Chapter 1: Ready...set...GO!

Chasing a Mirage

I remembered that day when I was just scrolling through the channels when I first laid my eyes upon him. The way his eyes glittered beneath the lights, and made his pale skin contrast upon his jet black hair, everything made me attracted to him. I pressed on the info button and saw that it said it was the new Korean channel my mom recently ordered. “New Artists-DBSK” I muttered to myself as I heard each and every boy in the group introduce themselves but I was only in tune for what the boy in the middle would say. “Hello, I’m Kim Jaejoong” He said in an airy voice as he bowed his head for a second and smiled, I swore my heart felt as if it would burst any second.

            “Kim Jaejoong…”I muttered to myself repeatedly over my head afraid I would forget it but I knew I would never forget his face.

            That was the day I promised to myself that I would meet him in real life some day and thus I started my new life.  A life that seemed like I was chasing a mirage, but hopefully it wouldn’t stay like that any longer.

            “Heidi, you’re going home.” I heard my friend whisper to me as I snapped out of my day dream about Jaejoong.  The class harmonized in laughter as I blushed and packed my things quickly into my backpack.

            “What a dork.” I heard Kim say to her little plastic clones as I mentally slammed her face into her desk before I walked out the door and bid my friend Leah good bye. I ran down the hallway to the office when I saw it was Manager Suk.  She smiled at me as she got my backpack and lead me to her silver Mercedes. Before I could ask her anything she lifted her finger to her lips, signaling me to shush as she unlocked the doors and got inside.  I slid into the passenger’s seat and closed the door. I gave her an expectant look and waited.

            “ACE of HEARTS went hit number one on the hottest 100’s album chart and your single ‘Tainted Kisses’ hit number one on the hot singles list as well!” She screamed with much excitement as I mirrored her as well. We jumped in her leather seats as we the radio and there was my single on the radio.

            “This is fantastic!” I screamed as we held each other’s hands and jumped to the rhythm of my song. After it was done, we calmed ourselves as we headed to the record label to discuss more about my album’s success and where I was going next.

            “I told the director we should start breaking into the Asian music markets and he said he was thinking the same thing. Your work for the past four years have been paying off Heidi, you may see Jaejoong soon.” She said as she wiggled her eyebrows at the mention of Jaejoong. I laughed as I hit her arm playfully. Manager Suk was more like my big sister I never had and we told each other everything. It was nice to have her as a friend and a worker.

            “You can joke now about my crush Minji Unnie but I know you have a thing for the director.” I said as I laughed when I saw her blush.

            “Ok ok, touché. I won’t make fun of your crush and you don’t make fun of my crush.” She said as I nodded in agreement.  We finally pulled into the parking garage, parked, and made our way to the lobby.  “Heidi, you should go change in the bathroom while I sign us in and then meet me up at Conference Room A. Here’s your change of clothes and shoes.” She said as she handed me a duffle bag and walked to the receptionist desk as I made my way to the women’s bathroom. The bathroom was empty which was to my relief. I glanced at the mirror and laughed to myself. If only those clique Barbies knew I was the star they all worshipped, then they would have wished they treated me nicely even in my nerdy form. Although I wasn’t that bad looking with my little disguise, I suppose a nerd is a nerd. I stared at the dirty blond hair that was in twin braids and pulled the wig out and fixed my platinum blonde hair. I took off my costume glasses, and removed my hazel colored eye contacts to reveal my dark brown ones and fixed my make up. I gathered a pair of acid wash skinny jeans, black stilettos, a black mini blazer, white tank top, and a cute pale blue scarf from my duffle bag and smiled at my reflection. I quickly made a big bow from my platinum blonde hair, fixed my side sweep bangs and nodded an approval. I quickly cleaned up and put everything else in the duffle bag. I walked out and made my way to the receptionist table, got my ID, and walked to the conference room.

            “Ah, Heidi there you are. Come and sit.” I heard the director say in a loud cheery voice as I took a seat next to Minji Unnie and the director.

