The Beginning of A Game

T e a r s . . .

 

Jinki walked out of the changing room and zipped up his hoodie. He looked around and found that Minho was surrounded by three girls.

 

“One of them must be his yeo dongsaeng…” He said to himself and was about to walk towards them when suddenly, a girl who was facing Minho caught his eye.

 

She had such a great figure with long brown hair but what caught his eye the most wasn’t her appearance but the way her eyes looked.

 

It looked so sad and so lonely. Onew wanted to walk to her and just hug her but he knew he couldn’t do that.

 

He began to take a few steps forward but then was stopped again when the girl’s eyes turned to face his own. For a split second, Onew couldn’t move. He felt like he was paralyzed.

 

“Yah! Hyung! You done already?! What are you- WOAH!” Key exclaimed when he saw where Onew was looking.

 

“Cute girls! Maybe I can get one of them to be my girlfriend?!” Key began to walk towards them and at first, he had walked up to that girl Onew had caught sight of first but…

 

“Annyeong! I’m the Almighty-“ The girl walked past him, towards Onew.

 

Onew didn’t look at what Key’s reaction was. All he saw was the girl, looming closer and closer with a small smile on her lips.

 

When they were close enough, the girl said, her voice clear yet quiet.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo. I’m Kang Hyejae.” Onew didn’t know how to react.

 

“Yah! Kaja!” Jaehyun said because by now, Taemin and Jonghyun had finished getting changed. The SHINee members nodded and began to go out slowly…until Hyejae and Onew were left.

 

For a second, neither of them did anything and then Hyejae said,

 

“We should go…” She turned around and began to walk out slowly. Onew stood there for another second and then followed her.

 

*

 

Jaehyun and Minho had booked a deluxe karaoke room and they began to file in.

 

For the first hour or so, they were just talking and chatting, not singing and using the karaoke room. They wanted to get to know each other first.

 

When they finally began to use the karaoke room, Hyejae stood up and said quietly,

 

“I want to go outside for some fresh air.” Key and Jonghyun began to protest but Hyemin and Jaehyun understood so they silenced Key and Jonghyun with a glare.

 

“Go ahead. Call us if you need us okay?” Hyejae nodded and walked out.

 

When she stepped out of the karaoke place and the fresh air hit her, she smiled. It had only been an hour and yet she felt suffocated in there. She didn’t know anyone.

 

“You don’t like to be in a karaoke room?” She heard a voice say to her. Hyejae turned around and saw Onew stand there with a small smile on his face.

 

Hyejae smiled but said nothing and just returned her attention to the busy road in front of her and watched as the cars drive past one by one.

 

“I just don’t like being with people I don’t know…” Hyejae said quietly.

 

“But you know me right?” He said and he stood next to her.  Hyejae had to smile.

 

“I don’t know you personally. I just know you through what you show us in front of the camera.” Out from the corner of her eye, Hyejae saw Onew smile and nod.

 

“Majayo,” He said with a sigh and then turned to face Hyejae,

 

“Hajiman, I’m willing to show you the real me. But…will you show me yours?” Onew asked her quietly, waiting for her to answer. Hyejae turned to face Onew slowly and said,

 

“Depends on what you show me.” Onew smiled and said,

 

“Kaja.”

 

“Wae? Are you sure it’s okay?”

 

“Kaenchana. You don’t like the karaoke room right?” Onew took out his phone and texted someone. The instant he got a reply, he checked it and with a smile, he took Hyejae’s hand and said,

 

“Kaja. I want to show you something.”

 

***

 

“Yeppojana!” Hyejae exclaimed as she stood at the very top of a viewing balcony, her hands on the edge and her eyes bright.

 

“Not really…It’s okay.” Hyejae turned to Onew and said,

 

“Mollragyul?!” Onew laughed and Hyejae turned to face the view again.

 

Onew turned around and his back was leaning against the balcony.

 

“So, are you going to tell me or am I going to have to tell you first?” Hyejae sighed and turned to face Onew.

 

“Let’s play shall we?” Onew turned to Hyejae and said,

 

“Sure. What shall we play?”

 

“Scissors, paper rock.”

 

“Mwo?!” Onew replied, an eyebrow cocked. Hyejae smiled at the view and then said,

 

“Whoever win’s have the say something about themselves. If the other person accepts what ever that person said about themselves then the game goes on.” Hyejae turned to Onew.

 

“Wanna play?” Onew laughed and then nodded.

 

“Scissors, paper, rock!” (Onew/paper ; Hyejae/scissors)

 

“I win. Say something about yourself.” Onew laughed and thought about for awhile and then said,

 

“I’ve never been in a relationship.”

 

“I know that.”

 

“Mwo? Jinjja?” Hyejae turned to look at Onew and stared at him.

 

“I think every single one of your fans know that.” Onew sighed.

 

“I never really finished my sentence.” Onew said. Hyejae’s mouth formed and ‘o’ shape and Onew continued.

 

“I’m not really confident around girls. Not even my own relatives. They’re really unpredictable to me. When I was young, there was this one girl I was really close with but she was really emotional. She would be really happy all of a sudden and then for no reason, she would become really sad or really angry. After an incident with her, I began to distrust being around women or girls in general. So that’s why I have a hard time being around them. You’re my fan right?” Onew asked and Hyejae nodded, her eyes never once leaving the scenery in front of her.

 

To her, it was like a wonderful and sweet medicine.

 

“Then you must also know that I had fainted a few times during a few performances?” Hyejae nodded again.

 

“It’s always because the girls at the front were too close to me…I guess you can say I have women-phobia if there’s even such a word!” He laughed.

 

“Then how come you can stand next to me as if nothings wrong and still talk to me as if you’re my friend?” Hyejae asked quietly.

 

Onew turned to face her and said,

 

“I don’t know either. When I first saw you, I just thought that you would be like another girl and I would have a hard time talking to you but I don’t know…it’s easier to talk to you that I thought it would be! Now, let’s continue.”

 

He put his right hand into a fist and said,

 

“Ready?” Hyejae smiled and held out her fist also.

 

“Scissors paper rock!” (Onew/Rock ; Hyejae/Scissors)

 

“I win. You’re turn.” Onew said and waited for her to speak.