The Sunshine Boy

Through the Memory Lane

by watermelon

 

I would call him the ‘The Sunshine Boy’ because he has a bright smile and a warm heart.

“Hello. I am your senior and you guys can call me Chunji.” He introduced with a bright smile.

Sitting together with the other juniors, I clapped along with the rest. His name was etched in my mind and I would admit that he was really good looking. His tanned skin matched his defined features well and his smile captivated me the moment I scanned the crowd.

“Hi, my na-name is Jang Ha Eun.” I said nervously before sitting down.

That was our first encounter.

“Remember your groupings well, alright? Oh, and you guys are supposed to prepare a performance for the campfire night. Is that clear?” The in-charge gave out the instructions.

“Yes” Everyone choroused.

Looking at the board with my name scribbled under Chunji’s, I was squealing inside.

“Is this affinity?” I thought to myself with a smile.

“Group 3, gather over here!” The leader of my group called out.

I walked over after packing my things hurriedly.

“So… We will be doing a skit. I will do up the script and inform you guys the role you are playing during tomorrow’s meeting… If there is nothing else, you are dismissed. See you people tomorrow.” She said.

I nodded my head and left after peeping at Chunji for the last time. Smiling to myself once more, I skipped my way home.

The next day…

“Chunji will be the male lead and Ha Eun… You will be the female lead.” My leader announced as she handed out the script.

“Wh-what?!” I gasped.

“But I don’t know how to act. I… I… really can’t-” I tried refusing but was cut off.

“It’s alright. You don’t have many lines. Chunji will do most of the talking. You just have to briefly act out the actions planned.” She reassured.

“I am sorry but I don’t think I can do this. Can you or someone else do it instead?” I tried pushing the role but to no avail.

“Come on, it’s really simple… Okay, if there is nothing else, the roles are final.” The leader ended the conversation with finality.

I let out a soft sigh. Frankly, at that time I was really happy inside but deep down I was really nervous too. Flipping through the photocopied script, I looked at the last scene in shock.

“What the…? Kiss?!” I muttered.

“Leader!” I ran over to her frantically and pointed to the last scene.

“Oh, this! I wanted to make it more dramatic and fun so you two can kiss with a plastic sheet in between like what they always do in game shows.” She beamed.

“Ah… I can’t do it. I am serious. Can we scrap this part please? Please? If not, I will really have to pull out of my role already.” I begged.

From the corner of my eyes, I spotted Chunji laughing at me.

“Is this a joke?” I thought to myself as I saw the leader’s amused look.

“Okay, we will take out the final scene.” The leader agreed and laughed.

“Thank you!” I said with a relieved smile.

During that meeting, we didn’t manage to do a full rehearsal because everyone was busy famliarising themselves with their lines. For the next few meetings, I did not see Chunji. I was curious but I didn’t dare to ask.

“Is anyone absent?” I asked and looked around, pretending not to realize it’s Chunji.

“Chunji isn’t here because he is not free. He told me that he will practice his part well so it’s fine.” The leader said as she looked up from her work.

“Oh…” I nodded my head in understanding.

The camp was finally here. On the first day, we played some games in our individual groups. Particularly, I remembered an incident. One of my group mates was really tired during the run and he was panting heavily away. Then, I saw Chunji jog up to beside him. He then cheered him on loudly with a sincere smile which made me see him in a different light.

“You can do it! Keep going~!” He said to the boy who lifted his spirits and nodded with determination.

An unknown smile crawled up my face when I saw the scene.

“He is a really nice guy.” I thought to myself.

Soon, the performance day arrived. I was extremely nervous because we had not really practiced together before the actual thing. I felt my heart pounding hard in my ribcage when our group was called. Walking up to the huge campfire in the centre, I inhaled deeply. The skit began with the first scene. I assumed the role of the ‘Princess’ and only appeared at the scenes at the end.

“I really love you a lot!” Chunji shouted as he looked at me.

I feel my heart pound even harder at his words.

“I am sorry. But I am not interested in someone like you.” I said my lines and looked away in disgust.

