she would totally feel out of place and it would only make her feel like she was the third wheel.

 

Around this age, the effect of puberty and adolescence on the girls’ hormones made Seohyun emotionally unstable and moody so that when her bad day came and Kyuhyun has the unfortunate sense of timing, Kyuhyun usually ended up to be the victim of Seohyun’s fits. 

 

“That game was so terrific. I and-“

 

“Mention his name once more and I will chuck you out of the door.” Seohyun said ominously. She got tired of hearing tales about him throughout the day.

 

“As if you can,” he muttered under his breath. “As far as I know, you are too well-mannered-“

 

Before he could even finish his sentence, he already found himself face to face with the soft grassy ground underneath the treehouse. He was wrong and he discovered it the hard way. Who would have thought that she has an inner monster hidden beneath that demure personality?

 

“Pweh!” Kyuhyun spit out the few soil and dust that had gotten into his mouth. He propped himself using his arms and hoisted his body to stand up. “Why did you do that? I did not mention his name.” Kyuhyun said while wiping the dirt from his face.

“Because you did not believe me. You are underestimating me.” Seohyun said simply.

 

That was just one of those incidents.

 

 There was a time when Kyuhyun almost forgot that he promised to help her with her geometry assignment and with the sole reason that he did not notice how much time had passed because he was playing basketball with his newfound friend.

 

“Seohyun, I’m sorry really. Please forgive me.” Kyuhyun said with his palms rubbing against each other but Seohyun only scowled at him.

 

Dodge here and dodge there. That’s what all Kyuhyun did as Seohyun started throwing stuffs at him.

 

“Seohyunnie, I forgot the time. I’m sorry. Forgive me. I won’t do that again. I promise, please…” Kyuhyun said as he was busy avoiding the stuffs that Seohyun hurled at him.

 

“You always said that. How can you choose basketball over me? Go away. Just go away with your new friend, with that Choi-something.”

 

“It’s Choi-“

 

“Shut up, I don’t wanna hear his name!”

 

“Is Seohyunnie jealous?” he said teasingly and a stuff-toy landed straight to his face. “Ouch!”

 

“Suits you and FYI, I am not jealous. I don’t want to see your face. Just go away. I won’t help you with your literature essays anymore too!”

 

Soon the chaos upstairs caught the attention of Seohyun’s mother.

 

“Hey, what’s happening there?” When she reached the top of stairs she saw the random things scattered outside Seohyun’s room and Kyuhyun cowering at the corner with his hands shielding his face and head. The sight of them had her burst out laughing. “You looked like a couple fighting because the husband came home late last night and now the wife is determined to not let him in because of that.”

 

Seohyun and Kyuhyun both groaned. Seohyun the slammed the door closed.

 

“She’s not really into the mood now. It is better if you come back later or tomorrow.” Seohyun’s mom told Kyuhyun.

 

“Auntie, may I ask something? Does she have her red day today?” Kyuhyun asked in a low voice.

 

The door burst open and Seohyun came out and kicked Kyuhyun at every guy’s most vital point. “ERT!”

 

Kyuhyun whimpered in pain as he held his crotch. “That hurts!” he yelped.

 

“I know. Well you’re asking for it!” Seohyun yelled and then she closed the door at his face again.

 

“Well, you are really asking for it and… sorry for that.” Seohyun’s mom said nodding to the part where it hurts the most.

 

“How was she able to hear that?” Kyuhyun muttered under his breath, scratching his head as he walked downstairs with difficulty.

 

Today, it was her fourteenth birthday and he was late again just like her past two birthdays. Nothing changed really. She pulled out her journal from her drawer and started pouring all her emotions on that pen and paper.

 

Dear Journal,

 

Only a few minutes left before my fourteenth birthday party but my prince charming is not here yet. Maybe he is playing again with his loyal comrade and left his princess alone in the ball. That is why princess is not happy. I know this is the last page and my last entry should at least deserve to have beautiful memories.

 

Love,

The lonely princess Seohyun

 

She sighed and collapsed herself on her bed. She had been reminded several times by her parents that she should not be feeling this way or should be threatened that Kyuhyun had found a new friend.

 

“My dear, you will always hold a special place in Kyuhyun’s life. Do not think that his new friend will replace that place.” Her mother told her when she visited her in her room after her fits with Kyuhyun. “Come on, he had spent more than a decade of his life with you so it is just natural that he’ll be thrilled with a new company that is in the same league as him. You know, there are some things that boys cannot share or talk about around girls. There is also such thing as a ‘guy thing’. However, it does not mean that he will just take for granted all the years you have spent together.”

