Begin

Last Angel

Ah Young sat bolt upright, breathing heavily. She looked around her, and let out a terrified scream.

Her bed wasn't the level of the floor. Instead it was elevated a bit. The sheets were cotton and not hand-sewn silk. The floor wasn't wood, let alone handmade. It was dull, rough concrete. The walls were bare and the windows were dirty. The room was cold and carried a sense of loneliness. Ah Young backed up against the wall, opposite the windows. Her heart was beating fast and her hands were shaking violently. 

"Where am I?! This isn't the palace...how did i get he-" She jumped. Outside, a noise echoed loudly. BEEP! BEEP!

She ran for the door, and picked up the skirt of her hanbok, making sure as not to drag it on the concrete. She looked around the building. Door to the left, door to the right... straight ahead was an even bigger room. More furniture elevated and tables and chairs. And was that a place to cook food? She strode over to the glass doors opposite the kitchen and pulled them open. A light breeze pushed back her hair as she stepped out onto the balcony, overlooking the city of Seoul. 

Instead of the moon that always brightened up the evening, there were lights all around, glowing and blinking at fast intervals. Ah Young gasped and peered over the balcony edge. Unlike Joseon, this was completely different. It wasn't quiet or solemn. You couldn't hear the crickets or the grass swaying. Instead, there were loud beeps and yelling off in the distance. And apart from that, the people down below, were all dressed in clothes so different from Ah Young's current fashion. Not one person was wearing a hanbok. Not one. She backed away from the balcony and turned away, heading for the front door. 

"Aigoo... What do I do?!" She pulled open the door and strode down the hall. A man holding a cigarette between his fingers got into an elevator and Ah Young, as curious as she was, followed. The doors closed and Ah Young gasped as the boxed room started to descend. She gripped the grimy railings, tightly, holding her breath and wincing. The man holding the cigarette snickered and walked out when the doors opened. Ah Young realized that this was the bottom floor and got out almost at once. She exited the rundown apartment building and walked out onto an alleyway leading to the busy streets. It was a lot to take in and the sight of all these tall buildings and large groups of people, was making her head ache. Ah Young wandered down the sidewalk and stopped every so often to gape at something in a shop. People kept snickering or giving her dirty looks as she passed them. A group of high school boys even stopped to whistle at her. She kept walking, thinking that these people were awfully strange and abnormal. 

She observed a group of people walking across the street and suddenly had the desire to get to the otherside as well. Ah Young proceeded, but was oblivious to the fact that moving vehicles were heading towards her. There was a series of loud honks and people yelling. Ah Young screamed and felt someone scoop her up into their arms. She got back to her feet and looked up. The man had a strongly defined jaw and slightly visible dimples even though he wasn't exactly smiling. He had light pink lips, a small bridged nose, dark double-lidded eyes, and tossled black hair. 

He scowled and put his hand on her shoulder. "Are you crazy? Do you wanna die?" He scratched his neck and caught his breath.

Ah Young flinched and looked away. "Aniyo..."

"You cross when it says to cross! You can't just walk infront of other cars!" He pulled her aside and sat her down on a nearby bench. "And why are you wearing a hanbok."

"I wouldn't know. I don't even know where I am." Ah Young brushed off her hanbok and crossed her arms. 

"Bwoh? What do you mean you don't know where you are? Are you crazy woman?! Did you drink too much soju?"

"Aniyo. Mister, please calm down. But where are all the horses? Where's the palace? Why are you dressed funny?" She buried her face in her hands and let out a sigh. 

"Horses? Palace? Are you messing with me or something?"

"No! You woundn't understand if I asked where my palace is. I'm the crown princess, Kim Ah Young." 

"Crown princess, no way."

"You insist I'm lying then?" 

"I just don't get it. You must be playing games or something. You're strange."

"And you don't think that this is all strange to me?" Ah Young yawned, her eyes almost closing and shivered slightly. 

"Do you have anywhere to go?" He asked, softly, this time. 

