I Get To Know You

When Love Ends

"What about your parents? You lived together with them, right?" i asked him.

"No" he replied. "I don't have parents anymore"


"W.. What happened?" I stop sweeping and staring at him. He sighs.

"They.. Uhm.. Died. When I was 6 years old." He replied. I lower down my head. I feel sorry for him.. I should have not asked him about his parents.

"I'm.. Sorry, Tao. I didn't know that your parents are.. Uhm.." I can't finish my sentence. He stands up and grab the garbage can.

"Don't worry. I'm used to it" he smiles. "Look, I'll throw the garbage away" he continued.

"Ah! Wait!" I run to my bag and grab a lollipop. I walk towards him and give the lollipop to him.

"Sorry for asking about that. Here, this is for you. Eat it so you'll accept my apology" I said.

He takes it and smirks. "You think I'll forgive you just because you gave me a lollipop?" He glances at me. I nodded anxiously.

"Y.. You don't like it? Give it back then!"

"No no. Ha ha ha.. Thanks. I said it's ok, right? Thanks for the lollipop" he smiles and walks away.


"How's your first day of school, sweetheart?" My mom my hair slowly. I raise my shoulders. "You like your school or not?"

"Well, uhm. I like it. And I got a friend. A boy. He is from Beijing too" I replied.

"Really? So you're close to him now?"

"Not really. Just a friend. Not that close. But I guess his past isn't really good to remember. His parents died when he was 6." I said. Mom nodded and open the refrigerator. She takes a bottle of milk and give it to me. She smiles and my hair again.

"Everybody has their own stories" she said. "It's a good thing you got a friend, Rin. Now go get some rest, dear. You must be really tired" she continues. I nodded and take the milk to my room. I put the bottle on my desk and I jumped to the bed. I stare blankly at the ceilings. Yes, mom was right. Everybody has their own stories. But Tao's stories are just so sad. I feel horrible that I asked him about his family even though I was just asking about what happened to his parents.

"I hope I can get closer with Tao" I said as I closed my eyes and try to sleep.


"WAKE UP!"

I jumped from the bed and I see mom in front of me.

<

"It's 7:30 AM already! Run to your school RIGHT NOW!" She yelled. I run to the bathroom and take a bath in a rush. I put on my uniform, grab my bad, put on my shoes and run as fast as I can to my school.

I am now in front of my school. And what the hell, my mom lied to me. It's still 7:15 right now. I walk inside my school slowly. I mumbled like crazy, swore to myself that I won't talk to my mom today. It's a good thing that nobody's around me, so nobody won't see me mumbled like this. I'm arrived in front of my class. I open the door as I see Tao sleeping.

"He's already here?" I walk towards him and staring at him. His sleep's face is so cute. I play with his hair and he pouts in his sleep. I giggled. I sit on my chair, still looking at him. I smile everytime he moved his body.

Suddenly, he opens his eyes while I was still looking at him. He flicks his eyes numerous time and scratches his head. I smile when I see his messy hair and his sleepy face.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" He yawned and I shook my head. "Ya, tell me." He forced me. I giggled.

"Your sleep's face is cute" I said and I laughed really hard. His face turn red like tomato and he pinched my cheek.

"Ya, don't say that. I'm not cute" he said. I nodded but I can't stop smiling.

"Why are you here? It's still uhm.." He looked at his watch. "7:18. The school starts at 8, you know that?"

"Of course I know that. But my mom lied to me. She said that I'm running late for school so I ran as fast as I can to school. And, võila! Here I am" I sigh and he laughed.

"What? Is it funny?" I pout and he shook his head.

"That's not funny at all. But how you told the story, it's so funny. So, YOU are funny. Ha ha ha.." I blushed.

Suddenly, my stomach makes a horrible noise. I gasped and he laughed so hard.

"Ha ha ha ha! What is that horrible noise? Ha ha ha.. Have you eaten?" He asked, still can't help but smiling. I shook my head. He giggled and grab something from his bag. Yes, a lollipop.

"Here. I don't think you'll be full if you eat this. But at least you have to eat something" he smiles. I nodded and take it.

"Thanks" I said. He nodded.

We talk about our life. He tells about his passion in dancing, rapping, and many more. I told him how I like drawing. I forced him to show me some of his moves and he danced in front of me. I'm so glad that I can be this close with him.

