Was This Flirting?

Silence is Golden

 

   I let out a soft sigh as I flipped through yet another page of my Chemistry textbook.

   How can I even try to remember all this if I don’t understand half of it?

  Hidden between the multiple shelves of books, I took up almost half of a round table, with my papers scattered all around me. Sifting through a small pile to find a particular note, I could feel a headache coming on. Two weeks to the final exam, yet I had barely started writing my own revision notes. Not to mention Biology, Calculus, Physics, English, French…

   Not able to find the missing note, I propped my elbow up on the table, cupping my face with my hand. Blowing a few stray strands of hair from my face, I attempted to casually scan the library.

   There was usually this boy. This boy, with bright red hair. For the past three days that I had been going to the library, he was always also somewhere, pouring over his own books and papers. He had first caught my eye with his red hair, of course – you could easily see it from across the room – but also with his handsome face. A face that seemed capable of being cute, handsome and y at the same time…needless to say, I’ve been keeping a lookout for him all the time, sneaking little peeks. Half hoping that he wouldn’t catch me looking, but also half wishing that he would, so that he’d at least be aware of me.

   But I didn’t see him today. I looked at the clock, reading a little past 5pm, which was strange. Usually he would be already here when I arrived around 4:30. Maybe he decided to take a break from studying? I suppose four days straight of studying is a bit absurd and tiring, even though I was doing it.

   Turning back to my own books, slightly disappointed, I took a deep breath and tackled my notes once again.

   Still, I couldn’t help but pause and scan the library again every 10 minutes or so, just in case the boy showed up. I wasn’t even sure why – it wasn’t as if I had ever spoken to him or had any idea how his personality was like.

   On my 3rd check, I spotted a red head bobbing between the tops of the book shelves, a couple of rows in front of where I was. I watched its progress as it walked down one row, then turned into the next, coming towards me.

   Please, please, come over here.

   I realized how completely creepy I was, and quickly turned my attention towards my notes again as he came closer. I was suddenly three times as self conscious of myself.

   I heard him clear his throat, and felt my own throat tighten in response.

   “Excuse me,” came a male voice moments later, and I already knew it was him.

  Yes! Success!

   “Yes?” I lifted my head, feeling embarrassed that my voice came out half an octave higher than usual.

   “Could I…sit here?” He held my eye as I tried not to get distracted by his face. How in the world was he so good looking?

   “Yeah, of course,” I squeaked, organizing my papers so that he’d have enough room.

   Exchanging a quick smile, I tried to nonchalantly turn back to my notes while he settled into his seat and unpacked, bringing out a giant booklet.

   Okay, so now I had him across from me. But how would I start a conversation? Should I knock something off towards his side of the table? Get up and suddenly pretend to slip, but instead flail towards his direction? Catch his eye and my lips? Stare and oogle?

   I stopped my train of thought, realizing that my ideas were all either from cliché drama scenes, or absurdly creepy and ridiculous. I looked down at my paper, but abruptly, the half page of notes that I had gotten done didn’t seem to make any sense.

   “What’re you studying?” the boy blurted.

   Surprised, I snapped my head up and looked at him, dumbfounded for a moment before replying, “Chemistry. But I guess it doesn’t really count as studying since I don’t understand half of it.” A smile grew on my face in response to the grin on his.

   “Sad life. I’m supposed to be studying, too.”

   “What’re you studying?”

   “Advanced Functions.”

   “I have no idea what that is but it sounds…advanced.”

   “No, you think so?”

   I laughed softly, putting down my pencil and leaning my elbows against the table. “Is your hair naturally red?”

   I tensed, wondering if it was a weird question. Probably. Too late, now.

   “Ah, no, it’s dyed. Doesn’t it look like my head is a tomato?”

   “It looks like your hair is on fire.”

   “Well, I guess I am pretty hot,” he snickered playfully.

   We both giggled openly, catching each others’ eyes and then flickering away. Was this flirting?

   “What’s your name?” he questioned.

   “_______, and yours?”

   “I’m Jinyoung. Nice to meet you, ______.”

   “Same to you,” Seeing his gigantic booklet, I continued, “Do you have an exam coming up, or…?”

   “Huh?” He leaned back, and I leaned back also, not realizing that we had both been leaning towards each other. “Oh, uh, yeah. In about two weeks.”

   “Seriously? Me, too! That’s why I’ve been coming here so often recently; just to have a quiet place to focus without distractions.” I left out the fact that he had kind of been my distraction.