"I believe so. All I remember is waking up in this unsophisticated apartment and running out of there." Ah Young grimaced. "There were no silk beds. But before that, in Joseon... I was going out to the garden. But then I woke up here...."

"Joseon? Haha. You've got to be kidding me. That's 300 years ago." He ran his hand along the side of his cheek and chuckled. "So you're saying you're old?"

"Hey, watch it. I don't know why I'm here. I'd like to know, but I don't think I'll ever know." Ah Young shivered and got up off of the bench and started walking back from where she came from. 

"WAIT! Joseon girl!" He hopped up and chased after her. "Luckily this time, you knew when to cross! I'll walk you home."

"Fine." Ah Young huffed and headed off in the general direction of her apartment. She turned unto the dark alleyway in which she had proceeded from, prior to being rescued. 

"You live around here?" He stepped infront of her. "This is the the slums of seoul, it's not safe here@"

"Well isn't it just great the I, Crown Princess of Joseon, wake up in a rundown apartment in what you call the slums of Seoul. I didn't choose for this to happen. It just did. If I had it my way, I'd be back in the palace. You asked me where I live, so I'm taking you to the place in which I woke up." Ah Young pushed him aside and kept walking. 

"Hey, wait up! You shouldn't go any further, especially since it's darker now." He grabbed her wrist. "Plus, you're wearing a hanbok. You'll get attacked for sure. Come with me, we'll go to my place. I have an extra room there and I'll bring you back here tomorrow when its not so dark." 

He pulled her back towards the street and flagged down a taxi. He was exhausted but couldn't help himself from being amused as Ah Young was surprised by the fact that they were in a 'moving box'. 

"We're here." He paid the man the price of the faire and pulled Ah Young out. "This is it. My apartment's up two floors." 

Ah Young glanced up at the small, nicely built apartment and followed him. 

"You can sleep in here, by the way." He led her to a room across from the main entrance of his apartment. "Hopefully you wont wake up in the morning and panic. Please, if you wake up before I do, don't mess anything up."

She nodded and sat down on the bed, feeling the material of the sheets. "Not silk..." She whispered softly. 

He laughed and scratched the back of his neck again. "Well, anyways. I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Lee DongHae." He bowed, jokingly and smiled. "I think it's time for you to sleep, you've had an interesting day and so have I, Joseon girl."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AH! Thanks for all the comments and feedback. It feels nice to know that you all are anticipating the upcoming chapters as well as getting hooked on the otps ie. AhYoungxYoochun here! ^^ And yes, drama after drama!

Thanks to :

white_charm, youngminchoi, Heart_teanee, yunjae23, Jun_KOI_Mi, alexamoon21, Miss_Yoo, junie0406, TiaraL, madeleine, rabbit_03, trishababes21, crashingrose, ClaireDeHannah, nikki_, JinChan, vanillalate, AlwaysAnElf, angelaisabel 

for subscribing!!

I hope you all are enjoying this fic so far. It's really inspired by Rooftop Prince (obviously) and a Japanese Historical Drama that I love a lot, so it's getting there. Thanks for the support and of course to my lovely chingu, TiaraL for the poster! ^-^ Another thanks to my sister, itsRaeG, for helping me with the DongHae description. As some of you might know, I'm pretty much based around BigBang, DBSK, 2NE1, (YGENT in general), SHINee, Infinite, CNBlue, Korean Hip Hop.. etc... So I couldn't really do much with SuJu. I asked who would be a good outgoing, sweet but fun guy to apply to this story and she recommended DongHae. It's alright with me. I didn't want to put Big Bang in here basically because it's not my thing to mix up the groups and I'm already attempting that in one of my other fics. So, give your love to DongHae! Ne~ Thanks again and welcome to all my new readers. I've been quite busy lately with exams, so I just wanted to write before I forgot about this chapter. I came up with this in between my physics exam, so hopefully you enjoy it! 

and here's the new character... Lee DongHae \/

All my love, Megumi~