Meeting You

A Stranger's Tear

I ran up the escalator and to the train. When I reached the platform I saw I had a couple of minutes left before the train would depart. I stepped inside the train and walked up the stairs to find a seat in the train. I sat down next to the window.

A stranger hurriedly came in and swiftly sat down on the seat in front of me, immediately closing his eyes. I stared at his face for a few seconds before looking out the window. The train left and I got my book out of my bag.

I looked up at the stranger in front of me, his eyes were still closed. I was curious about the color of his eyes. My eyes slid along the features of his face. His jawbone, cheekbones, lashes, eyebrows, nose and lips. I kept looking at his closed eyes. When I was realizing I was staring, I diverted my attention to my book.

I read a few sentences before my gaze went back to his face. His eyelids moved a little and I quickly looked out of the window. I realized he didn’t even opened his eyes.

I couldn’t resist looking again for a few seconds. Then I saw a single teardrop from the corner of his eyes sliding down. My heart skipped a beat and right after started to beat twice as hard. He opened his eyes and I quickly looked away. I looked around with my eyes, trying to find something to keep looking at, but my mind kept going back to him. My eyes followed my mind and I looked at him once more. He looked at me and my heart skipped another beat. I felt my cheeks warming up and I looked away. I didn’t dare to look back again. What if I met his eyes again?

I carefully turned my gaze to him again. He was looking out of the window. I saw he had brown eyes that looked as deep as the ocean. The train arrived at a train station and in my head I begged for him not to get out. He stayed seated when the train stopped. My heart was relieved.

When the train approached the next train station, I looked at him for the last time. This was my stop and I had to get out. He was unaware of what he made my heart do. I got up, alighted and left the train station.