            “We’re here to congratulate you for your hit album and song that’s off the rage now and to discuss where you are going next for your career.” The director said as everyone attending clapped their hands as I nodded a modest thank you. The director was really nice and handsome which I could see why Minji Unnie liked him. Director Kim was a fair-skinned Korean man who dressed professionally all the time which was not a problem since his slender figure filled out his business suits quite nicely. I could have sworn he liked Minji Unnie but it was taking forever for them to admit it to each other. I glanced around the table as Director Kim rambled on about the stocks and the trends for my new look. There was the marketing head Mr. Morris, who was of the collection of white men at the record label, he was kind but he had an annoying way of talking to everyone under 18 with the sense they are only little children. Next to him, was Ms. Feng the head of publicity, she was cool-headed but she had a way of being really pushy. It seemed there were three other young looking men but I had no idea who they were. I just figured they were interns under Ms. Feng because I heard she was having issues with finding good quality interns and was cycling through her list really quickly. She was really picky and exact when it came to her job so I felt bad for those who were naïve enough to fall beneath her wrath.

            “Heidi, will have to take a Korean stage name and brush up on her Korean and then, she will make a big splash in both South Korea and the Asian Music Market. Kpop is off the rage now and is the new focal point in the music industry in all Asia so naturally Heidi’s soulful vocal skills will be a hit.” Director Kim said as I nodded in agreement to the set plan. “Heidi’s recent album ACE of HEARTS will have to be translated into Korean, and have a more edgy beat. She will then have her debut on MUSIC BANK in early December.” Director Kim dictated as I felt my gut clench. In a month, I shall appear in front of South Korea-my birthplace, and Jaejoong may see me for the first time.

            “I have a surprise for you Heidi.” Minji Unnie whispered in my ear as she nodded towards Director Kim. I looked at her with a confused look as I heard Director Kim clear his throat.

            “Star Record Label have made a partnership with SM Entertainment and we decided that Heidi shall be the first signed artist of both labels and thus means that while you are in Korea, you will be under the care of SM Entertainment. Thanks to a certain employee, Heidi you will share the same manager as DBSK and you shall have a collaborative song with them.” He said as I smiled widely at Minji Unnie and Director Kim.

            “You leave tonight, so I suggest you pack quickly.” Director Kim said as I lost all complete sense. I jumped up and hugged Director Kim and Minji Unnie as laughter filled the conference room.

            “Thank you!” I repeated many times as Director Kim laughed and detached myself from him and escorted me out.

            “Manager Suk will only you to Seoul and stay for a few days before she flies back here. I hope to see many great things from you in the future so make us proud.” Director Kim said as Minji Unnie and I walked down towards the parking garage. I sighed, “Four years of hard work has finally paid off and now I was going back to where I was born and hopefully-to the place where I would fall in love.” 

            “Ok, Heidi, I know you are only 17 but we are hitting the L.A. clubs tonight! One must celebrate great achievements my mom used to say.” Minji Unnie said as I laughed.

            “Bring it on Unnie!” I said as I turned up the radio and pulled down my window as the autumn cool breeze flooded throughout the Mercedes.

Mean while…On the other side of the world…

            “I refuse. I absolutely refuse.” Jaejoong said in a stubborn tone as the other boys tensed.

            “SM Entertainment already signed a contract with STAR Record Label and you boys will have to collaborate and take care our new artist. She is a hit in America and she is a beauty! How can you disagree?” Director Lee Soo-Man persuaded but Jaejoong’s face remained cold.

            “It’s fine if she is under the same record label, we already have enough of the same types of girls here but why mustwe take care of her. Can’t she be put under someone else’s care?” Jaejoong said in an irritated tone.

            “Director Kim, made it a clause for you boys to collaborate with each other and it’s final. No arguments.” Director Lee said in an equally irritated tone.

            “It’ll be all right Hyung. Somehow we’ll make it work” Junsu said cheerfully as he gazed at the picture of Heidi.

            “I just hate her type the most.” Jaejoong said as he left and slammed the door behind him leaving the men in awe. “She looks like a complete . Her short tank top that never touched her belly, her super short denim shorts, her makeup, everything! I hate that kind of girl! What happened to the image of an innocent pure girl?” Jaejoong thought as he sighed and got into his black 2010 Mercedes Benz and drove off. “Heidi Lee could be the name of my living hell in a body.” He said to himself as he threw out the picture that Director Lee gave him onto the streets below him.