Chapter 2 - The Proposal

Memoirs and Photographs

“Well for now, it will be difficult for you to understand how we met. All I can say is that Mommy Daddy love each other, that is why you’re here and your baby sister.” I replied, grinning at him, and then pinched his chubby cheeks. “Oh, look.” I pinpointed a picture of my husband and me when he proposed to me. “Mommy looks like a doctor here.” Ji Yeong smiled. “But I’m already a doctor.” I chuckled. 

*FLASHBACK*

He hugged me tight. I missed him a lot. Then he kneeled in front of me. “Geum Jan Di, will you accept this Gu Jun Pyo as your future husband?” He gently opened the velvet box and there lies two identical rings. “I fulfilled my promise. Four years was a long time and I don’t want to let go of my moon.” He smiled, took my hand, and inserted the ring in my finger. “I miss you so much” He squeezed my hand tightly.

I cupped his cheeks, smiled sweetly and said “Yes, I do”. He immediately stood up. I reached out for his hand then inserted the other ring in his finger. He took me to his arms tightly as I wrapped my arms around his waist. I leaned my face to his chest, inhaled his captivating scent as he buried his face to my hair. “You made me the happiest man in the world. As I promised, I’ll never let you go.” He whispered to my ear.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

“So that’s what happened before your Daddy and I got married.” I explained. “Ooh. Ring? Like the one on your finger?” he grinned. “Mommy, look. Uncle Kang San, Grandma, Grandpa, Mommy, Daddy…” he continued. “Ah, that was the day when your daddy asked my hand for marriage to your Granma, Grandpa and Uncle Kang San.” 

*FLASH BACK*

He bowed down in front of my parents to pay respect to them, and then he took my hand.

“Mother, Father.” He said. “Good evening. I am here to ask your permission to marry your daughter, Geum Jan Di.” He continued.

It was my first time seeing my parents serious in front of Jun Pyo. They always pulled comedic acts or silly things when he’s here in our house. Well, this isn’t the time to be joking around; after all, it’s my future that we’re talking about. Then Mom looked at us, straight in the eye.

“We all know how Jan Di suffered before.” Mom said coldly, and then looked to Dad and Kang San.

“I, as a mother, don’t want to see her suffer again.”  Mom continued.

“Yeobeo, are you a bit harsh to Young Master?” Father stated.

“Mom, isn’t your dream to become in-laws with the Shin Hwa Group?” Kang San chuckled.

Mom placed a hand on Kang San’s mouth, stopping him to mumble unnecessary things.

“But then, Jan Di dear…it’s your future that we’re talking here. If that’s what your heart decides, we’ll be supporting you…me, dad, and Kang San” Mom continued. I noticed tears falling from her eyes.

I stood up and hugged her. “Mom, thank you…thank you…” I cried in disbelief. I was so happy.

“E-ehem…” Father intruded. “Young Master, um, I mean Gu Jun Pyo.” Father continued.

“Yes Father?” Jun Pyo asked.

All of us four were looking at the almighty heir of Shin Hwa, Gu Jun Pyo; sitting in front of us.

“As a man, will you promise me to take good care of our Geum Jan Di?” Dad asked straight.

I can’t believe it. The president of Shin Hwa Group respectfully bowed in front of us, as if paying respect to the royalties during the monarchial times of Korea. He mustered these words with courage.

“I do father.” He said.

*End of Flashback*

“Is that so?” I suddenly miss Uncle Kang San, Granma, and Granpa.” Ji Yeong sighed.

“Oh, don’t be sad. We’ll visit them during the weekends okay?” I said.

“Look. Why is Uncle Ji Hoo smiling here? What’s that picture he’s holding? He curiously asked.

“Ah, that was…” I recalled.