Planning a Surprise

Silence is Golden

 

   Myungsoo stepped into the dance studio, checked in with Victoria and went straight up into the practice room. He quickly changed into his practice clothes, a loose tee and sweat pants, before stopping and looking at himself in the mirror which took up an entire wall.

   “I can’t believe you’re doing this,” Myungsoo sighed to his reflection, running a hand through his hair. “But for the past relationship…I want it back.”

   He nodded reassuringly to himself and looked over at the clock. Jinyoung should’ve been arriving any time now – the two of them had awkwardly traded numbers before they left at the mall, and had texted overnight saying that they’d meet each other at 11am.

   As if on cue, there came a knock from the door just minutes after Myungsoo had started stretching. Myungsoo paused at the door – he wasn’t sure how he should greet Jinyoung. Friendly, because they were planning this together for you? Or coolly, because in the end, he was still a rival?

   Myungsoo decided to go with neither, opting to just be polite. He opened the door and was surprised to see Jinyoung smiling at him.

   “Morning,” Jinyoung called, stepping into the practice room.

   “Morning,” Myungsoo relaxed a tiny bit, somewhat relieved that the room wasn’t filled with tension.

   Jinyoung had actually had the exact same worry: he had spent the entire 10 minute walk to the dance studio debating whether he should be kind or cold to Myungsoo. Jinyoung believed that a boy who you thought was good enough to date couldn’t possibly be all that bad, yet…he did cause you pain. In the end, he had decided to just act as he normally would with anybody else.

   What the two men didn’t anticipate was the awkwardness. Silence washed over both of them as Jinyoung dropped off his bags in the corner, having already changed into comfier, dance clothes at home.

   “Uh,” Jinyoung cleared his throat, plopping down on the floor. “First things first? What are we even doing?”

   Myungsoo awkwardly sat down across from Jinyoung, making sure to keep a little distance apart.

   “I was thinking we’d surprise her,” Myungsoo started.

   “Duh,” Jinyoung chuckled.

   Myungsoo rolled his eyes and continued, “Maybe we should show up with some flowers, or just get a bubble blower or something – y’know, to decorate some place up.”

   Jinyoung nodded thoughtfully. “We can think of those extras later, but I meant for the actual dance. Should we teach her a specific type? Showcase just us dancing? Are we going to do a collab or do it separately? Or with other people?”

   Myungsoo blinked and held up his hands before Jinyoung could bombard him with more questions. “Slow down there,” he laughed. “It’s too early in the morning, okay? My brain hasn’t fully woke up yet.”

   Jinyoung smirked, “______ and I woke up even earlier when we had our sleepover.”

   “Yah,” Myungsoo warned, “Don’t push it.”

   But Jinyoung just chuckled, “Face it, you’d brag about it to if it happened to you.”

   Myungsoo had to give him that one and grinned, “Okay, I guess that’s true.”

   “Let’s just showcase ourselves dancing,” Jinyoung said. “I was actually thinking about it yesterday…we should dance to Sorry Sorry,” he said it half jokingly, in case Myungsoo rejected the idea and thought it was stupid. “Is that cheesy?”

   However Myungsoo’s eyes brightened as he straightened up a little. “CAN WE REALLY? I LOVE THAT SONG, SUPER JUNIOR PULLS IT OFF SO WELL – ”

   He froze then cleared his throat embarrassedly and stood up before saying instead, “Er, yeah.”

   Jinyoung cracked up, “OH MY GOD YOU’RE A SUJU FANBOY!”

   “SHHH!” Myungsoo hushed him by crumpling up a random piece of paper he found on the table and tossing it at Jinyoung’s head.

   “I brought my laptop,” Jinyoung finished laughing and went over to his bag, rummaging through his things. “We can just look up dance tutorials online.”

   “Or just watch the dance version and learn it off that by ourselves,” Myungsoo shrugged.

   “You fancy, huh?”

   “Just open the damn music video,” Myungsoo chuckled.

---

      Practice did not go well at the beginning. The two of them were awkward with each other’s movements – they kept on bumping into each other and accidentally going in opposite directions. They had trouble being in sync and aligning their bodies. Jinyoung had bad rhythm, but Myungsoo had bad timing.

   Basically, they were not the ideal dance partners.

   However, they wanted to do this for you. They were determined, and since they wanted to do it tonight, they practiced again and again. And then some more after that.

   They weren’t going to do the entire song, of course, just a cut of it. They had both agreed that they’d be crazy to try to perfect the entire dance in one day.

   “Even Super Junior can’t do that,” Jinyoung smirked at Myungsoo.

   Myungsoo had once again thrown a crumpled paper ball at him, but he was also laughing along this time.

   After four whole hours, they had actually gotten down the entire first verse and chorus.

   Myungsoo collapsed on the ground with his limbs weak and sweat dripping down his face. They had taken small breaks between, but four hours was longer than either of them had ever done.

   “That was a lot harder than I thought it would be,” Myungsoo breathed deeply, closing his eyes.

   Jinyoung threw a water bottle at Myungsoo, who yelped in surprise.

   Myungsoo chuckled, taking a long swig before lying back down and closing his eyes again. He snapped open his eyes in an instant, surprised. Yesterday, if Jinyoung had thrown a water bottle at him…he would’ve yelled at Jinyoung. Yet, after only one day…why did they seem so much more friendly?

   Jinyoung chugged half his water bottle before he noticed Myungsoo staring at him. “Why do you look so horrified? Are you afraid of water?”

   “It’s obviously because you’re so good looking,” Myungsoo snapped out of it and rested his eyes again, tired.

   “Sorry dude, unfortunately for you, I don’t swing that way.”

   “ to be me,” Myungsoo joked. “Are we doing it tonight?”

