Beats

A Simple Dance Session

“There he is,” you mumbled to yourself as you rolled the bucket of water around using the mop in it to push it. Working part-time at the studio was horrible before until he started teaching class here. Lee Howon was his name but people called him Hoya. He just entered the building and you couldn’t help but to stop your cleaning and stare at him as he brushed pass. His eyes met up with your for only a second and it felt perfect. He bowed his head slightly and you did so too, watching him as he passed you into the studio.

You slumped back into the wall and sighed, “Aigo, you’re too delusional...”

You straightened up almost immediately when a swarm of people began to enter through the door, trying to move out of the way by clutching the cleaning supplies closer to yourself. Once the hallway was completely empty, you hurried to the closet and pushed the supplies in and took out a sports bag from a shelf and laid it on the ground. You shut the door behind you and shuffled around, trying to take out the spare clothes you had. When you finally got them out of the bag, you quickly changed into them.

You opened the closest door slightly, peeking through the small crack the door provided to see if the coast was clear; to your luck, it was. You coolly stepped out, shutting the door quietly behind you and walked slowly towards the studio door. Hesitantly, you opened the studio door and poked your head through the crack. You scanned the room a little; it wasn’t the usual amount of people you would always see whenever Hoya would have a class here—there were about half of the students there at the time.

“Weird…” you mumbled. It wasn’t as quiet of a sound you made since it caught a few people’s attention. And one of those people was the choreographer himself. He rose an eyebrow as he turned towards you.

“Are you coming in or not?” he asked in a monotone. You straightened your back and faked a cough, “Y-yeah.” You shyly walked in, shut the door, and took a seat on the floor. You watched Hoya as he quickly snapped back into his teaching.

“Okay, so who’s ready for a new dance?” he asked enthusiastically. Loud woos filled the room and you giggled. Hoya nodded with a smile on his face, “Okay, I guess I’ll start.” He pointed towards the stereo, cuing to start the song.

He danced precisely and swiftly. Everything about it was perfect. How he was so engrossed in it like no other. You kept a close eye on each move he made. They were like puzzle pieces and the whole dance what the whole picture; without that one move he just performed, it wouldn’t be as amazing as it was just now.

When the song faded into the background and he slowly stopped moving, a boom of hands against each other quickly filled the room. Hoya had a sheepish smile on his face as he moved aside to get a drink of water.

“Okay, everyone get up!” he ordered and everyone followed. He began starting off slow with the dance and gradually picking the pace up for each portion. Sometimes you would get it and the other you wouldn’t. Hoya would even call you out sometimes to tell you to put your arm a little higher or bend down a little lower. You listened obediently and did what he said just to make him a little proud—if it did make him proud.


“Good work everyone,” he announced, “I’ll see you guys next week and we’ll see if you guys are still able to remember. Practice!”

After the last word, everyone began dismissing themselves leaving you sitting on the floor, drinking your bottled water. You sighed and got up and walked towards the mirror. You nodded to yourself with an expression of determination planted on your face. You walked up to the stereo and pressed play. Right on cue, you began to dance to the beat, punishing yourself in your head whenever you made a mistake, and praising yourself whenever you got a move right.

“That was good,” a deep voice praised. You quickly turned around to the back corner of the studio to find out to whom the voice belonged to. Your eyes widened and you bit your lip when you realized who had been in here for the longest time. You blinked a few times before saying, “H-Hoya.” He smiled a famous baby-like smile as he walked towards you, “You did good.” You bowed slightly and rubbed the nape of your neck. “Thanks…”

“I don’t seem to know your name,” he said. You looked up and smiled a shy smile. You introdiced yourself and held out a hand and he gladly took it. His grip was quite tight but you managed by gripping his hand tighter.

“Nice grip there,” he chuckled, “I’m Hoya. But I think you knew that already.” He winked at you and you quickly turned away, trying to hide your crimson face.

“Ahem,” he faked a cough, “You see, your dancing is really good but…”

“But?” you asked.

“But you really need to remember to bend your knees lower and to keep that elbow up,” he teased. You turned to him with your ‘are-you-kidding-me’ face and he laughed, “I was only teasing you. You’re really doing well, you just need the energy.” You flashed a smile as he patted your back.

“Well, I better go now,” he mumbled as he gathered his things and headed to the door. You nodded quickly and replied, “Oh, alright.”

“I’ll see you next week, okay? Promise me that,” he said. You nodded happily and began shooing him. Just as he was nearly out the door, he quickly poked his head back in and said, “One more thing...”

“Yes?” you replied. You felt your cheeks growing warmer but you get your eye contact with him.

“You’ve got something on your back,” he laughed, winking at you for the one last time and immediately shut the door.

You gave a confused expression and thought about what he just said, “Something on my…” You turned around so you could see if there was something on your back. You widened your eyes when you found a bright yellow sticky note attached to your shirt. You furrowed your eyebrows together and laughed as you wondered why that would be there. “What in the world?”

You struggled to get a hold of the sticky note since it was such in a weird position on your back but you managed. When you finally got it off your back, you began to read what was inscribed on it:

To the girl dancing.

Remember to bend your knees and your raise you elbow higher! If you need any help, you can give me a call.

-Hoya

You bit your lip and turned around as you blushed.

“What the heck?” you complained while laughing to yourself, “Aish! That guy...”