A Price to Pay

Nostalgia

Flashback...

 

Si Woo clicked on the answer button of his mobile phone. It was Jae Hee calling him late that night.

 

Yeobosaeyo...Jae Hee-ah, ne, I've been so worried about you. You were just so happy when you came to the shop, but you left with a grim face. What happened?”

 

Si Woo-ah...”

 

And there was silence. Suddenly, the lad heard choking sobs. In his heart, he wondered what went wrong that afternoon. His girlfriend acting like this isn't what he was used to seeing. He continued listening to her, unsure whether he'd go see her or not. And she spoke.

 

Si Woo-ah...nal saranghani?”

 

His throat suddenly felt dry. “Ne, saranghe...wae?”

 

When shall we keep being like this?”

 

Jae Hee-ah, don't you trust me? We can make this, ara? Until we finish college, let's keep our secret a secret...”

 

Arrasseo...hajiman..hajiman...”

 

Yah! There's something you're not telling me!” Si Woo was on the verge of tears as he almost screamed. Yoo Jin, who was sleeping nearby, threw his pillow at his room mate and told him to shut up. And so, Si Woo had to go to the laundry room to continue his conversation.

 

My baby love, are you hiding something from me?”

 

A..ani...it's just that..it's just that...” and Jae Hee explained her fears. She didn't want to be disowned that early. If her family knew their secret, she'd be forced to stop schooling. She didn't know what to do then. She doesn't know how to do chores. All she knew was to sing. Problem is that there are many stars in Korea that she feared she might not get a job and that she might have to live in the mercy of others.

 

It's all right, Jae Hee-ah. We've both been betrothed to different people, yet we don't gt to meet them until we graduate college. Gwaenchanha...we'll get through this. Don't you trust me? I'll take care of you...”

 

Go..gomawo, Si Woo-ah..gomawo....”

 

***

At the back of Si Woo's mind, he isn't even sure himself if he could really keep his relationship with Jae Hee till they both finish school. What if someone comes along between them? He'd heard of people talking about Yoo Jin being close to his yeojachingu. And it hurt him so much that Jae Hee isn't even telling him about these matters. He suddenly feared for Jae Hee. Si Woo remembered that he finishes school ahead of her. So he gets to get married sooner than she will. And what will happen to their promises?

 

Having this matter in his head, he stormed off to bed. It made him nauseated.