Sungjong

The Debt Collector's Secretary Slave

The first thing I see when I wake up is a very charismatic face staring at me with a very chilling look.

 

"Haejoo-sshi...I shouldn't be the one doing this," the face says. "I'm a busy man, and you promised to be competent."

 

Sleepily, I roll over on my stomach and rub my eyes. I stare confusedly at the smudged black streaks on my fingers. Didn't I wash the night before? I always do....

 

OH CRAP...IF I DIDN'T WASH MY MAKEUP OFF, THEN THAT MEANS I DIDN'T SET THE ALARM, WHICH MEANS I DIDN'T WAKE UP ON TIME...WHICH MEANS THAT IT WAS MASTER HOYA THAT HAD WOKEN ME UP!

 

My internal freak out distracts me from seeing that I have more company.

 

"She's so cute!" a chorus of voices chimes.

 

I take one look at the six smiling faces, throw a blanket over my head, and scream. Ugh, I think. The Infinite boys.

 

"Uh...maybe not so much," one of the voices says.

 

I start drifting back into unconsciousness until I feel someone sit on me.

 

"OW! Okay, okay!" I groan. "I'm getting up!"

 

I don't make eye contact with Hoya as I usher everyone out of my room so I could get ready. 

 

I guiltily wash my face and put on fresh makeup. I'm going to get fired at this rate, I think mournfully. 

 

I dig through my bag to look for professional looking clothes. The closest to professional in my wardrobe is a beige skirt with paint splatters dotting the material. Biting my lip, I set the skirt back into my bag and inch towards Master Hoya's room. Dare I ask him...?

 

I turn the doorknob and stumble into his office. He's typing away on his laptop, but he flicks his hand in my direction, so I drift closer.

 

"Master--uh, I mean, Hoya-sshi--I'm sorry to bother you with something so insignificant, but I...really don't have anything appropriately 'secretary' to wear." I bit my lip to stop myself from stuttering any further.

 

Master Hoya looks up for the briefest second, and then resumes typing furiously. After a moment or so of silence, he stops typing and hands me a notepad and a pen.

 

"What are your sizes?" 

 

My jaw drops open, and I instinctively cross my arms over my chest. Hoya suddenly coughs loudly and does that thing where he looks everywhere but me. 

 

"I mean so I can buy you clothes!" he blurts. Man, my boss is awkward.

 

My face twists into an expression of confusion. "Why would you buy me clothes?" I say. "I am the secretary, after all. Isn't that what secretaries do?"

 

Hoya blinks blankly. "Sorry, it's just been so long that I've had a secretary...."

 

I tilt my head, surveying his face. "I thought you said that your last secretary left recently. Isn't that why her stuff is in my office?" 

 

Hoya stays silent for a moment, and then he says, "She didn't really work much."

 

I give him a slight smirk, then stick out both hands with my palms open. "If I want to buy clothes, I'll have to have money, right?"

 

Hoya sighs and runs his hand through his hair. "I'm going to be frank, Haejoo-sshi. You are working here because of debt, which means you must have been irresponsible with your money. How do I know that you won't run off with mine?"

 

"What? But I wasn't even the one that got into debt, it was--" Hoya puts up a hand, cutting off my speech. I think about it for a second, realizing how suspicious I seem, especially since I'm a debtor in his eyes who is asking for more money. 

 

"Haejoo-sshi, I'll just send one of the boys with you," he says, his eyes straying back to his computer. 

 

He looks so into his work, I think. I wonder if he's ever had a life outside of debt collecting. I truly do.

 

I walk out of his office into the hallway, turning around to close the door behind me. When I swivel back around, a very bouncy looking Sungjong smiles within three inches of my face. 

 

"OH HOLY!" I restrain myself from throttling the kid. "DON'T SNEAK UP ON ME LIKE THAT!"

 

He grins angelically and sticks his arm around my shoulders. "Hoya-hyung called me up to take you shopping!" he shrieks. "I'M SO EXCITED. LET'S GO!"

 

Everything about him radiates ENERGY. He just bounces everywhere. By the time we arrive at the shopping mall in Seoul, I was exhausted from trying to keep up with his neverending monologue.

 

"So, how's Hoya-hyung been to you so far?" Sungjong asks happily as we bounce out of our fifth store.

 

I blow my fringe in frustration and bite my lip. "He's just so...cold...and silent. I really don't know how to approach him sometimes."

 

Sungjong pats my back comfortingly, giving me his trademark smile.

 

"Hoya's like that to everyone, but he's really just a softie," he says. "He let you in, didn't he? And Tiffany, too."

 

My eyebrow raises. "Tiffany? Was that his last secretary?" 

 

Sungjong nods and blinks prettily. "Yeah, but she didn't work much." That's exactly what Hoya had said!

 

"What do you mean, 'she didn't work much?'" I quote, determined to know something about this mystery girl.

 

"Well..." he stammered. "Uh, Hoya and Tiffany were kind of...you know...together and stuff. So that's why he came up with the whole, 'working off the debt' thing. It started with her."

 

Oh. So Master Hoya does have a heart.

 

"Why isn't she here now, if they were dating?" I ask, my curiosity kicking in. "Sorry for being so nosy, by the way."

 

"No, it's fine," Sungjong says. "I think they just kind of drifted apart, you know? But I'm pretty sure they fought before she left, since she was so angry she forgot all her stuff in her room. And that is very unlike Tiffany."

 

I start drawing a picture of Tiffany in my head. She's probably beautiful, and materialistic. Maybe she has a bubbly personality. Is that what Hoya liked about her? I'm so curious about Tiffany that I can't stop asking Sungjong questions.

 

"Look," Sungjong says, throwing his hands up. "No one really knows much about their relationship, especially because they weren't much of a public couple, you know? Er, Tiffany was, but Hoya obviously wasn't. All I know is that she was nice to us, and we all miss her."

 

I nod thoughtfully. I wonder if Master Hoya would be happy if I found her? If they still shared feelings...maybe he would be nicer to me and act like a real human being. 

 

I sneak a glance at Sungjong's face as he's blabbering on about something cutely. The entire Infinite crew (and maybe Hoya too) missed Tiffany. It would be way interesting to bring her back, I think mischievously. 

 

Sungjong, a few paces ahead of me, looks over his shoulder. "Coming?" he asks.

 

I smile and skip beside him, happy to take on my first project.