Surprise

Silence is Golden

 

   The first thing you did when Jinyoung released your blindfold was widen your eyes and take in a sharp breath. Your eyes zoomed from left to right and up and down, taking in the scene before you.

   Jinyoung had led you to what you recognized to be one of the higher levels of the mall’s parking lots, which was, as usual, deserted. However, the usually vast, empty space was definitely not empty tonight.

   Set up in a large rectangle which took up the middle of the parking lot were floating balloons, each attached to the floor by a lit up candle. The candles washed the entire parking lot with a warm, orange glow.

   Surrounding that rectangle of space, there were light posts, connected by colourful streamers and ribbons. They swayed gently in the light breeze, casting off flickering shadows. On the floor, leaning against the light post closest to you, was a white teddy bear the size of your torso. It had round googly eyes and was holding a pink heart.

   Sitting on a chair in the middle of the circle, bathed in the soft lighting from the candles, was Myungsoo. Leaning his elbows on his knees and holding a single rose, he grinned as you and Jinyoung came into view.

   You looked back and forth between him and Jinyoung, eyes wide and mouth agape. You weren’t even sure what you were feeling at the moment – there were so many emotions flying around inside of you that you were just stunned.

   “Y-you? What’s this for?” you stumbled out as Jinyoung lightly put a hand on your arm.

   “Come,” was all Jinyoung said as he gestured to the floor in front of you. You looked down and saw a path from you to Myungsoo, created with two huge lines of glitter. You let out a laugh just imagining either of them decorating the place up.

   Looking at Jinyoung with warm eyes, you allowed him to take your arm and you followed him as he led you slowly forwards. Your eyes followed the trails of glitter – it looked as though a rainbow unicorn had come along and puked on the parking lot. It was all so cheesy and cliché – what was this even for?

   Yet you could feel tears prickling at the back of your eyes.

   Myungsoo got off the chair and spun it in your direction, laying it down just a little off to the side. You stared questioningly back and forth at both males as you sat down comfortably. There was silence, yet it wasn’t awkward at all. It was a soothing, curious silence, warm and peaceful.

   “We’ve been idiots,” Jinyoung stepped back until he was aligned with Myungsoo.

   “We’ve constantly been bickering like children,” Myungsoo nodded.

   “And we haven’t even been thinking of your feelings at all.” Jinyoung finished his sentence.

   “We didn’t think that perhaps, you didn’t feel the same towards either of us,” Myungsoo winced.

   Your heart pounded so loudly you swore you could hear it. Because although you weren’t vain enough to fully voice out the little suspicions that had been nagging at the back of your head, they had definitely been there. You didn’t want to jump to any random conclusions, afraid that you’d be way off the mark. Yet, in this moment…a daunting realization occurred…

   They liked you.

   Myungsoo still had feelings for you.

   Jinyoung had somehow developed feelings for you.

   “But we know now,” Jinyoung bit his lip.

   “That feelings can’t be forced.” Myungsoo stared at his feet.

   “And it doesn’t matter anymore.” Jinyoung finished.

   They finished each others’ sentences so smoothly that you had no doubt that they had rehearsed this many times before. How had they managed to cooperate so nicely when just the day before, they had been completely annoying twats? Realizing the amount of effort that they put into this simple apology – the bear, the ribbons, the candles, the balloons – tears threatened to fall. They were blowing this completely out of proportion, so what was this emotional train wreck that you were feeling inside?

   Before you could even start thinking of possible words to say, Jinyoung jogged off to the other corner and came back with what looked like a radio.

   You sniffled, looking up to make sure tears didn’t spill over, and suddenly heard the familiar soundtrack of Super Junior.

   Looking back at you, Myungsoo and Jinyoung backed up, watching each others’ bodies carefully…

   And began dancing.

