Guardian Angel

NUMB3RS

Playlist:(CLICK) Brand New Day by Fireflight
 

Chapter 5

As soon as Beast had ended their schedule for the day, Junhyung rushed out of their dorm and went back to the restaurant. Somehow, that little girl in the restaurant had made a big impact on him. He felt more secure than ever before. To know that maybe that little girl also had the same ‘gift’ as him and maybe she could answer his questions. Maybe that’s why the little girl was always bothering him at the restaurant, maybe because she couldn’t see his numbers too.

“Hello, little girl? Anyone there…” Junhyung whispered to himself as he sat at the same spot in the restaurant whenever Beast was there. He then tapped his fingers on the table, as if waiting for something to happen.

Suddenly, he could hear giggles amidst the busy talking of the rest of the patrons there.

“Little girl…” he said it louder this time.

“Oppa!” The girl suddenly came running towards his table and sat opposite him. She smiled cutely and cupped both her tiny hands in front of , as if making a loudhailer, “I’ve been waiting for you…”

“Oh really…” Junhyung raised his eyebrow and took a sip of his drink, his eyes never leaving her, making sure that she doesn’t leave his sight.

“Uh huh,” the little girl nodded and smiled cutely again. She’s always smiling, so brightly and cheerfully.

“So… umm… what’s your name? I’m Junhyung.” He shook her tiny hands as she giggled even more when she mouthed his name to get it right.

“I’m Mi-na.”
Junhyung nodded and smiled genuinely. All right, she’s warming up to him. But maybe it was the other way round. Maybe he was warming up to her instead.

“So do you see these numbers?” Junhyung got straight to the point and pointed above people’s head and didn’t even care when they shot him irritated glances. He would even ruin his reputation just to get his questions answered. Mi-na nodded and smiled again, “I can see yours too!”

“… You can?” Junhyung asked in shocked. He didn’t expect her to see his either because he couldn’t see hers. Maybe she was more special or something. Anyways, he just wanted to know how they got these powers and how to rid of them if they could. He tried talking to her about the numbers again but she kept giving him the confused look and after an hour passed by, Junhyung gave up. This girl had even less knowledge about these numbers than him.

“Oppa, let’s go to the park,” She jumped down from her seat and tugged his sleeve. He didn’t want to go because he promised Beast that he’ll cook dinner for them that day and he didn’t want to disappoint s. But he felt as if this girl was hiding something from him, so he took this chance to go out and hang out with her until she tells him something he doesn’t know. It could all be worth it.
‘I’m sorry Doojoon,’ Junhyung mentally apologized to the Beast leader as he held Mi-na’s hand in his and walked together to the park.

+++

“Oppa let’s play there!” Mi-na pulled Junhyung towards the playground and ran towards it. Junhyung had no choice but to run after her. He couldn’t believe he was actually babysitting, instead of being in the kitchen cooking up something special. He just hoped Doojoon could cover him. ‘Junhyung, what have you gotten yourself into now?’

He sat on one of the benches, looking at his newfound friend having fun in her own little world. This girl, Mi-na, had something going on. He could just feel it. The vibe he was getting from her was definitely not a positive one, so why was he even making friends with her? She’s just a little girl, not more than 8 years old, but her huge eyes hold so much secrets, just waiting to be unleashed, and Junhyung wants to be the first one to know.
Mi-na was playing at the slides, going back up and sliding down over and over again. She played in the sand with the other kids, but she never bothered them, or even borrowed their things. She just used her own hands and wiped the sand off on her dress. Suddenly, she looked up and waved at Junhyung excitedly again. He waved back a little, trying to etch a smile. ‘Just be friendly. She’ll tell you what she knows soon enough.’ He tried comforting himself as he watched her play.

“Oppa… let’s go to the swings together!” Mi-na ran up to him and pulled his arm, dragging him towards the swings. He felt a little lazy, having to stand up again, so he told her to make friends instead.

“But the other kids won’t listen to me!” She pouted and stomped her foot. Then she smiled cheekily and pulled Junhyung’s hand again. “Come on Oppa, let’s just go to the swings!”

Junhyung gave up trying and finally went over to the swings, following Mi-na from behind. She looked back to make sure her new beloved Oppa was still there and grinned widely when they reached the swings.

“Push me!” Mi-na eagerly sat on the swings and held on tightly. Junhyung couldn’t do anything else but push her then. He pushed her gently at first and remembered the times when he used to play at the swings a lot.

“Higher!” Mi-na’s giggles filled the air as Junhyung pushed her harder, but he was still aware of her safety.

“Higher oppa… Higher!” But Junhyung won’t push harder, he knew she’d fall off if she had gone all the way up.
They had went all over the park, playing hide and seek for several hours already and it was getting darker. Junhyung could sense that the Beast members must have been waiting for him and he would get a scolding from Doojoon when he gets back home. He had purposely left his phone at home because he didn’t want anyone to know where he was, especially not with a little girl.

“Mi-na… I gotta go already,” He tried telling her as they walked hand-in-hand, watching the sunset together. She looked up at him with her big eyes again and whispered, “So soon?” He looked down at her and nodded.

“Can we meet at the restaurant again tomorrow?” Junhyung asked her. The moment she heard him asking that, Mi-na smiled as brightly as she could, “Of course!”

He dropped her off at the restaurant and smiled at the waitress who was waiting at the counter. Junhyung then left the place for home… without even getting his questions answered.

‘Maybe tomorrow.’