Winter

The Secluded Bench

 

Warning: I really wanted to update, but because it's my birthday I wasn't able to find enough motivation to write something good. My apologies.

----------------------

 

I don't like winter. The temperatures tend to drop too low and my metal ices over. That, as you might imagine, is one of the most uncomfortable feelings one can ever have.

 

It's around the time my metal ices over that blizzard season seeps in. Around these parts, where visits are scarce, the snow piles up until it's reached just below my seat. Snow settles freely on top of me with no regard for my emotions. I do have them, you know.

 

It was on one frozen, snowy evening that my first visitor in months had finally turned up. As you can imagine, I expected (and rightly so) that it would be at least one of the boys from before. I was right.

 

Taemin trudged through the snow towards me, cheeks the color of strawberry flesh. A thin, translucent layer of liquid was smeared around his face. I wondered, with the sincerest of concern, if my visitor had been crying.

 

Gloved hands moved over my surfaces, brushing snow to the ground. I shuddered slightly in delight, happy to be attended to. Really, the cold had become more and more unbearable with each passing day, and I gladly accepted Taemin's warm body heat.

 

He sat for awhile, staring listlessly into the trees. It wasn't long before tears welled up in his eyes and he furiously rubbed them away.

 

“A week before Christmas,” he muttered almost bitterly to no one in particular (and as far as he knew, no one was listening), “A week before Christmas and you-”

 

Whether it be the onslaught of wind or the new set of tears, the newly blonde male could not finish his sentence. He buried his face into his hands wept harder than anyone ever had. His sadness was so strong that I felt it sink into me.

 

The sky was changing, becoming darker by the moment. Taemin sat, hunched over, with his face in his hands for hours. His body rocked back and forth gently. Poor soul, trying to comfort himself. I only have my solitude to offer as consolation.

 

“Dummy,” he sobbed, “Stupid lying idiot.”

 

Yes, just let it out.

 

“You said-,” he hiccuped, “You said you'd still love me!”

 

Oh, no...

 

“You said we were stronger than that!”

 

He finally tipped over under all of his sorrows, laying across my lap.

 

“Well... well...” Taemin choked, adding bitterly, “Well, I hope you're happy with her!”

 

After awhile his sobs died down into even breaths, the puffs visible in the frigid air. I realized that he had fallen asleep. I tried my best to keep him warm through that frozen night.