The Winter When We Fell in Love

The Winter When We Fell in Love

A/N: Oh my god another songfic by me. I've never uploaded three fanfics at once. For me this is some pretty amazing . This one is inspired by BoA's 'Distance,' although, I don't really know if it's her own song or if it's a cover. Anyway, it's from the SMTown Christmas album and you should all go listen to it (just the one song or the entire album, your choice ^^;;) Oh, and while you're at it you might as well listen to SHINee's cover of last Christmas because no words can really describe their perfection. L;SDAK;SDK; babies ;__;

 


 The Winter When We Fell in Love

     Key lays with his face in the pillow turned to the side so he can watch his potential one-night-stand button his shirt up. He can see his face—that gorgeous face—in the mirror. Key lies on his back when he makes his way to the other side of the room to put his shoes on and then stop at the door.

     “Jonghyun,” he says before he leaves. “Kim Jonghyun.”

     “Ki—“

     Key’s about to tell him his name but the harsh sound of the door slamming shut cuts him off. Key wraps the thin sheets around his lower half as he walks towards the window. The snow falls silently and melts on the ground, Jonghyun’s feet hastily stepping over the wet, snow-coated concrete to his car and Key doesn’t give it a second thought that this was just a one-night-stand. The only thing he can think of is that in the few brief hours he had known Kim Jonghyun, he had completely fallen for him.

 

The Years Come and Go, But I’m Still Alone

     It’s winter again and it had been three years since he’s seen Kim Jonghyun. Each winter the name had been frozen on his tongue and in his brain, never melting away. Lee Taemin sips hot chocolate on the couch while sorting through the invitations, double checking for mistakes and then sealing the envelopes.

     “Let’s hope third time’s the charm,” Taemin says after sealing Choi Minho’s invitation and then throwing it into a messy pile.

     Key stirs his tea as he plops down beside Taemin. Taemin had been the first person he told about Kim Jonghyun and being the supportive, childlike friend he was, he supported Key. He had met Jonghyun in one of Taemin’s winter parties—the one’s that he throws due to extreme boredom but had then evolved into an anticipating tradition. He invited Kim Jonghyun in hopes that he’ll show up and talk to Key again but the past two years had been a bummer and he ended up not coming.

     “Maybe I should just give up,” Key suggests gravely.

     Taemin shakes his head. “Giving up is so not you—especially when it comes to love.”

      Key agrees but even he—a complete optimist—can tell when it’s been enough and that maybe it’s time to move onto someone or something else.

 

When it Snows Outside on this Winter Night, I’m Looking for a Trace of You

     Key stares out the window, the snow accumulating quickly on the driveway and the footpaths. He sighs and sips some hot chocolate. The party had just started and already there were a lot of people downstairs being happy. Key can’t be happy. Not when he’s waiting. He’s too anxious. Every year since that winter, he had stayed upstairs in the room where he had fallen in love with him, staring out the window to see if his small figure would emerge out of nowhere.

     The party had alone started. He still has four hours to go.

     Key can’t believe it when he sees a car pull up before the driveway and step out of the car, his hands shoved deep into his coat pockets. He looks up and he looks at Key for the briefest moment but it’s long enough for Key to identify him.

     He goes downstairs and waits in the living room with Taemin who’s with Minho. Taemin gives him a look and Key gives him the ‘he’s here look.’ Taemin nonchalantly stands up when he hears a knock on the door.

     “Kim Jonghyun!” he greets brightly and hugs to man. Jonghyun grins and hugs Taemin back and stares at Key’s awkward figure in the living room.

     Taemin releases him and skips back to his spot on the couch beside Minho. Key’s leaning against the arm of the couch with his arms folded and he’s looking down at the ground. Kim Jonghyun walks up to him and greets him.

     Key’s far too incoherent to register the fact that Jonghyun has grabbed his arm and leads him upstairs to their room. Once the door closes behind them, their mouths connect and it’s sloppy and rough. Key’s hands are in Jonghyun’s hair, Jonghyun’s hands are working on his thick coat. He gets it off and throws Key onto the bed.

     Key thinks about this for a moment between getting his sweater pulled off and between the messy kisses Jonghyun leaves on his neck and he pushes him back.

     “Where’d you go?” he asks and Jonghyun doesn’t respond and that’s the last thing Key gets to say to him for the next two hours.