   Your mouth popped open with both amusement and shock. They were dancing to Sorry Sorry. It had been a long time since you last saw Myungsoo dance, but he was definitely not rusty at all. You stared at his smooth, fluid movements, graceful and familiar even after all this time. You had never seen Jinyoung dance, but you could immediately see that his style matched Myungsoo’s perfectly. Jinyoung’s movements were also fluid, relaxed and somewhat lazy-like.

   As you watched, you saw Myungsoo trip up, causing them to go out of sync, but Jinyoung simply sped up a little to match them up again. You barely noticed the large grin that had spread out on your face because you were too busy being amazed.

   Finishing up the first chorus, the two boys ended with a flourish, taking a deep bow and coming back up slightly breathless. You gave them a standing ovation, your applause echoing into the night.

   “WOO!” you cheered happily. “That was amazing, how long did you guys even practice for?”

   They both simply let out relieved laughs, Myungsoo leaning his elbow on Jinyoung’s shoulder. They exchanged grins, because they had succeeded in making you laugh again. However, they both knew that the hard part was to come.

   “You first?” Jinyoung nudged Myungsoo. Myungsoo cleared his throat, suddenly flustered, and you looked on curiously as your question was completely ignored.

   “I’ll be…over there,” Jinyoung pointed off to the far side of the parking lot, where he wouldn’t be able to hear you if you spoke quietly.

   “Wait – why? Where’re you going?” you asked, but he only gave you a sad smile and walked away.

   Myungsoo tugged on your arm, drawing your attention back to him. “He’s giving us some time to talk,” he murmured, looking into your eyes.

   You stared back, unable to look away. He sat down on the floor, and you sat down across from him, crossing your legs. Surrounded by candles and streamers, it felt a lot like a date. Except, when you turned around, you could see Jinyoung’s back – he was leaning against the rail, looking out at the city lights.

   “Okay, let’s talk,” you smiled gently, showing that you were open.

---

   Myungsoo stared at you silently, trying to word his thoughts. There were so many things going on through his head – and he knew what he had to say, but that didn’t mean he wanted to say it.

   “I should just say it, huh?” he said after a long moment of silence.

   You bit your lip, but nodded. “You were always a straight forward kind of guy,” you smiled.

   Myungsoo stared at the floor, fiddling with his shoelaces for a moment. He took a deep breath before looking at you again. “Are we friends?”

   “Of course,” you replied, eyes widening.

   “Even after…what happened?”

   “Yes,” you nodded firmly, knowing that he was referring to the harsh break up.

   “Will we stay friends?”

   You could see the insecurity – the fear, the hope – all in his eyes. “Yes,” you breathed, “Why wouldn’t we?”

   He smiled gratefully, leaned over a tiny bit and grabbed hold of your hand. “Then take this,” he spread your palm and dropped something into it. Closing your hand into a fist firmly over it, he sat back and looked at you, expectant.

   You slowly looked down at your palm, and saw a necklace. The necklace.

*Flashback*

  “Open,” he commanded, and I obeyed. I flinched at the chain dangling before my eyes, before realizing that it was a chain to a necklace.

  “Oh, my God,” I whispered. We both stood up from the bed as I stared in awe.  There were two necklaces connected together, making a heart. The two halves were connected by a tiny magnetic latch. “It’s so beautiful.”

   “Like you,” Myungsoo murmured, nuzzling his face into my hair. He took the necklaces apart, placing one on the bed. “One for you, and one for me,” he said quietly. We both fell silent as I held up my hair and he put the necklace on for me, his hands lingering on my shoulders.

   “It’s so pretty,” I commented, letting my hair down and feeling the smooth surface. “This looks so expensive – are you sure?”

   “I’m sure. You complete me,” he said cheesily. Knocking his forehead against mine, a blissful smile spread itself on both of our faces. “Two halves of a whole.”

 */end*

   You weren’t even sure how you felt, seeing the necklace again. Mostly confused. “But I just gave this back to you less than a week ago,” you began, but got cut off.

   “I know, and now I’m giving it back again. I originally got it for you, and I want you to keep it.”

