Questions

Not Good Enough

 “AYA!”

“What?” I mumble, getting up to see who is calling me - and then getting back into bed when I see who it is.

“Hey, don’t go back to sleep!” Shou whines, before jumping on my bed like a 4 year old and threatening to fall on me.

I’m too lazy to get off the bed so I roll off instead, landing hard on the floor. I sit up and rest my head on the bed to look at Shou.

“Why are you here?”

“Well, I have to show you around, don’t I? Mum told me that you weren’t feeling well so she couldn’t show you around. Are you feeling better now?” he asks, putting his hand on my forehead.

“Yeah, I’m fine now,” I say, I don’t want him to feel worse knowing what his Mother did to me.

“Did you say anything to her? You know, about the marriage?”

“Yeah, Granny says there’s nothing else she can do,” I lie. It’s better if only I know what she thinks of Grandpa...

Shou looks at me questioningly; he could always tell if I was lying. He opens his mouth to speak but I interrupt him.

“Wait... How did you get in here?”

“I have my ways,” he announces.

I stare at him, confused. He holds my hands and pulls me up from the floor. He points at the bathroom and says, “Go wash up! It’s time for a tour of SM - and breakfast!”

 

 

 

I finish eating my breakfast, straighten my hair and put my shoes on.

“Shou, I’m ready,” I say. He turns off the television and joins me at the door, looking at me carefully.

“What?” I ask.

“My baby Aya looks so clean after her bath!” he squeals.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I raise an eyebrow at him.

“...Nothing, I’m not calling you dirty or anything...”

He manages to run out the door and avoids the shoe I fling at him. He stops at the end of the corridor and turns around; he looks apologetic, but then, he sticks out his tongue at me and screams in a high pitched voice when I start walking his way.

“...Weirdo.”

 

 

 

I find Shou waiting at the elevator and he puts his hands out in front of him defensively.

“So, where are we going first?” I ask, ignoring his actions.

“Just wait and see.”

 

 

 

A two hour drive later, we arrive at a huge building. It looks similar to the SM building, but it’s probably like 3 times as big. There’s a huge park to the right of the building and another identical building on the opposite side of the park. There’s a small river, with a bridge, going towards another building a little farther away.

“What is this place?” I ask Shou.

“It’s SM Academy! It’s where all the SM trainees - and now, some of the Jiyuu trainees - go for training. There are a lot of performance classes, like dance class, music class and more, but there are other classes too; it’s actually a pretty normal school. Well, for you, it might be difficult at first since you won’t be used to the school hours, but, don’t worry, it’s a great place.”

“Wait,” I pause, “I’m coming here? Am I going to be a trainee?”

“Yes and no. You’re going to have lessons here since it’ll help you get performance skills. Lee Soo Man doesn’t want anyone here to not be able to perform in some way; even the teachers and staff can perform - in one way or another. You won’t be a trainee. Obviously, that’d be chaotic since you can’t speak a lot of Korean and you’ve never sung before... Plus, if you debuted, how would fans react to you and Chanyeol? It could turn out horrible...” he trails off.

“Thanks for the positivity,” I reply sarcastically. “Wait; will be in the same classes then?”

He shakes his head. “I wish! I’m way too old to be in your classes! I really want to be able to see how you dance now...”

Shou and I used to take dance class together, ‘til he moved away at least. I told everyone I’d given dancing up since I didn’t want to do it alone, but I still practiced sometimes in my room or when no one was around. It’d be so awkward for me if I had to dance in front of people... I’m not a people person.

“Come on, I’ll show you around!” Shou says.

 

 

 

I was still thinking about what Shou said. Not about dancing, but about the fans - would they know? Would they kill me? Before I can think about an answer, Shou prods me in the side and glares.

“Have you heard a word I’ve said?”

I say nothing and he sighs.

“OK... let me say this again then.” He points at the glass building closest to us, to the left of the park. “This is the boys’ dorms - all students stay here on campus. Girls can go in too, but obviously not to stay. You can come between 6am and 8pm - remember that! If you ever want me, go to the reception, it’s pretty hard to miss considering it is right behind the front door. Tell them you’re name and they’ll let you in. I’m on the 3rd floor by the way, in room 6.”

He then points to the building on the right of the park. “Now, that is the girls’ dorms. You can go in and out whenever you want - since you’ll be living there....”

“What? I thought I was staying in the SM building?” I ask confused.

“That was just temporary,” he explains. “They’ll bring all your stuff over tomorrow so for now, I’ll give you clothes and stuff if you need it.”

I sigh. I’ve never been on campus before, let alone at a school I don’t know...

“It’ll be fine!” Shou says, patting my shoulder. “Plus, you’ll have dorm mates so you won’t be lonely.”

“Dorm mates? What if they hate me? I can’t speak Korean properly! What if-“

“I know them and I’m sure you’ll get along fine with them, so don’t worry!”

I open my mouth but he covers it with his hand and brings his fingers to his lips.

“Shhh! It’ll be fine. Trust me.” He takes his hand away and I nod. He points to the final building.

“In case you haven’t figured it out, that is the actual SM Academy. As in, that’s where all your lessons will be. There are quite a few shops down there as well - I’ll show you some later.”

His watch beeps and he looks at the time.

“Ugh...I have to go get ready for class. I’ll see you later. Make sure you keep your phone with you so I can call you. You won’t have any lessons for today and tomorrow, so just check everything out and chill. If I were you, I’d start by going to find your room.” He stands behind me, turns my body towards the girls’ dorms and pushes me forward.

“But...” I turn back to ask him some questions but I see he’s already started running towards the boys’ dorms. He looks at me, salutes and enters the building.

I make my way towards the girls’ dorms but then notice a few fish in the river. I walk towards them and lay down by the riverbank. The wind blows lightly and I feel at peace. I didn’t realise that I haven’t really been alone lately. There’s silence as I lay down and I close my eyes. My hand automatically reaches my pocket and I take out my MP3, untangling the headphones - yet again. I put my headphones in and listen to the music.

I hear a noise. At first, I think it’s the music, but then I realise it’s someone talking. I open my eyes, sit up and pull out a headphone. I look to the other side of the river.

I don’t know what to do, hyung... How can I go through with this?

Chanyeol... you have to do this! The company needs this.

Wait. Chanyeol. Chanyeol? No way...

I squint their way - I’ve left my glasses at home.

But, I don’t know her. She’s not even Korean, she’s Japanese! And... she’s short and she’s not even a trainee. She can’t do anything... Why is she here? Why did she agree? Why did she choose me?”

I didn’t agree... I don’t have a choice... I didn’t even choose you...

Look, there’s a reason for everything. You wouldn’t be put in this situation if it wasn’t going to benefit us all. Listen -

No, Suho hyung! I’m sick of listening. I hate this. I hate her. Why is this happening? I... I just want to be alone!

Fine,” Suho says. “If you need me I’m here.” He gives him a hug and leaves.

I’m still sitting down. I put my headphone back in and head towards the girls’ dorms. I feel someone watch me and I cover my face with my hair. I don’t want him to see me. After all, he hates me.

 

 

(Ah, such an informative chapter... I hated it, but I think it needs to be done so we won't have problems in future chapters! Also, Chanyeol finally shows up... if only Aya could see him but alas, she didn't have her glasses with her. Suho was also here, I think he seems sorta leader-y and understanding so I figured he'd be best for this conversation. Ah!!! I don't like chapters like this, barely anything happened!! Mostly, it was just Shou torturing Aya XD So... whatcha think? I understand if you guys aren't happy, but stay with me <3 Also, yay, more subscribers and commenters! :D I like it hehe)