 

 

      Key is on his side, perspiring and breathing heavily with Jonghyun’s chest pressed against his back, his heart racing. The blanket covers only their lower half. Jonghyun’s arms are wrapped around Key’s body as he leaves soft kisses along his neck and shoulders. Jonghyun’s hand clasps with Key’s and their fingers intertwine together.

     “Where’d you go?” Key asks for the second time when his heart settles and he regains a coherent mindset.

     “Doesn’t matter,” Jonghyun mutters against his skin.

     “It does. You can’t just disappear and leave me hanging and then come back after three years and have with me.”

      “But that’s exactly what I did,” Jonghyun replies and leaves more kisses along his neck.

     Key is taken aback and decides that Jonghyun is a total and pushes him away. “I’m not something you play with, Jonghyun. I’m a person. A person who cares about you even after you leave me after three hours of drunken and then come back like nothing ever happened.”

     “Listen…”

     Jonghyun pauses when he realises that he doesn’t even know his name. Key doesn’t give it to him because he hasn’t earned the right to know his name.

     “I was married,” Jonghyun confesses and Key doesn’t know what to think. “I was married and my wife cheated on me. So I wanted to get back at her.”

     Key scoffs. “So you had with me and then told your wife you had with a man and then… what…”

     “We…” Jonghyun wraps his arms around him because he has a strong feeling that he’s going to run. “We made up.”

     Key’s motionless for a moment and then he kicks Jonghyun away and starts hastily putting his clothes on whilst throwing Jonghyun’s clothes at Jonghyun.

     Key leaves before Jonghyun has time to catch him and decides that it’s his turn to leave him hanging… probably leave him hanging forever.

 

My Tears Like Snowflakes Falling Without a Sound

     Key comes back after Taemin informs him that Jonghyun left. He stumbles through the door, shivering, and his hands crossed over his chest. Taemin goes over to him and leads Key onto the couch and wraps a blanket around him.

     “You okay, want some hot chocolate?” Taemin asks but Key declines.

     Taemin sits down next to Key and wraps his arms around him. “You’re crying.”

     Key lifts a hand to wipe away a tear that he barely noticed was there. “I didn’t realise.”



I’ll Never Forget the Time When We Met. The Winter When We Fell in Love

     He’s not invited but he’s there sitting on the porch in the cold wearing only a thin sweater but Key can’t afford to feel sorry for him. Sure, Key wasn’t left in the cold to freeze to death but metaphorically he was and he reckons that being used and abandoned is equivalent to the literal sense.

     “I know you hate him, but he’ll die out there…literally,” Taemin tells Key who just looks at his trembling body through the window.

     “He deserves it,” Key replies coldly and Taemin is seriously considering to let Jonghyun inside and treat him like a stray dog but he also seriously doesn’t want to be a part of the situation by helping ‘the other side.’

     Key can’t help but have a soft spot for the guy who he’s only ever had interaction with for four hours; four hours of his life which he can’t ever retrieve. Although he’s not really sure he wants to. He walks outside onto the porch with a blanket in his hands and startles the shivering Jonghyun when he wraps it around him.

     “Just so you know,” Jonghyun starts, his teeth chattering. “Those times we shared together were the best times of my life.”

     “That doesn’t get rid of the fact that you used me to get back at your wife who you got back together with anyway.”

     “Look, I don’t know about you but after our first time together… I pretty much fell in love with you. I just… I just couldn’t face it.”

     Jonghyun cups Key’s face and kisses him tenderly. He kisses him two more times and then stares into his eyes. “I never got your name by the way.”

     Key smiles. “Key, just call me Key.”

Fin.


A/N:

So this was written last Christmas (I gave you my heart~) five days before the 25th and this fic was rushed and just... totally random. I was super obsessed with SMTown's Christmas album (I was trying to get myself in the mood) and at the time it really inspired me to write a fanfiction based on BoA's song 'Distance' and it turned out... not bad... just not what I had in mind at the time. I didn't actually write this as a Christmas fic because here in Australia Christmas falls in Summer and it's hot as but for those of you who celebrate Christmas in winter, you may interpret this as a Christmas fic ^^;;

Anyway, you guys know the drill but if you don't: grammar and spelling errors are to be ignored (unless you want to point them out to me so I can correct them, you may ~) and most importantly:

Comments are loved ~

Bye for now!