End

Let Me Stand By You(Semi-hiatus)
"Did you see Rian?" Yoojin grabbed Ui-Bong and asked him eagerly. His best friend seemed startled by his unusual cheeriness, "Probably preparing for the competition. I don't know, I haven't seen her anywhere."

Yoojin frowned, "Where did that kid get to?" He let Ui-Bong go; the younger kid hurried off with Seul to prepare for the competition.

Catching sight of Haesung from afar, Yoojin hurried over to his former crush's side, "Hey, did you see Rian?"

Haesung lowered her head, not saying anything. Yoojin frowned, then was startled, "You...you're crying?" Haesung tried to avert her head, but Yoojin had already seen her red-rimmed eyes and tear-streaked face. He grabbed her shoulders, "Yah, what the hell happened? Why're you crying, did someone bully you or something?"

Haesung shook her head silently and tried to wriggle out of his grasp, but Yoojin just tightened her hold on her, "Yah! Answer me, and I'll help you get justice!"

"Stop trying to act like some bloody hero!" Haesung suddenly screamed, pushing him away so hard that he fell. Yoojin landed hard and stared up at the usually meek Haesung, stunned. She glared at him and gave him a brutal kick, "You think you're so great? You think you're some kind of white knight? Stop trying to help other people when they didn't ask for your help! You're so useless you couldn't help anyone anyway!" With that, she stormed off.

Yoojin blinked. He rubbed his arm hard where he had hit the ground, "What the hell happened to her?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Today is the day. All your hard work, all your efforts...If you do well, then you will succeed, and your efforts will be well appreciated. If you fail, then everything will go to waste. Now, let the competition begin!" Shin PD's voice rang throughout the hall as the audience began to clap.

Yoojin took deep breaths, clenching and unclenching his fists nervously. Next to him, Ui-Bong was also fidgeting, his breathing erratic. Yoojin glanced about, looking for Rian, but the idol was nowhere to be seen. He frowned again. Where the hell was that girl?

As if on cue, Rian entered the room, calmly and unruffled. She was dressed up in a shimmering black dress and high heels, and Yoojin felt swept away by her beauty again. She barely spared him a glance as she strode past him and took her seat further away. Yoojin smiled. It had been a while since he saw this completely confident, arrogant Rian.

The first contestant took the stage. Yoojin leaned forward as JB cleared his throat, "Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Jang Woojae. Many of you may know me as the Korean idol JB. Today, I stand before you, not as JB, but as Woojae. I stand before you, seeking improvement, and your advice. So please, help me to improve." He paused, taking a moment to look several of the audience in the eyes. Yoojin had to admit that he was extremely charismatic. The idol continued, "The song I have today, is for an old friend. She was always there beside me, but I never appreciated her, never understood how much she did for me. And now she's left me." He looked downcast as he said the last sentence. There was a murmur of pity in the crowd. Taking a deep breath, JB continued, "So this song is for her. Even though she may not accept it, or even understand it...but I just want you to know, that I'll always be supporting you." He bowed to the crowd, who began to clap, then took his seat at the piano. He began to play.

"As I look at your innocent expression,

It seems like the whole world is peaceful and quiet, Perhaps it is because you are loved by God, But love really enters your life again

There is no need to doubt this happiness,

You need only open your eyes Use your heart to appreciate his genuine feelings One day, you will truly understand

How I wish that happiness is on your side

To see your love to the very end And see that your love has its happy ending

Give me a little time

To draw a portrait of you A portrait of that perfect smile of yours..."

There was a long silence as the music came to an end. Yoojin took a deep breath, and his eyes flicked to Rian. Her composure had crumbled completely, the tears streaming down her face like a leaking faucet. Her hand covering , she rushed out of the room.

Yoojin was rooted to his seat for a moment, watching as JB left the stage. He looked down at his hands. Had that song been a confession, of sorts? It was obvious that the song was to Rian. But was JB giving her up to Yoojin, or declaring that he was still fighting for her?

Yoojin rushed out of the room to look for Rian. And then he skidded to an abrupt halt, staring at the two idols before him.

"Why? Why now? After all that?" Rian was asking. She was trying to maintain her composure and glare at JB, but as JB reached out and took her by the shoulders, she began to weep anew. JB sighed, "I'm sorry. I was stupid and confused, I mistook pity for love. I pity Haesung, but you are the one I love. That song was for you; if you choose Yoojin over me, I have nothing to say. But...but, I want you to choose me."

JB's arms wrapped around Rian. After the briefest of moments, Rian's arms wrapped around him as well.

Yoojin's shoulders sagged. So that was why Haesung was crying earlier on. JB must have dumped her. He felt as if a fist was clenching around his heart, tighter and tighter, as he watched the duo before him, and he could feel the tears welling up in his eyes.