   “WHAT? I just said that I don’t swing that way!” yelled Jinyoung.

   Myungsoo’s eyes snapped open, “YAH! NO! I meant the dance!”

   “OHHHHH.”

   “Idiot.” Myungsoo closed his eyes again, folding his arms behind his head.

   Jinyoung sat down, leaning against the wall beside Myungsoo’s head and crossing his long legs. He disregarded the comment and replied, “Yeah. Let’s do it tonight. I’ll forget the choreography by tomorrow.”

   “The real question is, how will we get her to come with us?”

   That was a tough one. They had both texted you over 3 times, but you hadn’t replied. They got more and more nervous as each text was not replied back to.

   In reality, your phone had just run out of battery.

   Jinyoung suddenly clapped his hands together, startling Myungsoo.

   “What’s your problem?!” laughed Myungsoo. “You scared me.”

   “Wussy,” said Jinyoung. “Leave that part to me, though. I’ll get her.”

   “How’re you going to do that?”

   “Just leave it to me,” said Jinyoung, his eyes crinkling up with an evil smile.

   “I don’t like the sound of that, but whatever,” Myungsoo murmured, getting sleepy.

   “I was thinking we could just find some wide, open space. Decorate it a little, I guess. Girls like pretty things right? We’ll dance for her, be all goofy and crap, then sincerely apologize and BAM, hopefully she’ll forgive us. She has to, all the dramas show that girls love events like these. Do you think we should buy balloons? I don’t know her favourite colour, but she does wear a lot of light ones…if it’s at night, maybe we should buy a candle or two?” Jinyoung mused thoughtfully. “Oh God, it’s already almost five, how the heck are we going to have the time for this? Myungsoo?”

   Jinyoung looked over at Myungsoo to find him asleep. Jinyoung’s draw dropped, dumbfounded.

   I’ll just leave a note, Jinyoung thought.

   Unraveling one of the crumpled balls which was thrown at him earlier, Jinyoung scribbled down a note.

   I’ll meet up with you later to drop off the decorations. I’m leaving to buy them first.

                                                                           - Jinyoung

   Jinyoung placed the note next to Myungsoo’s head and packed up his bags. Right before he left, he turned back and realized that he had actually just spent almost five hours with the guy he was supposed to be fighting against.

   Jinyoung glanced at Myungsoo, who was sound asleep, and murmured a quiet, “You’re not too bad,” before slipping out and shutting the door behind him.

---

   “Oooh, _____!” you heard your mom call from the living room of your apartment. You were in your room, doing your homework for classes tomorrow.

   “What is it?” you yelled back in a sing-song voice.

   “You have a visitor! Get out here!”

   A visitor?

   You quickly hopped off your bed and walked outside. “Is Auntie here?” you stopped in your tracks when you saw Jinyoung standing by the door with a sheepish grin on his face.

   “That is definitely not auntie,” your mom giggled as she quickly moved away from Jinyoung. “Have fun tonight~” she left into her room and shut the door.

   Confused, you stood at the door embarrassedly. “Hi,” you muttered.

   “Are you angry?” Jinyoung asked, biting his lip.

   You were unsure yourself. “Maybe a bit.”

   “Okay, well, I’m kidnapping you today,” Jinyoung smiled.

   “What?”

   “You’re coming with me right now. Go change.”

   “It’s 7:30! Right NOW?”

  “Yeah. Like, now. Go!”

   He gave you a slight shove, and you were too shocked to do anything but follow his orders. Changing into a new tee and jeans, you were back out within five minutes.

   As soon as he saw you, Jinyoung grabbed your wrist and was dragging you out the door.

   “WAIT! Where are we going?” you asked, suspicious, holding onto the door frame.

   “You’ll see.”

   He lightly pushed you in front of him, and you saw a taxi waiting in front of your house. “I’m not going anywhere until you tell me where we’re – EEEK!”

   You yelled as something wrapped around your head and covered your eyes. Touching it and realizing that it was a piece of cloth, you felt Jinyoung tying it together around the back of your head.

   “Are you blindfolding me?!” you exclaimed.

   “Shh,” Jinyoung said calmly.

   “UMMA!” you yelled, wanting to dash back into your house.

   “Get in, _____,” Jinyoung urged in a smooth voice behind your ear.

   You shivered, speechless. Jinyoung led you forward a couple of steps and he helped duck your head down as you got into the taxi blindly.

   “I feel scared,” you breathed once the taxi started moving along.

   “Are you actually angry?” Jinyoung blurted. He was nervous – he thought that by now, your anger would’ve diminished or disappeared entirely. You didn’t seem like the type to hold a grudge, even if Myungsoo and he were being very childish.

   You turned your head away from the direction of his voice, pouting and refusing to answer him.

   He couldn’t help smiling just a tiny bit. The two of you didn’t say anything throughout the rest of the ride, though it was a sort one: you got there in around five minutes.

   Jinyoung paid the taxi driver and helped you out of the car. You bumped your head against the edge of the car and grumbled, “Give me my sight back, you monster.”

   Jinyoung said nothing, but put his hand over your head so that you wouldn’t bump into anything else on the way out.

   Mischievously, he led you out of the car and straight into his arms. You gasped when you felt yourself bump into his chest and immediately took a couple of steps back, tripping over your own feet.

   You could hear Jinyoung chuckle as he grabbed you by the arms and steadied you.

   Embarrassed, you stubbornly pouted some more. “Where are you taking me?”

   You tried to use your other senses to figure out where you were. It was almost entirely silent, other than the sound of a soft breeze blowing through the night air and the smell of something that reminded you of Jinyoung’s burnt cookies.

   “No where, now. We’re here,” Jinyoung whispered.