   “Yeah, I’ve noticed,” he stopped abruptly, exchanging an identical shocked facial expression with me. “I mean – I just…see you sometimes, y’know. Through the bookshelves. Well, what am I even saying, of course there would be bookshelves, we’re in a library. I’m sorry, I just sound creepy now, so I’ll stop here.” Looking flustered, he cleared his throat and flipped through his booklet.

   A feeling of giddiness took over my surprise as my head registered and replayed what he had said. Basically, that he peeked at me, too. I decided to disregard his comment, saving him from embarrassment.

   “That’s not creepy at all,” I smirked, trying to play it off. “I totally stalk people by peering over the bookshelves, too.”

   “You’re not even tall enough to see over the shelves.”

   It was true, the shelves were all just a little bit taller than I was, but still, I retorted anyways. “Hey! You don’t know how tall I am, we’re sitting!”

   “Fine, fine, stand up then!”

   We both stood, and he chuckled at my haughty expression. He walked around half of the table to stand beside me.

   I looked up at him, overwhelmed by our height difference. I came up to an inch or so beneath his shoulder.

   “How tall are you?” I exclaimed.

   “178cm tall,” he declared proudly. “How tall are you? 130cm?”

   “Are you asking for it?” I joked. “I’m a whooping 150cm!”

   “Are you sure you’re not rounding up?” he snickered.

   “Hey! I’m still grow-“ I stopped abruptly at the sight of a librarian walking towards us in a huff.

   “This is a library, not a playground. Please respect others!” She pointed to a sign stuck onto the wall nearby which stated boldly, “Silence is Golden.”

   “Yes, definitely, we’re sorry!” I bowed my head then gave her an apologetic smile.

   Not returning it, she her heel and sped walk back to the check-out desk.

   I glanced at Jinyoung in silence for a moment, before we both cracked up.

   “It’s because you have a surprisingly big voice for somebody so tiny,” Jinyoung teased.

   I crossed my arms and gave him a fake, “HMPH!” as I settled back into my chair, while he went around back to his.

   He sat there, looking at me for a moment, before digging into his bag and pulling out a note pad. I watched him curiously as he dug out a pen, flipped open a random page and started scribbling something. After a few moments, he flipped the notepad towards me.

   “I’d rather not get into trouble. Silence is golden.”

   I giggled, loving how playful his personality was. “I don’t like this. Your writing is too messy,” I wrote back.

   “Please, I should make my own font.”

   “It’ll look like those Egyptian symbols which nobody understands.” I decorated my line with triangles and small eagles to exaggerate my point.

   “Your eagle looks like an elephant.” He grinned at me as he gouged my fake-offended expression.

   “I don’t even like elephants. I like bunnies.” I drew a rough sketch of a bunny.

   “I like dragons. But I can’t draw one, so here’s a porcupine.” He drew a crude drawing of what was supposed to be a porcupine.

   “That’s a ball with spikes.”

   We continued on exchanging little lines and notes together, making playful teasing remarks but also finding out more about each other. By the end of 30 minutes, we had taken up three full pages in his book, filled with scribbles and small drawings. We had also exchanged a lot of information – he’s a 91 liner, plays the guitar in his spare time, can imitate a helicopter really well (I almost fell off of my chair  laughing when he showed me a toned-down imitation, especially because it seriously sounded real), and lives in a dorm with his four other guy friends. He idolizes Will.I.Am and enjoys learning to cook.

   “I should really get going,” I said reluctantly. It was now almost 6, and I had gotten no work done whatsoever. Yet at the same time, I enjoyed his company a lot more than I wanted to admit. He was playful, but considerate in a way that made sure my feelings were never hurt. He also had a killer sense of humour and a bright, handsome eye smile.

   Look at you, nothing but compliments. Head over heels already?

   I ignored the voice in my head and started to sort out my papers, organizing them in a binder and putting them away.

   “So should I, it’s getting late. I was supposed to finish three pages of my booklet, but instead drew three pages of silly notes,” Jinyoung admitted sheepishly, packing up also.

   “I guess I’ll see you around…?” I trailed off hopefully. I looked over at the librarian and saw her staring the two of us down. She’d obviously be relieved once we both left.

   “I’ll, uh, be here again tomorrow – if you want to study together, or something?”  

   Was it just me, or did he sound kind of hopeful, too?

   “Sure, definitely. I’ll be here around 4:30,” I answered with a bright smile.

   “I get off work around 5 – see you tomorrow then! I’m going to go check out some books. Y’know, have to make up for the lack of work done by reading all night.”

   “Sounds fun,” I grinned. “See you!” I gave a wave and hesitantly walked away.

   I walked out the door, and couldn’t help smiling, rereading the notes in my head. I couldn’t wait until tomorrow.