o1 ; the brother

I Told You I Want To Die

 

Life as a kid wasn’t hard. I have both parents who dote on me, a roof over my head, three basic meals per day and of course, I have my two best friends whom I love dearly.

I met Woohyun first. Our parents are close, hence the friendship automatically kindles. While I’m the quiet and sensible one, Woohyun is more outgoing and rash – always getting himself into trouble, leaving me no choice but to bail him out.

Chorong came into our life when we were 8 years old. Sweet, petite and soft-spoken, we were afraid to befriend her at first, but those are also the qualities that make us want to protect and defend her.

She had no other friends when she first transferred into the neighbourhood. Being the new kid in school doesn’t have its perks either. She was nice enough, but perhaps it was because of her introvert self that made her shy away from others.

I wouldn’t have gotten to know her if it wasn’t for Woohyun’s friendly personality.

We saw her sitting on an empty swing in the school’s playground during recess one day, looking all alone and lonely by herself. I watched her as her eyes followed those kids running around near the play area with that wistful look on her face.

“We should ask her to play with us.” Apparently, I wasn’t the only one who had noticed her. Woohyun’s stare never left her face as he motioned for me to come closer. “None of the girls would play with her. I’m thinking maybe she likes the boys stuff more.”

But before I could offer my own opinion, Woohyun was already moving forward, walking towards her with his usual confident aura. I followed closely behind him, hanging back and letting him do all the talking as usual.

“Hey there,” he greeted her with a friendly smile and gave her a small wave. “I’m Woohyun and this is Minhyuk.” He stepped aside slightly so that I was in the view. “What’s your name?”

Her round brown eyes studied our faces with much incredulity, as though she couldn’t believe anyone was even talking to her.

I didn’t know why but I was feeling somewhat nervous; so I shrank back even further, shifting my weight from one foot to the other uncomfortably.

Woohyun stayed rooted in his position, still waiting for her answer to his question.

Just when I thought she was going to ignore us like the rest, she spoke up in the softest, purest voice I’ve ever heard in my whole life. It was probably the first time she had ever spoken since she came to the school.

“I’m Chorong,” her eyes fluttered lightly as she averted her gaze away and looked down at her shoes shyly. “Park Chorong.”

 

I had just finished cleaning up the cafe after the last customer had left, and was about to close the shop when the call came.

I take my phone out from my back pocket hastily and press it against my ear without checking the caller ID.

“Hello?”

“Minhyuk...” at the sound of Chorong’s soft worried voice, I stop locking halfway, ignoring the sudden disturbing feeling in my heart. Something is wrong, something has happened.

“What’s wrong?” I force myself to ask. I don’t want to know but I have to know.

“W-woohyun...there’s been a fire at his workplace,” she says in between loud sobs. In the background, I can tell that she’s driving, most probably, over speed limit. “I couldn’t get anymore news from his colleague. I’m now on the way to the hospital.”

This is not happening...I told myself. This can’t be happening. Woohyun must’ve taken the day off or something. He can’t possibly be at the scene...

To Chorong, I try my best to keep a steady voice. I have to stay calm for the both of us. I have to be the rational one here while she’s anxious about her boyfriend’s safety.

“Okay, stay with me Chorong. I’ll be over as soon as I can.”

I finish securing my last lock quickly and start to walk towards where I had parked my car earlier. At the same time, I am still on the phone with Chorong; afraid that if I were to end the call, something else would happen.

But it turns out, there isn’t a need to...

I hear loud screeching sounds piercing through the other end all of a sudden. My eyes widen as I hurriedly slam my door shut and start the car.

“Chorong? Chorong! Are you there?” I ask frantically, my thoughts running wild. I’m already imagining the worst, feeling helpless about the whole situation.

No answer.

And then the line goes dead.