Chapter 17

Long Lost Memories

Raymond stood outside of Myolie's office and watched her work for a while before alerting her of his presence.  "Busy?" he asked as he took a step in.

Myolie smiled when she saw who it was.  "Not really.  What brings you over?"

"I actually came to see if you're ready to leave," Raymond said with a soft charming smile.  "Available for dinner?"

Ecstatic with the invitation Myolie nodded enthusiastically.  "I'm ready," she gushed out and hastily stood up.  In her haste she accidentally knocked over a folder and papers scattered around her feet.  Blushing awkwardly she didn't dare look at Raymond and quickly bent to retrieve the papers.  "You must think I'm really clumsy," she mumbled.

Raymond bent down beside her and helped her with the papers.  Handing her a small stack he said, "Actually I think you're adorable."

Surprised and embarrassed by his compliment, Myolie looked up shyly at him, "You do?" she asked timidly.

Holding her gaze, Raymond chuckled and replied, "Yes and more but let's not talk about that now.  Shall we go?"

Nodding her head, Myolie picked up her bag and followed him out of the room.  At the elevator banks they bumped into Kevin who was also on his way out.  Raymond stiffened when he saw Kevin but managed to smile civilly at the other man.

Oblivious to Raymond's hostility towards him, Kevin smiled brightly at the pair.  Giving Myolie a wink, he directed his question at Raymond, "Where are you guys heading to?"

"Dinner," Raymond responded casually and it took all of his self control to remain cool and collected when deep down he wanted to take a punch at the man who stole Charmaine from him.

The elevator arrived and they filed in.  "Want to join us?" Myolie asked once the doors closed.  Since she was standing in front of Raymond and Kevin's attention was focused on her, they both missed the tightening of Raymond's jaw when she posed the question.

Before Kevin could respond his cell phone rang.  Looking at the caller ID he smiled apologetically at them and turned around to take the call.  "Hi honey.  I'm leaving the office now and will be home soon."

Standing in the back of the elevator, Raymond clenched his fist in jealousy as he watched Kevin talking softly on the phone.

"You know I'll eat anything you cook," Kevin said gently into the phone.  "I'm going to pick up your favorite dessert on the way."  Chuckling Kevin ended the call with, "I love you."

"Was that Charmaine?" Myolie asked with a sly smile when Kevin turned back around.

Kevin saw the twinkle in her eyes and replied, "You know it was.  Who else would I be talking that way with?"

They arrived in the lobby and giggling like a school girl Myolie said, "I guess you won't be joining us for dinner."

Kevin held his thumb up and said, "Smart girl!"  Looking over at Raymond who remained standing passively off to the side he said, "You guys have a good time at dinner.  I'll see you two in the office tomorrow morning.  Goodnight."

When Kevin was out of sight, Raymond turned to Myolie with a blank expression and asked conversationally, "How long have you and Kevin known each other?"

"Hmmmm," Myolie thought for a few seconds then answered, "Almost eight years now."

"That must mean you know him pretty well," Raymond stated offhandedly as they continued to walk up the street.

"Professionally we work very well together.  On a personal basis, we're close friends," Myolie said then stopped to give him an inquiringly look, "Why do you ask?"

Raymond smiled affectionately down at her and said, "I want to get to know you guys better that's all.  And since you and Kevin are such good friends I can turn to him for advice if you get angry at me for something."  He then took her hand and pulled her along.  In a sweet voice he asked, "Is that alright with you?"

Pleased with his answer and with her heart still thumping wildly from the feel of his hands on hers, Myolie asked meekly, "W-Where to?"

"Anywhere you like," Raymond said absently, for his mind was working on a plan to extract more information about Kevin from the gullible Myolie which he can use to his advantage.

-----------------------------------------

Ron stepped through the door and scanned the restaurant.  He spotted Tavia right away and with a smile at the maitre d, he made his way over to her.  "Am I late or early?" he asked as he took the chair opposite of her.

Tavia smiled sweetly at him and handed him a menu, "You're just on time."

Skimming the menu quickly, Ron signaled for the waiter.  When their orders were placed, he turned his full attention to Tavia, "Why are we eating out tonight?  You don't like dining out unless it’s a special occasion.  It's not my birthday and yours passed already.  Is it some sort of anniversary that I forgot?"

Tavia laughed softly at the anxiety on Ron's face, "No occasion.  I feel like eating out tonight."

Ron eyed her suspiciously and said, "There must be a reason.  What is it?"

"Alright," Tavia said with defeat.  She looked at Ron earnestly and said, "Charmaine has tickets to a play which I wanted to see for a long time.  The tickets are very hard to get.  She managed to get four tickets and invited us to go along with her and her husband and…."

"And you think I might have a problem with it," Ron finished for her.  When Tavia nodded her head he chuckled and asked, "Why would you think that?"

"Because of Raymond," Tavia said slowly.

"You think Raymond would be mad if we were to hang out with Charmaine and Kevin?" Ron asked softly and when Tavia nodded her answer he chuckled.  "Yes, I admit he was shocked when he found out that Kevin's wife is Charmaine but Kevin is also his good friend.  I'm sure after seeing them together he realized that it is indeed over between him and Charmaine.  Plus, Raymond genuinely likes Kevin and you know how much Raymond values his friends."

"Is this your view or did Raymond tell you this?" Tavia asked skeptically.

Ron sighed with exasperation and leaning forward to take her hands he said, "He didn't tell me anything.  I just know him too well."

"If it was just me going then I wouldn't be having this discussion with you.  I'm only worried about you since he is your best friend.  I don't want to have a rift between the two of you over this."

Ron squeezed her hands for reassurance and said, "Accept Charmaine's invitation and forget your worries."

"Are you sure?" Tavia asked with uncertainty.

Ron laughed then scolded playfully, "You are such a nag today."  When he saw the irritation on Tavia's face he quickly put in, "To ease your mind I can tell you that Raymond and Myolie are together having dinner at this very moment.  I saw them walking hand in hand into a restaurant.  Now do you believe me that Raymond won't mind?"

Tavia's worries visibly disappeared and she smiled happily at Ron, "That's good news.  Actually its great news!  I'm happy that Ray has finally moved on."

Ron smiled cheekily at her and teased, "Now that you're happy again would you mind telling me when is this play you're making me go."

Ignoring Ron's little jab, Tavia said silkily, "It's next Friday but you don't have to go if you don't want to.  I'm sure I can find someone to go in your place.

"You better not," Ron said firmly and smiled.