the show must go on

bad girl meets... sweet boy??

No one understands me at all and probably never will. When I walk around, all my classmates think is 'There's Danbi! We better hide or stay out of her way!' Hide from the big bad wolf which is me while all I can do is go along with their stories. Why should I care? The other kids at school never asked me if the rumors were true. All I know is that if life is a play, the show must go on... right? If no one's going to ask me about the truth instead of judging my appearance then what's the use of trying to reason with them? If life was a play, the show must go on... right?

I looked at the other kids around me at school. While everyone was talking to their friends, I had my own table to sit in. Things will probably stay this way till the end of school. It was a good thing, I wasn't upset, not really.

“Danbi...” A familiar voice called. I looked beside me to find that blonde mess of hair standing beside my chair staring at me with remorse. What did he want now? Whatever it was it wasn't my problem. I am Lee Danbi, Fire Queen of the school who didn't care for anyone but myself. I think. Turning back to my lunch, ignoring him completely while trying to blink out the tears that threatened to come out, I continued eating the rest of my lunch. 'Who was he?' How am I supposed to know? As far as I was concerned he was nothing to me.

After hearing a sigh, he left me... again. Hopefully forever now.

 

The classroom I was currently in at the time had eighteen tables with two chairs at each one making a total of thirty six chairs. I took my place at the far corner beside the window where my eyes would head to the sky from time to time. The was going to be any other regular day I had thought. Regular isolation from everyone else, regular reputation, regular everything. But it wasn't going to be any regular dayOut of all my classmates around me he was the one who chose to have an actual conversation in the middle of the year.

“Annyeong, I'm Youngmin and you are...?” Youngmin had greeted joyfully a few minutes before the start of class. His voice was filled with so much kindness it actually startled me at first. It was his first day since transferring from wherever he came from.

'Oh, he's new so he probably doesn't know how things work around here,' I thought at first. Opening my mouth I was about to reply before one of the other girls in our current class spirited him away from me. Probably thinking I was about to bite the boy or so something horrible to him. For a moment I stared after him where the female was probably trying to explain who I was through everyone else's eyes, somehow his eyes found mine and the sweet smile that vanished earlier appeared once more. I turned away and stared at the chalkboard behind the teacher.

Just then I heard a creak from the chair beside me. All at once the chatter stopped at the same time. I saw Youngmin's grinning face again beside me.

Months after that, the guy wouldn't leave me alone. Wherever I went, he went. Wherever I planned to go, he'd ask if he could come along. Of course I never replied but he somehow took it as a yes, and every time I planned to finally decline, his bug eyes would end up leaving me speechless before I would turn away and leave without a word with him following. The strange thing was, he was always trying to get me to do something kind. Such as helping him tie his shoe- I refused, studying tests together- I refused, or even just smiling.

 

It was one of the strangest things I've ever done. It was as if the show life was giving was giving me a gigantic technical difficulty. Still as always the show had to always go on. I refused to step even one way out of how everyone saw me. I was fine with just existing and not living was what I thought at the time.

I should have never smiled. Once he had me smiling, I wasn't able to stop. Even at the corniest, stupidest jokes he'd say I would giggle at them like one of the airheads at school. For a while I thought laughing wasn't in my system until he finally broke me through. During that time, I glared at him afterwards for how red his face was.

"Alright I'll stop laughing, gosh. Is it that bad that I'm laughing?" I had asked. He shook his head.

"No it's fine actually... I really like your laugh... and your smile."

"Well you might see it regularly between the two of us only though." I replied, still smiling.

'Click.'

"So I can always see you smiling even when you're not." Youngmin said softly, waving his camera phone around.

Out of everyone, I expected him to be the last one to ever do something to me that ruined my reputation.

 

The next day everyone was giving me a look, that they knew something I didn't. What did I do? Everything was pretty normal yesterday and the day before that. But it wasn't until I got to homeroom I saw a crowd gathering around Youngmin who had his phone out.

"Alright, you win Youngmin." said Jiyong, one of the people Youngmin hung out when we were in school, giving him a couple of won.

 

------------------------------------------------------

Hey! Hoped you liked it, I apoligize for the misspellings of things and whatnot. This will most likely end in the next chapter. 

To be honest it's my first short story ever kekeke ~ I used to try to write novel-length stories but they usually never work out... But II'm just taking a break from my current story. /lazy girl. But you should try to read it sometime haha. This is also the first time I've used Youngmin as a character in a story so if you didn't like the way I portrayed him, my bad. :P I came up with this out of my head obviously but I had no idea where it came from. This story is kind of a breather so I can take a tiny break from my current story: Ex Royal ; Wanted Criminal. 

Comments/Suggestions/Critiques are welcome and loved! <3

Later `yall! 

~~ Kimi