Spotlight

Changing Hearts

     It was my first time on a plane, and it felt awesome. Recline-able seats, full flight service, unlimited movie streaming—it was definitely a first class flight.

I felt remotely bad about enjoying the trip too much; I was going there for a funeral, after all. But the plush, leather seats and the feeling of being thousands of feet up in the air made it hard for me to contain my excitement.

When I arrive at the airport, it’s already late into the night. I’m greeted by aunt Minhyo who welcomes me with a warm (albeit tentative) smile. I find that speaking Korean again is much easier than I thought it would be, but then again, I’d been doing it for 13 years before I lived with Alice; it came naturally.

As we took a taxi back to her home, I can’t help but press my face against the cool glass as I stare captivated at the city lights. It was like a Korean version of Las Vegas—bright colours, huge display screens, and countless sounds of the bustling streets. I see in particular a lot of ads showcasing groups of people singing and dancing.

Ah, so these are the K-pop groups everyone’s obsessed with these days,I muse with amusement. Sure, I was Korean, but for some reason I never really paid attention to whom the so called idols were. I wasn’t caught up in the rise of the kpop industry like all the other Asian girls were.

Wistfully, I glance at the names on the huge posters as we drive by.

SNSD. 2NE1. BigBang. SHINee. 2PM. I had no clue who these people were, but they sure looked good. Especially the guys.

At one point, Minhyo sees me looking at some of the ads, and asks, “Do you listen to Korean music? I heard it’s really popular these days, even in America.” She smiles. “Do you like to sing?”

I tell her that I do, and jokingly say that everyone tells me that I have a pretty awesome voice.

She makes more small talk during our trip, talking about her kids, her husband, and how glad everyone was that I was able to come.

I’d be living with her for the duration of the visit, she says. I let her do the talking, my mind still wandering to the world on the other side of the window.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we get to her house, (a nice apartment in the city) I meet the rest of the family who has gathered there for the funeral that was to take place the next day. There are awkward introductions all around.

Afterwards, I make sure my luggage is put moved into the guest room, and change into a nicer outfit, one of my favourite dresses I brought with me from America. It was a light purple, cascading in ruffles of silk across my body. One of the nicer dresses I owned, but then again, Alex had brought it for me, and this was a good of an occasion as any.

Then I excuse myself from the gathering to take a walk around the city.

I have no destination, of course, but I sure as hell wanted to avoid the apartment for as long as I could. So I contented myself by walking aimlessly along the city streets, and enjoying the sightseeing opportunities while I could. As I walk, I see a group of girls giggling together, heading into a building down the street.

I wish Alex was here, I think with a sigh. She would’ve loved this. But of course, she couldn’t have come with me. I look closer at the building the girls went into. It was a club, I realize at closer inspection.

Looking at my watch, it was only 10:00. Whatever, why the hell not? I think to myself. I was in the mood for a drink, and it’s not like I had anywhere I had to go.

Glad that I had worn something nice, I went inside and ordered up a martini. When I get it, I swirl the alcohol in my cup, looking at the cars as they pass by in the street.

When I’m about half done my drink, there’s this huge commotion in the club, which is followed by a flurry of squeals and screams.

I look over at the noise, and notice a circle of girls surrounding a group of 3 guys. Curious, I try to get a better look at them. Through a break in the crowd, I see their faces.

They are all tall and lean, wearing casual clothes. The trio smile and wave at the girls reaching out to them, but a man, presumably their manager, keeps them at a distance.

They must be celebrities, I think with amusement. Somehow, I get the feeling that I’ve seen them before, but the moment passes quickly.

They’re really hot, I think absentmindedly. The shortest of the three had this ridiculously cute eye smile, and the other two were really well built. My eyes lingered on the tallest one, who had dark brown hair the colour of melted chocolate.

I am jarred back to reality when someone grabs my shoulder. I spin around, surprised.

“What the hell are you still doing here? The last performer finished 15 minutes ago! Hurry up and get on that goddamn stage!” someone screams at me. I stare dumbstruck at the man in front of me. He looks like he’s in his mid-forties, wearing a dress shirt and trousers. I’ve never seen him in my life.

“I’m sorry, I think you have—” I don’t even get to finish my sentence, because he grabs me by the arm and drags me to the stage in the corner of the room.

“You can sing whatever you want, just tell the band before you start.” I try to explain again that he’s gotten the wrong person, but he just says something about cutting my pay and walks away with a wave of his hand.

You’re kidding me, right? I think unbelievably.

I turn to leave, but some of the nearby people have started to complain, expressing their annoyances at the lack of entertainment.

I try to explain that they have the wrong person, that I’m not a performer, but one of the band members suddenly pulls me onto the stage.

“Wait, you’re not Saerin…” He says as soon as I’m on the stage. People have started shouting now, asking for the manager.

“Exactly what I’ve been trying to say,” I say through my teeth.

He looks at the angry audience with a panicked expression. “Okay, look, I’m begging you right now, just sing something. Anything. Or we’ll all be fired.” He looks at me pleadingly.

“Come on, please. Look, what song do you want?” the guitarist whispers.

I don’t even have a chance to speak before the spotlight suddenly shines on me.

I stand frozen on the spot. My breath catches in my throat, panic rising in my heart as I gaze nervously out at the audience in front of me; their expectant and attentive gazes were all trained on me, and I couldn’t bring myself to say anything.

The guitarist asks me again, this time more urgently. I give him a deadly glare, but vaguely heard myself murmuring Waiting, by Younha. It was an old song, but it was one of the only Korean songs I knew.

People were getting restless now, murmuring to each other and pointing at the stage. I mechanically grab the microphone, a detached movement that I was hardly even aware of.

I can’t believe I’m doing this, I think. There was no one I could get out of this now. If I took one step off the stage, I would probably be pelted with martinis. I groan mentally, wondering how I could’ve gotten myself into this mess.  

 

I close my eyes, and imagine singing only to Alex in front of me. When I open my eyes again, the people in front of me look less scary.

I might as well try, I think, desperately hoping not to embarrass myself further.

When the music starts, I find myself even relaxing a little, tapping my fingers against the microphone with the beat.

I notice from the edge of my sight the three boys that came in earlier looking at me curiously. I quickly avert my gaze, and take a deep breath.

As the intro music comes to a close, I look out at the audience again and suddenly have a strange feeling of power and adrenaline.

Here goes, I think with a sigh.

 

And then I start to sing.

 

~~~~~~~~~~`

Author's Note ~

Okay, as promised, here is partChapter 2! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Anyways, Happy Easter everyone! And I hope you guys enjoy the four days off school (for those that have it). Although one of my friends in America told me that they don't.... D:

And by the way, just for visual help, this is what I imgained Chaeri/Cherri's dress to be like (when she went out in the city). :)

http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1366&bih=571&tbm=isch&tbnid=NbI7c5bN7rp3tM:&imgrefurl=http://dame-affaire.livejournal.com/1479.html&docid=8y50ECAEfG_aVM&imgurl=http://www.rainbowparadise.sg/store/images/Romantic%252520Elegant%252520Ribbon%252520Ruffles%252520Tube%252520Dress%252520%28Purple%29_2.JPG&w=600&h=600&ei=l2V_T4erAY2k8QSxwc3FBw&zoom=1

Don't forget to Comment and subscribe ~