Touching Down

Lies

Staring out of the window at the near-approaching mass of land, I still couldn't make up my mind. I had been stuck on this plane for fourteen hours, and I still couldn't figure out whether to be relieved or annoyed beyond belief. On one hand, I was tired and cranky and sore from sitting in this seat for so long, and I was majorly annoyed at the old woman next to me who could not shut up about her grandchildren she was going to visit. It was bad enough having my parents stick me on this flying death trap for fourteen hours, but that’s not even the worst part.

I’m visiting my brother. My dear brother Henry, who’s perfect in every single freaking possible way. Perfect, adorable, chipmunk cheeks Henry-freaking-Lau. Yeah, that Henry Lau. Like, from Super Junior-M? The stupidly amazing violin player with the freakishly tiny eyes and cheeks like mochi balls? The one who knows six languages and has literally been all over the world? Yeah. Him.

But, on the other hand, I was flying six thousand miles away from him. That's something to be relieved about.

The Korean flight attendant walked past my seat, interrupting my stream of chaotic thoughts, and said kindly, with a Korean accent, “Please buckle your seat belt, we land momentarily.”

I rolled my eyes at her accent, but did as she asked, cinching the belt to fit my narrow hips. Sheez, Henry will be on me again for not eating like I should. Oh yeah, I should probably introduce myself. Well, I’m darling Henry Lau’s little sister, Taryn Lau. No, I’m not Whitney, I’m the other sister that Henry’s too ashamed to talk about. And before you ask, yes I am younger than Whitney too, by about a year. (In other words, I’m sixteen in North American terms.) Why my mom and dad decided to send me off to Korea instead of Whitney is beyond me, though. I mean, they’re so protective of me! I’m the youngest of four kids! This is the first time I’ve ridden on a plane by myself, and I hate planes! I’ve never even left Canada before! I would have been just fine spending my spring break in Canada, but nooo. My parents decide to go to Las Vegas down in the States with Whitney and ship me off to Korea! I don’t even know a single word of Korean! Ugh! I would have been just fine in Canada! Ugh, stu—

“Passengers, please make sure your seat belts are properly fastened. We are touching down in Seoul, South Korea. The time is 8:19pm and the weather is about 65 degrees Fahrenheit. Have a nice day.” I felt the plane bump against the ground and taxi down the runway, coming to a stop next to the terminal. Well, I guess I'm more annoyed than relieved by all of this, I mused, unbuckling my seat belt. As soon as the all-clear was given, I vaulted out of my seat to escape the annoying 90-year-old woman who had been sitting next to me, grabbing my carry-on (which was just a backpack) and gratefully escaping the flying metal bird of death that had had me trapped for 14 hours.

“…”

EVERY SINGLE FREAKING THING HERE WAS IN KOREAN.

Every sign I looked at had the weird symbols on it. Everywhere I looked, there were round-faced, black-haired people wearing weird surgical masks. You’d think there’d be something in English, but I couldn’t see anything that looked remotely familiar. I felt my heart plummet as I spun in a circle, trying to find SOMETHING in SOME language I knew. Even if it was Chinese, I’d be fine! I can read Chinese! Omigoshomigoshomigosh I’m so lost! I felt my eyebrows draw together in worry and anxiety, completely forgetting my former irritation with my brother. My heartbeat sped up, and I could feel my clammy palms on the handle of my backpack, and I wiped them nervously on my sweatpants. Oh, if that idiot of a brother were to appear right now, that’d be the best—

I felt a hand grab my arm, and I shrieked, whirling around, opening my mouth to scream —

“OH MY GOSH HENRY!!” I screamed, throwing my arms around Henry’s neck and clinging to him like my life depended on it. He staggered backward, blinking as (I assumed) he mentally switched languages, and said, his voice muffled by a mask, “I told you I’d be here when your plane landed. Didn’t you get my call?”

I backed up out of his embrace, staring into his sunglasses-clad eyes just like mine, and with my bad mood returning, I mentally yelled at him, Um, hello? I was on a FREAKING AIRPLANE for the past fourteen hours! You know how much I hate flying! Plus I don’t get international coverage, mister superstar! But, of course, I didn’t say anything other than, “No, I’ve had my phone on silent for a few days,” in the calmest tone I could muster.

“Uh, okay,” he said, looking at me skeptically, his head cocked to one side. “Uh, Ryn? You okay?”

I groaned. Is it that obvious? “Yeah, I just haven’t been sleeping well and I’m really tired,” I said truthfully, stifling a yawn. “Can you just lead me to the baggage claim? I can’t read a single thing here,” I said, trying to divert the line of questioning away from myself.

“Well, that’s going to change right quick,” the stupid superstar replied, picking up my carry-on bag. “Then we’ll get you home so you can sleep. But first, are you hungry?”

“No. Now can we please pick up my bags so I can go somewhere and crash? I didn’t sleep at all on the plane,” I whined. In truth, I was starving, but I wasn’t about to make him spend money on me. Especially when I just got here. But I really was tired, and all I wanted to do was curl up somewhere and sleep. Me and planes do not mix.

He laughed, saying, “That’s not what your stomach says.” I mentally punched my complaining stomach. Suddenly he cocked his head and looked me up and down, a concerned look in his eye. I could feel his gaze pass over my black tank top, oversized jacket, and baggy sweatpants. “Taryn, have you been eating enough? Sheez, you look like you weigh eighty pounds! Come on, we’re getting you something to eat. Ramyun sound okay?” He started dragging me away, and I could see the food court rapidly approaching.

“Henry! What the heck is ramyun? Are you trying to poison me?” I struggled against him, fruitlessly digging the heels of my Vans into the smooth tile of the terminal. Dang, he’s gained some muscle! He’s not that scrawny kid I used to wrestle anymore.

“Chill, it’s how Koreans say ramen. And I know you like pasta, so it’s a win-win!” he replied happily.

“Win-win? Who else is winning?” I asked, finding myself at the back of a food line leading to a weird terminal in the middle of the food court. Strangely, nobody seemed to be ordering at the restaurants themselves, but I could see numbers flashing on signs next to every restaurant. Note to self: ask Henry about it later. Raising my voice a bit to be heard over the clamor, I reminded him, “And keep in mind I still need my bags!” Oh gosh, I could smell the food in the air. I instantly identified as many of the smells as I could, looking around the large food court. It made me want to drool, and I nervously wiped at my lips, hoping I didn’t.

He grinned his cheesy grin at me. “Me! I’m starving!” He then pointed down the hall away from the food court and its weird terminal system. “How about you get your bags while I order? Go down that hall and it should be on your left.”

“Fine,” I said, my voice taking a barely discernible cold tone. I got out of line, heading for the baggage claim area. Of course he’s the one ordering. Little mister perfect can speak Korean, after all, I thought, my animosity returning. And to think I thought he had changed. Apparently not…

~~~~~~

Hey guys! Sorry to end off this chapter a bit abruptly, I want to keep my chapters as close to 1,000 words as possible and this was the only break in the story that allowed for that. Anyway, why everybody is wearing surgical masks will be explained by Henry in the next chapter, so don't ask me about it if you don't know why. And if you do know why, props to you! :) Hope you enjoy, comments are appreciated :)

Edit 4/5/12: I changed some details about the food court system since I just discovered I had falsified information. Sorry :(