Chapter One

Let Me Stand By You(Semi-hiatus)

 

Yoojin stopped abruptly as he heard the sound, just as he had heard for every night the past two months. Slowly, he turned around and walked back to stand outside the room, listening closely.

He was right. She was crying again.

His fists clenched and he had to resist the urge to charge into the room right there and then. Taking a deep breath to calm himself down, he knocked gently on the door and called, trying to keep his voice normal, “Hey, Rian, you wanna go out for lunch together? My treat.”

He heard Rian sniffling as she tried to cover up the fact that she was crying, “No, it’s all right. I…I’m busy right now, you go on ahead first.”

He hesitated for a moment. Who did she think she was fooling, anyway? Anyone could tell that she was crying, let alone him. But there was nothing he could do. Sighing deeply, he made his way to the school canteen himself.

As Yoojin entered the canteen, he noticed a huge crowd of people surrounding the tv at the front. He made his way to the seat beside his best friend, Ui-Bong, asking, “What’s going on? Why’re they all crowding there?”

“Apparently some paparazzi caught JB spending time with Haesung and her family, and there’s some big scandal about him dating her now.” Ui-Bong answered, his tone nonchalant as he shoveled food into his mouth.

Yoojin glanced over at the tv again as he realised now why Rian had been crying. Ui-Bong pushed at him, “Dude, stop dazing, will you? If you want to go talk to Rian, then do so. No one’s going to really care, least of all those two.” He indicated JB and Haesung, who were lost in their own happy world.

Yoojin hesitated for a moment, before shaking his head with a sigh, “She won’t let me. I have no right, anyway and no ability. I don’t mean anything to her.”

He didn’t know when he had begun to notice Rian so much, to care for her so much. At first, he had liked Haesung. That was undeniable. Haesung had been a good, kind friend to him.

But when Haesung began hanging out with JB…everything changed. He hurt whenever he saw them together, and he knew that Rian was hurting too, although he paid little attention to her. After all, everyone knew of Rian’s feelings for JB.

But as he interacted with Rian more and more, he began to pay so much more attention to her. He started to notice her strengths, started to notice how much more she was compared to Shin Haesung.

Where Haesung was weak, Rian was strong. Haesung gave up easily, depending on others to fight for her all the time. But Rian was determined, and would never give up until she had tried her best, all the way to the end. She was beautiful and, despite her mean exterior, she was actually so warm and friendly inside.

Slowly, without noticing it, he had begun to fall in love with her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rian wiped the tears from her eyes, taking deep breaths to calm herself. She glanced over at the newspaper, with a huge picture of Haesung and JB splashed on the front page, and she could feel the tears well up in her eyes again.

She heard the door open, and Nana came to her, wrapping her arms around the younger girl and she murmured, “It’s all right…It’s going to be all right.”

She noticed Siwoo, standing at the doorway, his expression troubled as he watched her.  Ailee stood behind. Even though Rian and Ailee had never liked each other, but now even Ailee looked upset as she watched Rian cry her eyes out.

They were all there. All of them. Except him. But what was there to expect? He didn’t care about her. Not anymore.

She didn’t notice Yoojin standing at the very edge of the door, his jaw clenched hard as he watched Rian weep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“What are you doing!” Haesung screamed.

JB staggered back, stunned. He stared up at Yoojin, whose fists were clenched, and his gaze furious. Yoojin lifted his fist to punch JB again, and JB cringed slightly.

Haesung rushed forward to grab Yoojin, “Stop it! Are you crazy?”

Yoojin was too angry to think about anything else. He shoved Haesung back brutally before lifting JB by the collar. His breathing hard, Yoojin snarled, “Stop hurting her. You chose Haesung so stop hurting her like that!”

Comprehension sparked in JB’s eyes. Looking away, he replied, “I’m not doing anything to her. I’m just leading life the way I like it. If it hurts her, it’s not my fault.”

Yoojin let out a bellow of anger and punched JB again, so hard that JB collapsed to the floor with a loud thud. Yoojin pointed a finger at JB, “She cries every day, all because of you! Why can’t you stop hurting her?”

JB didn’t answer. There was nothing to say.

Haesung grabbed Yoojin’s arm, “Will you please calm down and talk about this peacefully? Stop hitting JB!”

Yoojin pushed Haesung away, “How can I calm down? How can I? I hear her crying in her room every single day, all because of the two of you? Do you know how much she hurts every time she sees you two together?”

“I know.” JB interrupted, his voice low and his eyes downcast, “I know. But…but it’s my life. I want to be with Haesung. And I don’t want to hurt Rian either. I never wanted to, you should know that. But if she’s hurting because of me…there’s really nothing I can do, is there?”

Yoojin heaved a sigh. Kneeling down beside JB, he answered in an equally quiet voice, “Then make the cut complete. Make it complete, so she can recover faster. Don’t confuse her feelings anymore, now that you’ve chosen Haesung. Let me…let me heal her wounds.”

He waited for JB to nod before turning around, striding away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ui-Bong and Seul joined Yoojin at his table, putting down their trays of food next to him. Yoojin was scribbling furiously, his eyes completely focused on the paper before him.

Ui-Bong peered over his shoulder. “What are you writing now? I’ve never seen you so focused on something before.”

Yoojin’s attention was so riveted upon the paper, he didn’t even bother to answer his best friend. Seul scrutinized the paper for a moment before raising an eye, “You’re writing a song? Is it for the audition?”

Yoojin nodded, but he did not stop scribbling as he replied, “Yeah, it’s a song that I’m going to perform at tomorrow’s audition.”

“Who is it for?” Ui-Bong asked curiously, reading the lyrics. Yoojin opened his mouth to answer, then paused. A small, slightly shy smile playing on his lips, he replied, “You’ll see tomorrow.”

Just then, Rian walked past with Nana and Ailee, looking much more composed than the last time Yoojin had seen her. He waved at her, and she waved back. After a moment, she seemed to notice something behind Yoojin. Her smile faded, and she looked away quickly, her eyes clearly upset as she strode away hurriedly.

Blinking, Yoojin turned around.

JB and Haesung were sitting down at another table, eating lunch. JB had an unusually shy smile on his face as Haesung slowly fed him from her own tray. Yoojin’s gaze turned flat, and he returned to his song.

Tomorrow. Tomorrow, everything would change.

------------------------------------------------

Here's two my second favourite pairing in DH2! To be honest, I've always felt bad for Rian when I saw how JB was treating her in the drama, but I was never able to really hate JB for it, because his 'love' for Haesung always seemed so fake and impossible, it just seemed like he was trying to make Rian jealous. You'll notice that the JB in my other stories are typically not the same as the one in this two-shot...which is because this is, after all, a g-minor fanfic. I've always had no qualms about disliking Haesung, however, cos she was always such a to Yoojin. Well, in this fanfic, Yoojin is way smarter and knows better than to like a girl like Haesung when there's Rian around! :) On a side note, is anyone excited about the song that Yoojin was writing for Rian? It'll be unveiled in the next (and last) chapter, and maybe it'll move Rian so much that she falls for Yoojin instead XD

Remember, subscribe and comment!