Spring

The Secluded Bench

Warning: This is the last chapter. Also, 'unignorable' is apparently not a word. So sorry. Not. Kiss my , OpenOffice, I'm using it anyway.

----------------------

 

Spring is my favorite season. Most complain about the rain, but I enjoy it. It washes away the stubborn snow that refuses to melt and balances out the sometimes unbearable heat.

 

Lately, I've been a little more than lonely. Occasionally a child's ball would find it's way through the trees and someone would come after it, but that was all. Those moments were my only interactions with humans for the last couple of years.

 

That winter evening on which Taemin had slept on me had been the last time I had seen him, roughly two years ago. I suspected that maybe one too many memories resided here for him, and so he avoided this place at all cost. Nonetheless, it saddened me. I missed his company.

 

I stretched, or at least as much as a stationary bench could, as the sun began touching the edge of the clearing. I had prepared myself for another day of complete solitude, but I had been pleasantly surprised at what had come instead.

 

For the first time in years, just after the sun rose on that cool spring morning, Taemin came lumbering through the trees. I noticed his odd choice of clothing: a pair of pajama pants, a baggy shirt, and socks. Why wasn't he wearing shoes? His appearance had changed slightly as well. He looked fitter, and his hair was a light brown color, mussed and tossled as if he had woken up only recently.

 

“Taemin, where are you taking me?” questioned his companion, who I hadn't noticed until then, in a soft voice. He was also dressed oddly, sporting a full-body pajama suit that resembled a tiger and he also wore no shoes.

 

This person, whom I had initially believed to be Minho because of the height similarities, had blonde hair with straight cut bangs and a slightly feminine face. I was almost convinced that he was a woman, but something told me otherwise. He was also very thin. I realized that I had never seen this person before.

 

“We're here already,” Taemin breathed, gaining strange looks from the newcomer. Taemin just shook his head, ignoring the looks, and approached me confidently. He sat on me, patting me almost affectionately so that the other person would sit. Hesitantly, he did.

 

“It's old and worn, but...” Taemin started. I realized that he was talking about me. I whimpered silently, a bit offended. Still, I listened curiously. “But it's always warm and quiet. A nice place to think. A nice place to escape to.”

 

I swelled with pride.

 

“Why'd you bring me here, Taemin? At seven in the morning no less?” Taemin's companion yawned, rubbing his eyes in what I would assume to be a cute manner, "You didn't let me put on clothes or shoes or anything, just started dragging me down the street."

 

The brunette smiled warmly, a hand caressing my armrest, “I don't know, really. I just woke up this morning and had a feeling.”

 

The unfamiliar person, who's warmth was almost overwhelming, laid down and rested his head on Taemin's lap. Another yawn escaped him.

 

“We were sleeping so nicely, too,” he whined as Taemin's fingers threaded through his thin blonde hair.

 

“Remember when you asked me where I went in my head? This is it,” Taemin explained. His friend, who I believe may have meant much more to him than that, grunted tiredly.

 

“But it's just a bench.”

 

That hurt.

 

“It's special to me. A special place.”

 

It was heartwarming. After a moment of silence, I had believed that the newcomer had fallen asleep. That is, until, he suddenly commented, “That's so weird. It is warm.”

 

Taemin nodded, brushing soft fingers against his companion's face, “I brought you here because-”

 

He froze suddenly, his voice breaking off. Curiously, his companion shifted in his lap so that he was staring up at the boy hovering above him, “Hm? What is it?”

 

“I brought you here because... because... I guess... I... kind of... love you..”

 

“What?” The words were laced with shocked, “You said you couldn't..."

 

“Shut up, I know what I said.”

 

The blonde grinned, “So say it again. Properly this time, and I'm your's forever. Forever, Taemin.

 

The words had held much more sincerity than any words I had ever heard. His eyes were filled with nothing but adoration for Taemin, who bit his lip almost uncertainly. The truth swarming in his companion's tired eyes was so blatant and unignorable. Taemin swallowed thickly, deciding whether or not to take the chance.

 

Finally, he gave in.

 

“I love you, Ren. I love you so much.”

 

“I love you, too, Taemin oppa,” Ren giggled playfully, lifting his body and bringing his lips centimeters before his beloved's, “You won't regret it. I promise to never hurt you. Ever.”

 

And finally their lips met.

 

----------------------

Probably not the ending you wanted/expected, right? Are you confused? Ren is not an OC, but a member of the new-ish idol boy group NU'EST, who I have fallen completely in love with in this short amount of time. Why did I choose this pairing? 1. Because NU'EST is a really good group, but they aren't mentioned as much as they deserve to be. 2. Ren is very pretty cute, but I guess in this fanfiction he was more like this (which is still cute). 3. Because it's different. I haven't seen TaeRen anywhere, so I guess you can say it's a real out-of-the-blue pairing. Not that I don't support 2min with EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING, but it's just such a common pairing that I had to break them up... Sorry, guys...

 

Anyway, this is the end. Thank you for putting up with me thus far. I hope to see you all soon! And I hope everyone supports NU'EST in the future as much as they do SHINee!