 

She tried to understand it but she still could not quite get used to it. On the other hand, he told her that he would not be late again. Most especially, this is her birthday. If he really treasured her and wanted to make up to her, he would not come late again, or worse, forget her birthday.

 

“Hyunnie! Why are you lying down? You will ruin your hair and your dress.” Seohyun immediately sat up while her mother quickly approached her and fixed her dress and tucked the loose strands of her hair back to the bun.

 

“Why does my princess look gloomy?” asked Hyejin as she lifted her daughter’s chin to face her. Seohyun smiled curtly in response.

 

“Has he arrived yet?” Seohyun asked.

 

“I am sure he will come like he always does.” Hyejin reassured her daughter.

 

“He is late again.” Seohyun muttered. “It’s my birthday.”

 

“Well, it’s better late than never. I am sure he has reasons.” Her mother replied. “Come on, let’s go down and wait for him there. Now you wear your tiara.” Her mother picked up the tiara on the top of her dresser and placed it securely on the top of her head. “Tada, you’re so pretty” she praised her daughter. She helped her up and guided her as she walked downstairs with the gown sweeping along.

 

Downstairs, the living room was transformed into a mini banquet hall to match this year’s birthday theme of princesses and prince. The chairs were all pushed to the sides to allow ample space for the dance floor.  Pink ribbons and laces were hanged on the walls. Pink roses were placed on tall vases and adorned every corner of the room. The guests kept coming and soon Seohyun could not get out of her position and she remained situated at the entrance welcoming the guests. The guests were all at awe at the sight of her. Her hair was neatly arranged to a bun, accentuated by the silver jeweled tiara on her head. She was wearing a pink off-shoulder ball gown fit for a princess. They all admired how she had grown into a sweet young lady. As a response, Seohyun expressed her thanks in all modesty. At the scraping sound of the gate, Seohyun would crane her neck to see if there was any presence of Cho Kyuhyun but there was not.

 

The house was already filled with guests and they were already singing birthday song for her but he still was not there. They were already surrounding her as they sang happily while she stood at the head of the table with an overcast expression. “Make a wish and blow your candles!” They cheered on to her. Seohyun forced a smile and closed her eyes.

 

“I wish when I opened my eyes and after I have blown my candles, I wish he will be here already.” She then bent down and blew her candles. However, wishful thinking often does not come true.

 

Where the heck is he?

--------------------

 

“Is she really that important to you spent the whole day tediously preparing for her gift?” the taller guy asked Kyuhyun.

 

“Fourteen years. Dude. Fourteen years.” Kyuhyun told him. “Of course, she matters to me.”

 

His friend snorted at him.

 

“Actually my life would have been easier if your internet connection did not bog down in the first place. I would not have to go from store to store to search for CD of meditation sounds, and then I would not have to rip the CD and transferred the contents to the mp3 player.” Kyuhyun retorted. “If only my computer was functioning…”

 

“Enough of your tirade.” His friend said. “May I just remind you that you are already soooo late for the birthday party.”

 

“Shoot! I still have to prepare my costume!” Kyuhyun said, hurrying outside the gift-wrapping shop.

 

“Kyu!” His friend ran after him bringing along him a box wrapped in pink. “You almost forgot your gift.”

 

“Thanks!” Kyuhyun grabbed the box and continued running away.

 

“Hey! How about the payment for the gift wrapper?” The left-out friend called out.

 

“Can you just put it on your tab? I’ll pay you next time. I promise.” Kyuhyun replied back. His friend was left dumbfounded. “Since when did we become friends?” he groaned.

------------------

 

Seohyun excused herself from the crowd and slumped down the stairs leading to the front garden. She placed her elbows on her knees and propped her face on her hands. “He will never ever come,” she scowled.

 

At that moment, the gate creaked open and the guy that she had been waiting for came in view. He fixed his red tunic as he catches his breath. “The party isn’t over yet, is t?” he huffed.

 

Seohyun shot a dagger look at him and looked the other way. “Hmph!” Obviously, he is late again and in the most important day of her life.

 

An idea came across Kyuhyun. He went down on one bended knee and lowered her head. “Your Highness, Princess Seohyun. I beg for your forgiveness.”

 

“You really deserve to be punished.” Seohyun said. “So I asked you to perform aegyo while saying happy birthday and your birthday wish to me.”  Seohyun watched with an impish smile at Kyuhyun’s shocked face. He was the one who often asks her to do that to earn favors from him but now it was backfiring at him. What else could he do? He was the one at fault.

 

“Cho Kyuhyun, what are you waiting for?” Seohyun demanded.

