The Offer

The Debt Collector's Secretary Slave

 

Run run run run run run run

 

My heartbeat pounds in sync with the rhythm of my feet hitting the concrete. I’m not even wearing shoes, so every rock that I step on gets embedded in my heel. Behind me, I can hear the panting of the men, but as the former track captain of my high school team, I'm not easy to beat.

 

I can hear shouts from the seven debt collectors, and I freak out because they seem to be getting closer. A burst of sudden energy gets me running all the way to the end of a corner of the downhill street. Gasping for air, I skid on the cement sidewalk to turn, but a hand gripping the hood of my sweatshirt stops me.

 

OH. HOLY. COW. MOTHER, WHEREVER YOU ARE, PLEASE HELP!

 

I don't wait to turn and face my doom, and neither does my captor. My head turns as he twists me around by my shoulders. Gritting my teeth, I could only pray that they would give me a warning, like they did the last time they visited. But then again...the last time they caught me, my debt only added up to four hundred thousand dollars.

 

Lee Hoya's opaque eyes stare into mine. I gulp to calm my terrified, flittering heart and flinch even before he says anything. 

 

"Lee Haejoo...you know why we're here." His low voice sounds like a predatory growl.

 

"How much does it add up to now?" My voice is like a snowflake compared to his avalanche.

 

Hoya looks back at his right hand man, L, for the notebook he always carries around. L grumbles and throws open the satchel he always carried around and hands it to Hoya. 

 

"Why can't you carry this freaking bag?" L whines.

 

Hoya gives L an almost maternal look, but his attention snaps back to me. My heart starts stuttering again in fear for my life.

 

"It says here that you need to pay about...960,000 dollars." I choke on my surprise.

 

"WHAT? It was only four hundred thousand three months ago! I could only make four hundred thousand..." I rub my dark circles with the arm that Hoya wasn't gripping.

 

He shrugs with heavy shoulders and gives me a look of pity; the entire Infinite Debt Agency gives me pity looks. Sighing, Hoya gestures for me to sit down on the curb of the corner.

 

The night is cloudy and unclear; I can't ask the stars for any assistance. Hoya sees me staring at the stars and sighs again. My eyes flicker back to him.

 

"Guys, give me a moment. I need to talk to this woman alone," he says. 

 

The members look at each other in an odd way; they all looked smug.

 

"Okay, Hoya...you're the boss...we all trust you...and remember that we don't have many slots left...." 

 

L wheedles on and on until Hoya points at the top of the street.

 

"Go. I'm not kidding." His stern tone reminds me of a father...not like I'd know, though.

 

After all six members of the agency skip up to the top of the street, Hoya turns back to me. 

 

In the softest voice I think he could reach, he leans down and says, "I can give you three choices, Haejoo-sshi. You can pay your entire debt right now, run away until we catch you again, or...." He pauses, and I nod to make him continue.

 

"Or...you can join the Infinite Debt Agency to become my secretary."

 

I let the silence sit on both of us like a pregnant cow until he finally snaps.

 

"It's not a remaining offer! You can only chose now!" 

 

After a few minutes of thinking, I make a split decision. 

 

"Yes," I whisper.

 

"Excuse me?" Hoya asks politely.

 

"Yes. Yes. Yes!" I let my stress and tension release on my last word. 

 

I feel Hoya staring down at me, and it feels so weird...but oddly comforting.

 

Definitely comforting.