   You held onto it, silent. When he first gave it to you, it was because the two of you were lovers – that’s why the necklaces formed a heart. Could he be…asking you out right now?

   “I’m not asking you to be my girlfriend, babo,” he said, reading your face easily.

   You blushed, embarrassed that he could still see right through your thoughts. “W-what?”

   He smiled gently. “Quite the opposite, really.”

   He paused, and you only stared at him blankly. “I don’t get it,” you admitted.

   “This is now a friendship necklace,” Myungsoo announced, taking the necklace from you and dangling it on one finger. “It signifies our friendship and nothing more. Our friendship, which will last the next twenty years, right?”

   You smiled at him, relieved for some strange reason. “For the next fifty,” you corrected him.

   He chuckled, tossed the necklace back into your hands and sighed. “I’m being a good boy now,” he began. “I’ll stop. You know what I’m talking about – I’m going to stop. I’m going to meet the girl…my parents want me to marry.”

   You stared at him, speechless. “But I thought the reason you moved out and everything was because you didn’t want to?”

   “It was,” he said quickly. “But what have I even accomplished? All I did…was come between you and Jinyoung.”

   You blushed furiously, taken aback. “What’re you talking about?!”

   Myungsoo couldn’t help letting out a loud bark of laughter as he said, “You know exactly what I’m talking about!”

   A smile crept onto your face without your permission – no matter how hard you tried to fight it, it wouldn’t go away. “No, I really don’t!”

   “I’m talking about the fact that you and Jinyoung would be happily dating right now if it weren’t for me,” he smiled.

    You stared. And stared.

   “Don’t even try to deny it – actually, I don’t even know if you realize it yourself. He likes you, you know,” he lightly punched you in the shoulder.

   The irresistible smile plastered itself onto your face again. “I know,” you said softly, looking down at the ground.

   “And you like him,” Myungsoo stated matter-of-factly.

   You whipped your head up, surprised. “Yah, no I don’t!”

   “Then do you like me?”

   You stiffened, but Myungsoo only laughed. “I’m just kidding, bunny,” he smiled warmly, using the old nickname again. However, this time, you could tell that it was friendly, rather than romantic. “But that’s it,” he looked at you with the tiniest hint of sadness. “That’s all I wanted to say. That we’ll be friends. Just friends.”

   Relief seemed to flow through your veins, although you weren’t sure why. Perhaps you had gotten over Myungsoo and the breakup already, but didn’t realize. Whatever the reason was, you knew one thing for sure: you wanted to be friends. “More than friends,” you smirked at Myungsoo’s confused expression. “Best friends?”

   He scoffed, but was also relieved. “Whatever. Your best friend is going to leave now,” he got up and dusted off his pants.

   “W-what? But we just – ”

   “There’s somebody else waiting for you,” Myungsoo nodded his head to the side.

   You followed his gaze and saw Jinyoung – you had almost forgotten that he was still standing there.

   “You know what to do, right? I didn’t give up my spot for nothing,” Myungsoo winked.

   You went to swat his arm, but he skillfully dodged your attack.

   “Bye, I’ll text you,” he gave you one last smile before turning and leaving.

     Grinning and waving, you stood watching his back. You were, in reality, beyond grateful to Myungsoo.

   Once he was out of your sight, Myungsoo stopped and leaned against the wall, sighing heavily.

   That was harder than I thought. Move on, Myungsoo-yah. Be a man.

   Although his thoughts told him that, his body took a couple of moments more until he was able to move again. Half relieved and half disappointed, he made his way home.

--- 

   I know, it's been almost a month! Feel free to yell at me, okay? Wow ~ do you guys know what this means? This story will be ending soon...most likely with two more chapters! I haven't updated because of my other stories and because of exams...BUT GUESS WHAT? NOW I'M FREE ~ DONE SCHOOL and onto the Summer. I have a loooong fic planned after this, so...KEKEKE ANTICIPATE!