 

“How dare she not use honorifics at me?” Kyuhyun thought. “Tonight, she’s a princess.” Kyuhyun sighed and did a “flower-pot” aegyo. “Happy birthday, my princess! Please don’t give me that scowl. I wish you’ll smile. It will make you so much prettier.”

 

“Am I pretty?” Seohyun asked. Butterflies began to flutter in her stomach. She does not know why she felt thrilled because of it.

 

“Yes. Especially tonight, you are so pretty… Princess.” A tinge of pink flashed across Seohyun’s cheek. She was even caught off guard when Kyuhyun leaned closer to her face.

 

“W-what are you doing?” Seohyun asked as she leaned backward.

 

“Did you put a makeup on? I think the shade is a bit brighter.” He commented as he scrutinized her face from side to side.

 

“Oh this!” Seohyun placed her gloved hands on both sides of her cheek. She quickly skirted to the side put a distance Kyuhyun’s close proximity to her which made her feel so uncomfortably conscious.

 

“Haha, I-I think so,” she agreed nervously. Was she blushing now? She made a note to herself that at least she should be grateful to her makeup because it covered for her flaming tomato face now.

 

“Don’t worry you’re still pretty.” Kyuhyun said with a smile.

 

Pretty. He had said it three times already. “Please oppa, please stop saying it,” she prayed. Her spirit was soaring higher and higher and it took her high like she could actually fly.

 

He settled down beside her and handed her his gift. Seohyun received the pink square box and unwrapped it to reveal a tiny portable player complete with baby pink earphones.

 

“What is this?” Seohyun asked, surprised that he would give a gift as expensive like this. She could still remember her last year’s birthday when he almost forgot about it and he had to find an impromptu gift for her because he did not prepare any. He went into the extent of finding a flower vine and twisted it into a ring just to be able to give her a gift.

 

“Actually that is the reason I’m late. I have to look for the right CD and rip it, download all the songs there and transfer them all to the mp3 player.” Kyuhyun explained.

 

“That mp3 player consists of nature sounds and other soothing music. You’re scared of thunder right? Of course, I won’t always be there to calm you so I decided to give this mp3 player for you so that it will distract you from the scary sound.” Seohyun was touched at his thoughtfulness.  Kyuhyun paused before going on muttering something under his breath. “Plus it will help you calm when you have moody fits.”

 

“Did you say something?” Seohyun asked, obviously not able to catch his aside. “Nothing.” Kyuhyun said cheekily.

 

 “How are you able to buy this?” Seohyun asked curiously. She wondered if his allowance would allow him to buy this.

 

“I actually saved for a year for this. But school projects cut most of my budget for this gift so I have to find other way.” That revelation shocked Seohyun. “The reason I also was not able to spend more time with you is because I am working part time in a coffee shop with- with that guy.” Kyuhyun knew she did not like him talking about his other friend so he preferred not to say his name.

 

“We actually did not play basketball last time that I missed to tutor you at Geometry. I also did tutoring to earn extra money. Well, it was actually sudden but the opportunity is there and I am still short for the gift so I accepted it.  I wanted to keep it a surprise so I did not tell you the truth so that you won’t suspect anything,” he confessed. Seohyun felt guilty of all the things that she did to Kyuhyun. She felt guilty that she had thrown rubbish tantrums at him.

 

“Sorry,” she said, forming her trademark cute little pout.

 

“It’s okay.” He said as he patted her hair.

 

“Oppa, you’ll ruin my hair,” Seohyun said as she arranged the bun.

 

“Why did you not invite your friend?” Seohyun asked all of a sudden.

 

“Well, I thought you hated him so much you could kill him when you see him,” he replied.

 

“You’re exaggerating. What’s the name of your friend?”

 

“Choikang Changmin.”

 

------------------

 

Dear Journal,

 

Only a few minutes left before my fourteenth birthday party but my prince charming is not here yet. Maybe he is playing again with his loyal comrade and left his princess alone in the ball. That is why princess is not happy. I know this is the last page and my last entry should at least deserve to have beautiful memories.

 

Love,

The lonely princess Seohyun

 

Well, it is not too late to change my previous entry. Lonely princess is now happy. Kyu-oppa is so thoughtful. He gave me a very wonderful gift. I appreciate his effort. Completely prepared or not, he always try hard to give me a special gift. I mean, the flower vine ring last year isn’t that too bad. I even preserved it even if it’s all wilted. Now, I have this special mp3 player that is customized just for me…

 

PS. I finally knew his new friend’s name. Sooner or later, I will get to know him too. G’night and farewell.

 

Love,

Lonely princess no more, Seohyun

 

She placed her new mp3 player beside the transparent box which contained the flower vine ring that Kyuhyun had given her. She switched off her table lamp and dozed off to dream land.