A hand grasped his wrist and pulled him back. Yoojin's eyes met Ui-Bong; his best friend hesitated before speaking, "It's your turn next, Yoojin. Get ready and give her your song. Show her what you feel for her. Use that song to confess and fight for your love."

Yoojin looked at his best friend in surprise, "How did you know...?"

Ui-Bong grinned, "I'm your best friend. Of course I would have known what your song was about." He clapped Yoojin on the back, "Do us proud, rock star."

Yoojin took a deep breath. And then he left for the stage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yoojin took his seat in the middle of the stage, his fingers clasped tightly around his guitar. He adjusted the mic and faced the audience. Then he began to speak, "I didn't join this competition to win. I joined this competition to have fun, to show that I could do well. And that's why I'm standing here today. I wrote this song for a friend of mine. I've watched that friend strive and fight for her dreams, and I want her to win this. She deserves it." Yoojin looked right at the camera, "Lee Ji Kyung Rian! This song is for you, so you better listen up!" And then he began to strum the guitar.

"I was looking at my dream

that is being deemed far away and I was standing blankly

I don’t have

anything left any more I thought about giving up everything but I am standing up again

Even today, step by step

I step forward carefully My heart is full of fear, but it’s an excitement I’m embracing I am staggering and shaking But, I step forward towards the dream that I am going to meet some day

As I’m thinking if it is going end like this,

a fear constantly comes, I’m hesitating but Deep inside my heart there’s an unstoppable beating that drags me forward

Even today, step by step

I step forward carefully My heart is full of fear, but it’s an excitement I’m embracing I am staggering and shaking But, I step forward towards the dream that I am going to meet some day

Even today, step by step

I step forward carefully My heart is full of fear, but it’s an excitement I’m embracing I am staggering and shaking But, I step forward towards the dream that I am going to meet some day towards the dream that I am going to meet some day."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yoojin looked up as he heard the footsteps approaching. He smiled a sad smile as his eyes met Rian's; they both glanced at the door, where JB was waiting patiently.

"Come to laugh at me for being a love-sick fool?" Yoojin's voice wasn't bitter. It was just tired. So tired he didn't even want to fight anymore. Rian knelt down beside him, "I'm sorry, Yoojin-ah. I know you've been very good to me, and you're a really good friend to me too. I appreciate everything you've done for me so far, but..."

"But that doesn't mean you love me." Yoojin finished. He looked at her, "Can't it be me? Is there no chance at all? If I waited a thousand years for you...will you ever choose me?"

Rian hesitated. She took his hands, clasping them tightly, "If you had come first, if I had known you first...perhaps. But JB..."

Yoojin didn't need her to finish the sentence, "JB's really strong, isn't he? He wins the competition and gets the girl. A typical fairy tale prince. What am I next to him? A frog, an unnoticeable little X Egg. Of course you would choose him."

There was a long silence. Then Rian rose, "I'm sorry I hurt you, Yoojin. To me you're a close friend, someone who knows me. A soulmate. I never wanted to hurt you that way but...to me, you just aren't what I am to you. I'm leaving for America with JB, Yoojin."

Yoojin's head shot up and his lip curled in dislike as he snarled, "He won't even let you stay, let us be friends?"

JB took a step forward worriedly, but Rian shook her head. She turned back to Yoojin, "We both won the competition, best male artist and best female artist. We were invited to Amercia to expand our horizons. We'll be there for five years at least."

Yoojin gave a bitter laugh, "So in the end, I had no chance at all."

Rian turned to leave. Softly, she spoke, "Goodbye, Jin Yoojin. I'll remember you."

And then she was gone.

Yoojin buried his face in his hands and began to cry.

---------------------------------------

Poor Yoojin. I felt so bad for him while I was typing this. JB really took everything from him, didn't he?

This story is quite different from DH. In my mind, JB is a winner. He get what he wants. So although the JB in this story is quite a jerk (evil player boy, remember?) he still wins. Yoojin, on the other hand, is weaker, more vulnerable, more apt to loss. That's how they are characterised in this story,JB as the winner and Yoojin as the one meant to lose. Nevertheless, Yoojin suffered a lot...

Rian, on the other hand, has stayed true to her feelings throughout. Although she sort of chose the wrong guy in this fanfic, but from start to end, she always loved JB and him only. She only ever treated Yoojin as a very good friend, even a soulmate, but not a lover.

On a side note, the song JB sang is called Wish for Youit's my first attempt at writing a song! Is it okay? Yoojin's song is Dreaming, by Kim Soohyun. Comment, people! I'll appreciate it!