Then, some guy appeared and assassinated me. I fell to the ground and ‘died’. Chunji ran towards me and dropped on his knees beside me.

“Oh! My Princess~ Don’t die!!!~” He shouted in despair.

I shut my eyes tighter and kept my face expressionless. With the applause from the audience, our skit came to an official end. Picking myself up from the ground, I smiled to Chunji who returned me a nice smile. That smile totally caused my heart to turn abnormal again. I felt my cheeks grow warmer and I wonder if it was due to the heat from the fire or because of him. The camp eventually came to an end and there was this simple prize giving session.

“So the best couple award goes to…” The prize-giver paused with a sheepish smile.

“There is such a thing?” I thought and giggled. It was my first camp then and I didn’t know that such an award was given out.

“Chunji and Jang Ha Eun!” She announced loudly.

“Chunji and… who?! Me?” I was shocked.

Some of the guys in the crowd whistled while the others cheered loudly.

“Come on out. Don’t be shy.” She gestured for me to come out from my seat.

I looked to Chunji who already made his way up to the front with an awkward smile. Embarrassed, I scrambled up to the front. Chunji received the prize on my behalf. Smiling shyly, we posed for the camera before us. After the shot was taken, I ran back to my seat as I felt my heart beat even faster and harder.

“Hey. Yours.” Chunji called out to me as he passed me the prize.

“Th-Thank you.” I stuttered slightly as I lowered my head.

After the camp ended, I returned home and started unpacking my bag. Looking at the couple prize, I smiled to myself like an idiot. Keeping it carefully away, I felt happy to be somewhat a recognized ‘couple’ with him. However, I knew better that the reason behind the prize was merely because we were the male and female leads for the skit performance. Nonetheless, I was still glad.

From that day onwards, I felt like I became somewhat like a stalker. Whenever I was free, I will go on my computer and check his blog. I was curious to know his recent life since we seldom contacted each other. There was a period when he stopped updating his blog. In school, as the seniors and juniors have different schedules, I stopped bumping into him as often already. Every day, I will look around in hope of seeing him. However, at the end of the day, I will face the same disappointment and go home. It was like an endless, useless and disappointing cycle. That morning, I told myself one thing.

“Jang Ha Eun, if you don’t see Chunji today… You will stop liking and forget about him completely.” I promised myself.

Nodding my head, I clenched my fists. Throughout the day, I was silently hoping he would appear so that I don’t have to fulfill my stupid promise. However, just like the other days, there was no sight of him around. The bell rang signifying the end of the day. Clutching onto my bag, I slowly began making my way out of school. For the last time, I scanned the crowd and prayed that he would miraculously appear.

It was then I spotted him. He was sitting with his friend on the stairs chatting away. At that moment, I felt really, really happy. It’s like waiting in the drought for the rain to fall and at the last second, a raindrop descended. A wide smile crept up my face as I looked at him some distance away.   

“I can continue liking him…” Was the first thing that crossed my mind. I felt utterly relieved at that time.

“Perhaps it’s god’s will?” I thought and giggled.

However, a few days later, I heard from the other seniors that Chunji got a girlfriend already.

“Aww~ I heard you got a girlfriend already.” One of the guy seniors teased.

“Why? You jealous?” Chunji chuckled.

All this while, I was eavesdropping on their conversation. At that instant, I felt my heart drop. The rumour was true that he got together with another girl. Eventually, like a phase of life, I passed the sad period and moved on. Chunji was my first high school crush and a really memorable one.

Four years later…

I was heading to the school gates with my girlfriends. Then, I spotted a familiar someone. He was walking beside another of my senior. Although he looked a little different now, I could still recognize him. I kept my gaze fixed on him as I walked in his direction. Then, he looked up and met eyes with me. I expected him to look away since he probably couldn’t recognize me after such a long time.

“Hello, Ha Eun.” He greeted with the same smile as before.

“He-Hello.” I replied with a small wave.

Brushing past each other, I was left in shock. Although the same smile didn’t trigger my heart to beat like how it did four years back, it warmed my heart. A small smile lit up my face as I recalled my first crush…