o4 ; the promise

I Told You I Want To Die

 

I’ve never told anyone this before; not my mum, not my dad and especially – not Chorong. But back then, just merely a couple of months after that awkward conversation I had with Woohyun, we had another guy-to-guy talk, this time even more serious than before.

He dragged me to our favourite cafe just round the corner from our school and made me sit down on our usual isolated booth, private and confidential.

Just like what he was going to tell me.

After ordering a blueberry milkshake for himself and an iced latte for me, he took the seat opposite of mine and stared into my eyes.

That rascal was practically drowning me with his hypnotising gaze.

“What?” I squirmed uncomfortably in my seat and took a small sip of my drink.

“Chorong and I are together now,” he blurted out, straight and blunt. He didn’t even blink, didn’t even hesitate.

Instead, I was the one blinking my eyes in surprise at his sudden confession. I realised that my mouth was hanging open slightly and I closed it quickly. I gulped hard, not quite knowing how I should react to the news.

I tore my eyes away from his.                               

“When?” I mumbled quietly. Inside, I felt like dying. I’ve lost my first love. My sweet, first love. To my best friend of all people.

“Few weeks ago,” he replied simply.

I nodded my head numbly.

“Congratulations,” I managed to croak out, knowing that I didn’t fool Woohyun one bit. He gave me this look, but he didn’t say anything else.

“I have a favour to ask from you.”

 

I walk around for a bit, feeling restless and nervous at a strange and unknown place. Woohyun had left me, probably hours ago but I didn’t realise when.

I remember falling into a really deep sleep and waking up to a huge, white empty space. Empty as in completely deserted. Nothing and nobody was in sight.

“Hello?” I call out, in hopes of maybe someone answering me miraculously.

No answer.

I can feel my palms sweating and my hands getting itchy. I’m breaking out in cold sweat, just because I’m all alone and feeling abandoned.

“Anyone? Please, answer me,” I try again, even more desperately this time. Where am I exactly? Why isn’t there a single soul around? What actually happened?

I’m this close to crying, already on the verge of giving up.

But then I hear the softest, soothing voice of comfort.

“Chorong-ah...”

I feel a new surge of hope bursting inside of my heart.

“M-minhyuk?”

 

I sit by her bed and squeeze her hand gently in mine. I reach up my hand to push a strand of hair away just so I could see her beautiful, serene face again.

She looks at peace.

“Chorong-ah...” I call out to her softly even though I know she probably couldn’t hear me. “...I’m here. It’s me, Minhyuk.”

I try to keep my own voice under control but it comes out even shakier than I had intended. I sniff back my tears and force out a smile even though she couldn’t see me.

“I have your favourite Hershey for you here. You love white chocolate, don’t you?”

Without realising, my grasp on her hand had tightened, causing my own knuckles to turn white.

“D-don’t do this to me...don’t leave me, Chorong-ah. Please, you have to wake up soon,” I plead, my voice barely above a whisper. I stared into the far distance, recalling back Woohyun’s words from 2 years ago.

 

“You’re the only other guy that I trust Chorong with.”

I looked at him with much curiosity. His tone was different, the look in his eyes was different – faraway and detached.

“Uh, where is this conversation heading?”

“You’re the only guy that I would give up Chorong to, if I have to.”

What are you talking about, Woohyun?”

“I want to marry her.”

I held my breath. After all these years, I’ve come to accept it; Chorong and Woohyun together. They are like a match-made-in heaven. You just can’t not love them together.

Like Woohyun said, he’s the only other guy that I trust Chorong with.

Although, I have to admit, there are times where the raw spots still hurt though when grazed.

I chuckled.

“Really? That’s good. Anytime soon?”

He didn’t answer me. Instead he said, “Remember the favour I ask of you when we were 15 years old?”

My eyebrows furrowed together, knowing very well what he was talking about.

“It still exists, okay?” he continued before I could even say anything.

“Whatever it is, in case anything happens to me, you have to be there for her and take good care of her. Protect her, like she’s your own.”

I opened my mouth to say something but he cut me off again.

You promised me, Minhyuk.”