"Let's walk together after the school's finish" he said. I nodded and the bell rang. We had been talking for 45 minutes and we didn't notice that. It feels so fast. And we didn't notice that while we were talking, one by one student entered the class. Now I feel thankful that my mom lied to me, so I can spend some times with Tao. Wait, why am I thankful? I hate this boy, right? Well, I guess I'm wrong. He's nice, I guess?

The first subject is math. To be honest, math kills me. And why did this school give math as the first subject. I have no idea and I don't think I will pay attention to the teacher. I lay my body on the desk and I'm facing Tao. He pays attention to the teacher. I smile seeing his serious face. He pouts and scratches his head when he couldn't find the answer. I giggled and he glances at me.

"What are you doing?" He whispers. "Why are you looking at?" I shook my head and turn my head around, back facing him.

The next subject is English. I'm not really good at it and OH MY GOD, Tao's english is the best. I'm looking at him while he was reading a story for the whole student in my class. My jaw dropped because his English is so good. Yeah, envy.

"Ms. Li, can you please stop looking at Mr. Huang like that?" Said the teacher. Huh? What? Everybody is looking at me.

"I-I'm not looking at him" I glance at Tao and he gives me his one side smile. I was so embarrassed. I can't look at him because my face blushed.

Until the last subject, I can't talk to him. I'm so embarrassed to see him. Actually, yes I was looking at him. But it was just an admired look. Not a 'falling in love' look. Right?

I stand up when the bell rang and I grab my bag. I turn around but then Tao grab my hand.

"Let's go home"

I turn around and I see Tao smiling at me. He raises his eyebrow. "Come on" he said.

"I-uhm.. I have to-"

"You promised" he stare at me. I nodded and he smiles. He walks beside me.

"So" he started. "Do you have problem? Like, language, or something?"

"Uuh.. Yes! Hangul is so hard for me" I replied. He nods as an agreement.

"Do you want me to teach you?" He asked. I stare at him.

"Teach me?" He smiles and nodded.

"Ya, teaching is not so hard. But of course if you don't want it, I won't force you" he said.

"No no. Teach me please!" I said. "But.."

"Hm?" He smiled. "What?"

"You are busy, aren't you Tao? Your work?" I asked. He sighs and shook his head.

"I have a spare time today. At least until 3 PM. Now is.." He looked at him watch. "It's 1 PM now. So let's get started!" He grab my hand and lead me to a park near our school. We sit on the bench and he started to teach me. I can understand his easily. After 2 hours, my hangul gets better. Thanks to him!

"I think I gotta go now" he said as he stand up and turns around.

"Uhm. Tao!" I yelled. He turns around, facing me. "Thanks" I said. He smiles and nod his head. He waved and run away.


I've spent 2 months learning hangul with him. 2 hours everyday. We're getting closer day by day. I can't say that my feelings for him is loved, because I can't stand love. My ex-boyfriend left me without a reason. That's why I think that love is such a pain. So I guess me and Tao can be a very close friend instead of in a relationship.

"So, do you understand what I'm saying now?" He said in hangul. I nodded and smile. "Good! So I don't have to teach me anymore, right?" He glances at me and stand up. What? You don't have to teach me anymore. So does it mean that we can't walk back together again?

"But sure we can still walk back home together" he smiled. Gees, he can read my mind?

"AH!" He shouted. "Lollipops!" He points at a candy shop near the park. "Let's go and buy some lollipops!" He grabbed my hand and run towards the shop. Tao's eyes are shining when he saw thousands of lollipops in front of him. I giggled.

"I'll buy it for you" I said. "To thank you for teaching me hangul"

He take 3 different lollipops. "Really?" He said. I nodded and he smirked. I take 1 lollipop and pay for them.

"Thanks Rin" he eats one of them. He stuffed his mouth with lollipop and smile to me. I laugh when I saw his stuffed mouth that makes his cheek looks chubby.

Suddenly, he cough. I hit his back slowly.

"Hey, don't stuffed your mouth like that again" I said. He didn't stop coughing and I hit him harder. He looks at me and smile.

"Thanks" the cough stopped. I smile and nodded.

"Let's go" he holds my hand. My face blushed but thank God he didn't saw my face.

We are now in front of my house. I release his hand and walk towards the door. "Bye" I said and wave to him.

"Uhm, Rin. I got something to say to you" he says.

"Yes?" I asked. He scratches his head.

"I-uhm.."