Just A Friend?

Stupid Oppa, I Love You

 

Seohyun is 9.

Kyuhyun is 10.

 

I am your oppa, I have to protect you.

 

Seohyun still could not help but smile each time she remembered Kyuhyun said that line. True enough, her oppa stood by that. In school, he always stayed next to her not only guarding her but he also made sure that Seohyun never got lonely moment. He always ensures that Seohyun would have a smile in her face each day. Whenever she needed help in her studies, Kyuhyun was always there to the rescue knowing that he was just a whiteboard away. All that Seohyun needed to do was to write a message on her whiteboard and displayed it on the window in front of her study desk. Kyuhyun’s room was directly across hers and their windows were both facing each other so it was not really hard for Kyuhyun to notice her “Help Math” message plastered on the window. Sometimes there were just short messages for each other like Hi’s and Hello’s, you know, just sweet nothings.

 

However, their closeness was something that was misunderstood by some. Kyuhyun was a very smart child. He was at the top of his class. In addition to that he has good looks and at such a young age, everyone can see the handsome man that he could be in the future. Not to mention that he also had the best voice in the school’s choral group in which Seohyun was also a member. She was the pianist. Anyway, so that’s the reason why there were a lot of girls who has crush on him. In their eyes, Seohyun was an eyesore and they wanted to get rid of her so that they could have Kyuhyun to themselves. Of course, how could they have their moment with Kyuhyun if all the time, Seohyun was there beside him.

 

There’s only one solution: Make her stay away from him.

 

One day after the choir rehearsals, a group of girls rounded up around Seohyun. Seohyun liked to call this group, ‘Hyorin and her crew’. Obviously, it was led by Hyorin, the female soloist of the choral group who was so full of herself. Since she was the female soloist, she thought that it was right for her to end up with Kyuhyun. Anyway, the group was composed of Bora, Soyu, and Dasom.

 

“Hey, can you not stand on your own. All that Kyuhyun-oppa does is to follow you. You know what, you are just eating his time to mingle with other people. You are bothering him too much.” Hyorin said to you with her arms crossed.

 

“No it was not like that-“

 

“Or perhaps you are enjoying that, aren’t you? You get Kyuhyun-oppa’s full attention. You’re such a flirt!” She added.

 

“I’m not like that. We’re just friends. We grew up together. It is just like that -“

 

Seohyun did not finish her explanation. They did not want to listen anyway. The only thing they want was to scare her away. Bora did the honors of pushing Seohyun to the ground since Hyorin only did the verbal bullying, she let the others did the rest. This was followed by Soyu knocking the books out of her hands. Dasom cupped her face and told her, “So you better stay away from him, you understand?”

-------------------

 

Seohyun was walking along the corridor contemplating about what the mean girls told her when Kyuhyun suddenly appeared behind her. He walked briskly and caught up with her. He immediately threw his arms around her shoulders while Seohyun lowered her head to hide the sadness in her face.

 

“Seohyun-ah wait for me later, okay? I still have to see my coach for the Math Olympiad,” he said.

 

“Kyu-oppa, I will just go home on my own,” Seohyun replied.

 

“Are you sure? It’s already getting dark,” Kyuhyun asked.

 

“I can manage on my own. I’m not kindergarten anymore so just mind your own business.” Seohyun ran and never looked back leaving Kyuhyun dumbfounded. He knew there was a problem but he just did not know what it was. On the second thought, perhaps he already knew.

---------------------

 

It was already pitch dark and Seohyun already did not know where to go. It was the first time she went home alone. Poor eyesight plus a person without a sense of direction guarantees a lost person. She was alone but it seemed like misfortune accompanied her. What could get worse than being stuck in the middle of nowhere under a heavy pouring rain?

 

Big raindrops fell on her head and in a matter of minutes, she ended up soaking wet. She sought for shelter and fortunately, the goddess of luck took a pity on her. She found a wooden tree house in a nearby park. She ran to it and climbed up the rope ladder.

 

Out of the blue, a thunder roared and it scared the wits out of her. She slipped off and the rough surface of the tree’s trunk scraped her knee badly. The pain combined with fear had her feeling so helpless so she hugged her knees and wept. Until someone’s voice provided a glint of hope.

 

“Seohyun-ah! Where are you?!” Seohyun lifted her head and searched for the source of the sound.

 

“Oppa, I’m here!” Seohyun cried. She was sitting at one of the roots of the tree while keeping herself as close as possible to the trunk to shield her from the cold rain. Her whole body was shivering and she could not figure out if it was because of her fear of thunder or it was the chilly weather.

 

She closed her eyes and cried then she felt a pair of arms wrapping her tiny figure.

 

“I’m sorry, I should not let you go home alone.” He whispered as he rubbed her back.

 

“Oppa, I’m scared,” she sobbed, her hands tugging the sleeves of his wet jacket.  Just then, the sound of the thunder disturbed the rhythmic pitter-patter of rain. Seohyun pulled him in and she buried her face on his chest.

 

“I’m scared… I’m scared,” that was what she said repetitively as her body trembled.

 

“Okay, don’t worry. I’m here.” Kyuhyun reassured her soothingly. “Let’s go to up there first and let’s wait for the rain to stop.” He hoisted Seohyun up and that was when he noticed her bleeding knee.

 

“What happened to you?”

 

“I scratched myself on the tree.”

 

Kyuhyun took out his handkerchief and wrapped it around her wounded knee. With difficulty, he carried the injured Seohyun up the tree house.

 

“Why did you insist on going home alone? Did something happen?” Kyuhyun asked.

 

“Nothing.” Seohyun said shaking her head.  

 

“Be honest to me.” Kyuhyun cupped her face with both hands and let her face him and look directly to her eyes.

 

She again shook her head while avoiding his eyes. Another clap of thunder resounded in the place. Seohyun instinctively hugged Kyuhyun again.

 

“Oppa! The thunder!”

 

He eased back and took off his jacket. He placed it on her head and he covered her ears with his hands. She raised her eyes and gazed at him with fear reflected in her orbs. Kyuhyun did not question her further and he just embraced her while humming some songs just to distract her from the sound until the rain ceased.

 

By the time the rain had stopped, Seohyun already fell asleep. Kyuhyun carried her carefully on his back and held her arms tight in front of him.

 

“Why are they so mean? “I don’t want to part from oppa.” Seohyun mumbled in her sleep. “He is just a friend, right?

…Or is he?”

---------------------

 

Few days later….

 

The next thing Seohyun knew when she returned to school (she was absent for a while because she got sick), was the news spreading about how Kyuhyun confronted Hyorin and her crew. It was the first time that they saw him really angry because usually he was calm and composed.

 

“And do you know what Kyuhyun-sunbaenim said at the end? That was… I don’t know how to call it… DAEBAK! He rendered them speechless.”

 

“What did Kyu-oppa said?” Seohyun asked.

 

“Well, Hyorin tried to call him back and she said, ‘Kyuhyun-oppa’ and you know what Kyuhyun-sunbaenim answered. ‘I’m not your oppa, so don’t call me like that.’”

 

She’s not her oppa. Does it mean that I am the only one that can call her oppa. OMO, Joohyun, what the heck am I thinking? Why does my heart start beating again like this?